Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

4241 - 4260 of 4960 Posts

·
Piker
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,241
Grand Canyon was a for profit university when they first joined Division I. They have since switched to a non-profit in an effort to fit the mission of the NCAA, their current conference and their future conference.

Liberty was founded by evangelical televangelist Jerry Falwell -- who notably campaigned against civil liberties for gay people (whom he basically called child molesters and murderers),
But his son and the current President of Liberty has a pool boy. Go figure.

·
Piker
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,242
Happy Friday everyone. I am a bit bored and about to embark on a Cape Cod vacation. I see that Duquesne is getting hyped about beating up teams in the Bahamas. Any other teams on vacation playing some club teams?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Happy Friday everyone. I am a bit bored and about to embark on a Cape Cod vacation. I see that Duquesne is getting hyped about beating up teams in the Bahamas. Any other teams on vacation playing some club teams?
I didn't notice anyone getting hyped about winning those games. What people were interested in was how well various players looked. Sincere Carry looked healthy, why wouldn't we get hyped about that. He'll compete for A10 player of the year as a junior and senior IF, he can stay healthy.

·
Piker
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,244
I didn't notice anyone getting hyped about winning those games. What people were interested in was how well various players looked. Sincere Carry looked healthy, why wouldn't we get hyped about that. He'll compete for A10 player of the year as a junior and senior IF, he can stay healthy.
I was talking about how well they played. Maceo Austin appeared to play well. Nothing wrong with getting hyped. I know that I do every year.

·
Registered
119 Posts
UD the 2nd most underrated job in America

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/candid-coaches-which-school-is-the-most-underrated-job-in-college-basketball/

"They probably have the best fan support outside of the power conferences as they are routinely in the top 25 in attendance. Their fans are as knowledgeable and passionate without being overly fanatical, at least from the outside looking in. There is tons of tradition and Ohio is very talent-rich, so there is a local recruiting base. Although they aren't beating out Ohio State for kids, they can now have a chance to compete with Xavier and Cincinnati, as both of those programs go through their recent coaching transitions."

"From an all-around standpoint, it's an unbelievable basketball situation in that they're in a great league right out of the [power conferences], sell out every night, charter everywhere, it's a basketball-hot area of the country where it means something to people. I would say that's one of the most underrated great jobs in the country. If you can get Dayton, I'd rather be at Dayton than a mid-level job in the ACC."

"I think it is Dayton. It is not a power-conference job, but has everything a power-conference job has in terms of facilities and infrastructure. They draw incredibly well, their fans travel well and they are in an area where they can recruit well."

On to Dayton: The votes it got from coaches were enthusiastic ones. Great region, great fan support, connotation to the NCAA Tournament every year, big boy in its league. Easy to see why UD got a lot of votes, and in fact a few coaches who wound up picking other schools noted Dayton as a finalist in their thinking. The Flyers came close to winning this question. (Big year ahead for UD, by the way.)

·
Registered
7,509 Posts
Hmm. What's your opinion?
I would have stayed with the grey hawk and left it at that. Adding the crimson one on top looks extra dumb. I think we needed to do something different. I suspect this might get tweaked.

Horrifying. It doesn’t fit SJU’s identity at all. Way too “UCF” for a program with the Hawks’ tradition.
The old floor sucked. This is better. I would have kept it simpler and still modernized it.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I would have stayed with the grey hawk and left it at that. Adding the crimson one on top looks extra dumb. I think we needed to do something different. I suspect this might get tweaked.
I agree. I'm not really a fan of the blown-up full size court logos, but the gray hawk wasn't terrible. But the red hawk over top of it just doesn't make any sense and only takes away from it. Pick one or the other.

Edit: Now that I watched it again, I don't like the whitish colored floor, either. I think a more traditional wood color and just the red hawk that they have now would have looked much better.

·
Registered
7,509 Posts
I agree. I'm not really a fan of the blown-up full size court logos, but the gray hawk wasn't terrible. But the red hawk over top of it just doesn't make any sense and only takes away from it. Pick one or the other.

Edit: Now that I watched it again, I don't like the whitish colored floor, either. I think a more traditional wood color and just the red hawk that they have now would have looked much better.
I agree with your edit. I would have done a slightly larger version of the red hawk, but I think keeping it flat and simple would have been great. Like I said, I think there will be tweaks.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I agree with your edit. I would have done a slightly larger version of the red hawk, but I think keeping it flat and simple would have been great. Like I said, I think there will be tweaks.
Yes to the flat and simple. When I said the red hawk they have now, I meant the new one in the video that's over top of the gray one, not the one from last season. That minimalistic style, a little larger like you said is all they need.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts

The old floor sucked. This is better. I would have kept it simpler and still modernized it.
Disagree. The old floor was classic and didn't scream "look at us keeping up with flashy bullshit court design". One of the very few things I admire about Duke is them keeping a very understated, simple, classic court.

I'm not a fan of the monster sized logos on the courts right now.

I think the new floor sucks.

·
Piker
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,257 (Edited)
Eamonn [email protected]
It’s time to check in, and dive deep, on VCU, where a focused group of seniors good enough to make a deep tournament run are all back — and all business. https://theathletic.com/1164662/2019/08/28/state-of-the-hoops-program-vcu-will-be-very-good-again-scary-good-if-the-offense-delivers/

PS-Can a admin look into why posted tweets are not loading on this site?

Now that ace93 showed me the error of my ways I can do it again.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Disagree. The old floor was classic and didn't scream "look at us keeping up with flashy bullshit court design". One of the very few things I admire about Duke is them keeping a very understated, simple, classic court.

I'm not a fan of the monster sized logos on the courts right now.

I think the new floor sucks.
I tend to agree. It detracts from the product on the floor. Fordham should look into putting an obnoxiously huge ram on their new floor.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts

·
Piker
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,260 (Edited)
4241 - 4260 of 4960 Posts