Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

3921 - 3940 of 4476 Posts

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Rothstein also reporting that Obi Toppin will enter the NBA draft.

But as Rothstein has also tweeted countless times:

PSA: Under new NBA Draft rules, players are allowed to retain an agent to guide them through the process and then terminate them later on if they wish to return to school.

What does that mean?

There won't be significant clarity to who will be back for 19-20 until late May.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I may not have stocked up enough bourbon for this off-season.
That's OK, seems like there was still plenty left at the liquor* store the last time I visited.

*Substitute "package", "ABC", "state", etc. for "liquor" depending on your state of residence. I love Maine since it is sold in grocery stores.

·
Piker
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,931
Waiver for what reason?
These days when a coach leaves a program they can apply for a waiver to play right away. College football players seem to be approved at a much higher rate than college basketball players though.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
End the waivers. This is supposed to be college athletics. The physical and personal development in unison with another full year of free academics should be viewed as a GOOD thing. If you transfer, you sit. Period. No guns to heads here. If a kid can find a better option in the NAIA, Europe, G-League, or NBA, then that is their prerogative. This isn’t a basketball factory. It’s college athletics.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
End the waivers. This is supposed to be college athletics. The physical and personal development in unison with another full year of free academics should be viewed as a GOOD thing. If you transfer, you sit. Period. No guns to heads here. If a kid can find a better option in the NAIA, Europe, G-League, or NBA, then that is their prerogative. This isn’t a basketball factory. It’s college athletics.
We're also talking about scenarios where players are often left in situations they didn't sign up for when the coach is fired or leaves and the rest of the team does too. It's like going to a school for a major and they get rid of it while you're there. This is especially true for Daly. If anything, he's the exact kind of situation where a waiver *should* be granted.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Sign with the school, not the coach.

Daly’s case is one of the very rare waivers I’d be okay with. He did his sit out year, and then his coach was fired. In that situation, no harm done.

One other thing I’d like to see is a four-year scholarship guarantee if a player signs an NLI. If a kid wants to transfer, okay, but no more coaches running kids out of town because they aren’t quite up to snuff. If a player is meeting the academic and program requirements, he should be able to ride it all the way out.

Recruiting evaluations and mutual commitment need to matter. Players aren’t slabs of pasta slung against the wall by al dente-gauging line cooks.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts

Daly’s case is one of the very rare waivers I’d be okay with. He did his sit out year, and then his coach was fired. In that situation, no harm done.

One other thing I’d like to see is a four-year scholarship guarantee if a player signs an NLI. If a kid wants to transfer, okay, but no more coaches running kids out of town because they aren’t quite up to snuff. Recruiting evaluations and mutual commitment need to matter. Players aren’t slabs of pasta slung against the wall by al dente-gauging line cooks.
We both know players commit to the coach and not the school, and the coach commits to the coin.

That said, I agree with your latter suggestion. Coaches need to be held accountable for their recruiting and player development if it goes south. If we want to show a commitment to a player, 4 year scholarship. Average students get it, student athletes should too.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts

One other thing I’d like to see is a four-year scholarship guarantee if a player signs an NLI. If a kid wants to transfer, okay, but no more coaches running kids out of town because they aren’t quite up to snuff. If a player is meeting the academic and program requirements, he should be able to ride it all the way out.

Recruiting evaluations and mutual commitment need to matter. Players aren’t slabs of pasta slung against the wall by al dente-gauging line cooks.
The NCAA allows, but does not require, 4 year scholarship agreements. Fordham grants them. The Big 10 guarantees them.

Despite that, kids still get pushed out. We have had at least one instance under Neubauer where we were at 12 scholarships b/c one kid was enrolled and on scholarship, but not playing b/c Neubauer no longer wanted him on the team.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Yeah... unfortunately, that stuff will happen, ace, but my point is that the ball should be in the player’s court. If he wants to ride out his scholarship for personal or academic reasons, he can. Guaranteeing four-year rides for NLI signees would also declaw some of the “players should be free agents and never have to sit” bloviators.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Well it's kind of hard to keep up seeing as it's a...
Carla Tortelli and Bilbo Baggins’ love child, he of the “full” Duquesne roster, will host another 2019 recruit in 6’7” Jeremiah Davenport. He’s the brother of former Bonnie Michael Davenport.

I have my next “You’re fired!” gif queued for Lil’ Keith’s next run-off victim.

3921 - 3940 of 4476 Posts