Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

3141 - 3160 of 4453 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I don't think it's that WE'VE SLID. The reality is that each team's strength in terms of national perception (RPI/NET/Selection Committee) is dependent on the OOC math.

The consolidation of power conferences makes their math better, and by staying about the same, we look worse.

The ONLY thing we can do to combat this successfully is to do everything in our power to have the bottom half of the league win OOC. Everyone has to rack up as many OOC wins as possible by any means necessary. The top half of the league needs to rack up as many wins as possible AND "get some scalps" (as you guys like to say) along the way.

I think the A-10's best course of action would be to change our NCAA money distribution and create a scheduling fund pool for MBB, where the league says "here's the money to buy nine home wins against cupcakes. Everyone needs to be 9-3 or better OOC."
I think the best course of action for the A10 is for members to decide whether they are committed to high major basketball, or are they better suited for a lower profile league. Why would Dayton, or why should Dayton (or VCU, URI etc) agree to give up NCAA money to fund buy games for schools that aren’t willing, or can’t do it on their own?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I think the best course of action for the A10 is for members to decide whether they are committed to high major basketball, or are they better suited for a lower profile league. Why would Dayton, or why should Dayton (or VCU, URI etc) agree to give up NCAA money to fund buy games for schools that aren’t willing, or can’t do it on their own?
Why would any member voluntarily reassign themselves to a lower league when they can get the benefit of A10 exposure?

In a perfect world yeah you'd kick out and add where needed and make the strongest A10 you can. But that's not going to happen, can't happen legally anyway. So you work with the parameters at hand, and JP made a suggestion. It has some merit, because you'd be paid off down the road by paying now to ensure the conference is/looks stronger come selection time. If everyone remains selfish and bitches about what everyone else [isn't] doing, someone (X) gets scarfed up in the next expansion/realignment.. and it's good for them but not good for everyone left behind. So sure, X got what they wanted - an entire conference with each school devoted to presenting the highest level of BB they can.

But with some foresight, just maybe, the A10 could have gotten there and made an enticing argument to stay. The conference was fielding ~4 teams in the tournament but long-term prognosis at the time was the same schools had to keep carrying the torch and half the conference weren't pulling weight. So while DePaul or St. John's or Georgetown may suck they at least get to play a bunch of home games (err... wins) OOC and not kill everyone's SoS.

If we think our conference is a "big dog" then play like one. Big dogs host games and win them, whether they're all that strong or not. We can't host buy games if we don't have $. If we aren't hosting buy games then we're out on the road losing more often than we want to. And if we're losing more often then we aren't getting credit for beating teams that look good on paper. And then we aren't getting bids.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Why would any member voluntarily reassign themselves to a lower league when they can get the benefit of A10 exposure?

In a perfect world yeah you'd kick out and add where needed and make the strongest A10 you can. But that's not going to happen, can't happen legally anyway. So you work with the parameters at hand, and JP made a suggestion. It has some merit, because you'd be paid off down the road by paying now to ensure the conference is/looks stronger come selection time. If everyone remains selfish and bitches about what everyone else [isn't] doing, someone (X) gets scarfed up in the next expansion/realignment.. and it's good for them but not good for everyone left behind. So sure, X got what they wanted - an entire conference with each school devoted to presenting the highest level of BB they can.

But with some foresight, just maybe, the A10 could have gotten there and made an enticing argument to stay. The conference was fielding ~4 teams in the tournament but long-term prognosis at the time was the same schools had to keep carrying the torch and half the conference weren't pulling weight. So while DePaul or St. John's or Georgetown may suck they at least get to play a bunch of home games (err... wins) OOC and not kill everyone's SoS.

If we think our conference is a "big dog" then play like one. Big dogs host games and win them, whether they're all that strong or not. We can't host buy games if we don't have $. If we aren't hosting buy games then we're out on the road losing more often than we want to. And if we're losing more often then we aren't getting credit for beating teams that look good on paper. And then we aren't getting bids.
I am not an advocate of the league kicking out members, however, it would not surprise me to learn that most of the members are operating their programs the same way they did 10 or 15 years ago. If we want to be a major basketball league, all of the members need to act like major basketball programs. Didn’t St. Bonaventure recently announce the formation of a men’s lacrosse program? It’s not even an A10 sponsored sport! What is the cost - one or two buy games? I know, I know, the lacrosse team adds a dozen or so new students to the university’s enrollment. The bottom line is that schools in the A10 - many of them are well heeled institutions should, on their own, pony up an additional $150 - $200k for two buy games.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
It seems like a good point to stop and acknowledge that nearly all of my posting brethren have several decades on me and the least insulting designation that can given to them is "grumpy old men", even if that designation is itself insulting to Jack Lemon and Walter Matthau, God rest their souls.

·
Piker
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,158

In 2015, I noticed that VCU had already released their full schedule. I will guess is that one of the announcements is the conference schedule.
Would they think of using the Mark Adams end of the season tier scheduling?

3141 - 3160 of 4453 Posts