Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

3361 - 3380 of 4452 Posts

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Lunardi called out his absurdity.

Why is Goodman so rockhard about pooping on the A-10?

Semi-related, but halftime of Gonzaga/Duke, they showed San Diego State highlights and the commentator said that the Aztecs are 3-2 and went 1-2 in Maui, so they have HAVE to beat Nevada or win the MWC Tournament or they're not getting an NCAA bid.

Think about what college hoops has become that after 5 of 33 games, ESPN is saying THIS TEAM will miss the NCAA Tournament:

28-5, 16-2 (in the number 8 conference)
Wins: Xavier, BYU, Illinois State, San Diego, Cal, UNLV, UNLV, New Mexico, New Mexico
Losses: 3 Nevada, 3 Nevada, 3 Nevada, 9 Duke, 26 Iowa State.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
What are the metrics we are using nowdays for team rankings??? I know the RPI is basically dead and there is a new NET system coming out but I can't find those rankings.

Here are the current KenPom rankings for the A10:

78 SLU
83 Davidson
84 Dayton
91 Saint Joseph's
107 VCU
111 Rhode Island
130 UMass
149 George Mason
150 Richmond
153 Duq
164 SBU

206 LaSalle
242 GW
247 Fordham

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
What are the metrics we are using nowdays for team rankings??? I know the RPI is basically dead and there is a new NET system coming out but I can't find those rankings.

78 SLU
83 Davidson
84 Dayton
91 Saint Joseph's
107 VCU
111 Rhode Island
130 UMass
149 George Mason
150 Richmond
153 Duq
164 SBU

206 LaSalle
242 GW
247 Fordham
I thought we would use this hilarious metric...
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi/_/view/overview/group/3

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Ya, I don't know much about the BPI....I think they instituted that about what? 5 years ago for ESPN to try and look like they know what they are talking about when it comes to CBB.

Just looking over that chart, they do have one thing about right so far and that is their SOR ranking. If you look at the A10 list, the lower SOR teams are about right in how I see the league:

Dayton, VCU, SLU, Davidson and St. Joe's are all in the top 100 and those right now without any ranking, are the leagues best teams. Although imho, I don't think the gap between St. Joe's and Dayton (27 to 100) is really that large.

And for the record, that list is in no given order...I don't think that Dayton is the best team in the league; I think they are in that group.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I wouldn’t call the loss to Pitt horrible. The problem is that SLU lost to both Pitt and Seton Hall- both winnable games. It gives credence to the Selection Committees preference to the P5/BE when the eye test is used. The A10 teams can’t beat the middle of the road power conference teams.

The Flyer’s really need to beat Oklahoma today and then beat Miss State at home next week or Auburn on the road in two weeks to have any chance of an at large bid. If they happen to do this, then 12 or 13 conference wins are needed. It sucks that there is no margin for error

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Ya, I don't know much about the BPI....I think they instituted that about what? 5 years ago for ESPN to try and look like they know what they are talking about when it comes to CBB.

Just looking over that chart, they do have one thing about right so far and that is their SOR ranking. If you look at the A10 list, the lower SOR teams are about right in how I see the league:

Dayton, VCU, SLU, Davidson and St. Joe's are all in the top 100 and those right now without any ranking, are the leagues best teams. Although imho, I don't think the gap between St. Joe's and Dayton (27 to 100) is really that large.

And for the record, that list is in no given order...I don't think that Dayton is the best team in the league; I think they are in that group.
What makes it hilarious currently, is that Richmond at 2-3 is the second highest ranked team in the A-10...

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I wouldn’t call the loss to Pitt horrible. The problem is that SLU lost to both Pitt and Seton Hall- both winnable games. It gives credence to the Selection Committees preference to the P5/BE when the eye test is used. The A10 teams can’t beat the middle of the road power conference teams.

Saint Louis beat Seton Hall by 2.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts

Saint Louis beat Seton Hall by 2.
OK the Pitt loss is horrible

It’s a lost opportunity ... same as Oklahoma ... Oklahoma is probably better than Pitt but they both were winnable games that we desperately needed.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts

78 SLU
83 Davidson
84 Dayton
91 Saint Joseph's
107 VCU
111 Rhode Island
130 UMass
149 George Mason
150 Richmond
153 Duq
164 SBU

206 LaSalle
242 GW
247 Fordham
Getting two teams in the top 50 and 6 in the top 100 is still possible.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Conference seems to be dropping faster than a pregnant pole vaulter.
Ya, I'll update Ken Pom in the morning but this is a real thing at this point. I can't recall the league ever being this bad. Now, as far as bids go, believe it or not, in the mythical Temple/Xavier years, there were years where we were actually a 1 bid league then too.....but this is bad right now. Stats to chew on:

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncb/projections/standings/

Essentially 3 teams predicted to win 20 games by last game of the year (A10 tourny not included). Davidson, Dayton and VCU.

And then there is this:
@enthusiAdams
4h4 hours ago
More
Non-Conference Winning% (+50%) versus D1 Opponents Only thru 11/24/18
1. ACC 85%
2. Big 12 84%
3. Big Ten 82%
4. Big East 71%
5. SEC 70%
6. WCC 70%
7. AAC 68%
8. Pac-12 63%
9. MVC 60%
10. MAC 57%
11. SoCon 54%
12. MWC 54%
13. C-USA 53%
14. A-10 51%

·
Registered
6,915 Posts

·
Piker
8,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,378

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
What does RPI & SOS say? Might as well go with all the metrics.
You do know that the RPI is dead at this point and won't even be considered.

The flaw, and I'm on record saying this for years here, not just this year is the SOS model they use. Look at both VCU and Dayton this year up to this point:

VCU SOS 50
Dayton SOS 99

If you honestly think that VCU has played a SOS up to this point that is 49 spots tougher then I don't know what to tell you. RPI SOS is simply based on W-L record of your opponent. Nothing more, nothing less.

The RPI SOS is what JP has talked about for ever on here and when it applied, he was right. It is much better for Fordham to go 12-1 in OOC and play NOBODY (which they are doing this year; it's like they were 10 years too late on all this and now it doesn't matter LOL) so that when VCU or Dayton play Fordham in conference play, even though we all know that a 12-1 Fordham team is still bad, it completely helps out your RPI ranking because you played a "tough SOS" team that netted you a 12-1, well if you beat them, a 12-2 record towards your SOS. It's why all the other models out there show Dayton has having played a tougher SOS then VCU, other than the now dead RPI. And again, if you believe the RPI over the others then I'm not sure what to tell you.......

Dayton last year played 2 Tier One games (or whatever they are called)...if things hold up, Dayton will play at least 6 this year. Mississippi State and Auburn on the schedule still and then 2 with VCU.

·
Piker
8,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,380
then 2 with VCU.

?

VCU has a bunch of top 100 games left to play. This is about to be a brutal stretch. at ODU, at UVA, at Texas, College of Charleston, Rider. I think all are top 100 but not sure.

Oh, you were talking about VCU as an opponent. Sorry

3361 - 3380 of 4452 Posts