Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

4301 - 4320 of 4453 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I think you alluded to it - recent performance. He was 8-24 in A10 his first two years with us. Eliminating those two seasons, he's been 98-71 since, not bad. And 51-21 in the last four seasons as well as getting us to respectable overall win % OOC+A10.

Support has wavered but not recently. I think Andrew Nicholson saved his career and perception among Bona fans by bailing him out in 2012 and getting to the tournament. His coaching has improved steadily in most fans' eyes and he's done well. He's also had good players which speaks to his recruiting. No doubt last season was a tremendous coach and player development example going from the pits OOC to a a couple baskets or plays away from returning to NCAA.

I think where you're going to have UR fans saying no way is Schmidt comparable to Mooney is because in the last 4 years he's been 35-37 and on two straight 20-loss seasons. "What have you done for me lately" right?
Repost of my post on Infernal Ramnation...

"Maybe it is the trend?

Years/Avg Kenpom/Wins-Losses/%
Mooney
2008-2011/89.5/91-48/.655%
2012-2015/85.5/75-59/.560%
2016-2019/143.75/63-69/.477%
Schmidt
2008-2011/165.25/54-68/.443%
2012-2015/93.75/69-57/.548%
2016-2019/92.25/86-45/.656%"

·
Piker
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,306
I see Bona and Rhody were recruiting him and I also think that Mooney just went over his scholarship limit.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
That article was confusing, as it talked about him coming into the A10 this season, and then mentioned he was going to play his senior year.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Nope...Wilson is a 2020, and we have an open 2019 schollie this year that will go to him.
Actually he is correct, Mooney is over his Mooney Scholarship limit(12) but not the NCAA Scholarship limit (13)

And when are you returning to manage recruiting news on our board?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Recruiting analyst Corey Evans is reporting Jamir Watkins a 6' 7" small forward from Trenton, NJ has committed to VCU. Watkins was also being recruited by WVU,Seton Hall,St. Johns, Virginia Tech and George Mason, Saint Bonaventure, LaSalle and other schools.

·
Piker
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,316
I found out he was picking VCU yesterday morning. I heard that Obinna Anochille-Killen had his official visit cancelled due to a commitment from Watkins.

This is an important class due to past coaching changes and incoming class/player defections due to the changes. 2020 is a five player class. So far Ace Baldwin, John Banks and Jamir Watkins are in. Two more to go.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I found out he was picking VCU yesterday morning. I heard that Obinna Anochille-Killen had his official visit cancelled due to a commitment from Watkins.

This is an important class due to past coaching changes and incoming class/player defections due to the changes. 2020 is a five player class. So far Ace Baldwin, John Banks and Jamir Watkins are in. Two more to go.
I don't quite get the connection between getting Watkins and cancelling OAK's visit. Seems like they play different positions, and with 2 more spots, getting another big in there wouldn't be a bad thing.

That said, with the remaining two, I hope we're looking at a transfer or a JUCO just to balance the classes out a little.

·
Piker
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,318
I don't quite get the connection between getting Watkins and cancelling OAK's visit. Seems like they play different positions, and with 2 more spots, getting another big in there wouldn't be a bad thing.

That said, with the remaining two, I hope we're looking at a transfer or a JUCO just to balance the classes out a little.
Let's talk a little about that. I have theories. VCU got Watkins who is 6'7. Let's call him a wing. Obinna can play under the basket at 6'8 but he is also a wing. Back during the season I got a text asking for me to tweet something about Obinna coming to a game. The reason was the coaches were very high on him. They wanted him. Obinna is adopted and he lives in West Virginia with his family. They chose to take visits and they seem to be enjoying the process. They also seem to want that West Virginia offer. Could the coaches gotten tired of him dragging his feet? Maybe but I think Watkins came into the picture and then they filled the spot that they saw for Obinna. Now they will most likely take Mikael Brown-Jones a Philly native who is down to VCU and Temple. Maybe they will try for a big man with the last spot. VCU always has trouble getting guys over 6'10. There have not been too many of those guys in the history of the program. They might hold that last spot for a grad transfer or a JUCO player to even out the classes. On Obinna, I think he is more of a project than Watkins and you have to go with the coaches who evaluate and watch these guys play. Well, at least I go with them because I have no other choice. Ha!

·
Piker
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,319
Hearing rumblings that Mikeal Brown-Jones from Philly now with IMG Academy might be announcing soon. It is between VCU & Temple with what I hear a VCU lean.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Let's talk a little about that. I have theories. VCU got Watkins who is 6'7. Let's call him a wing. Obinna can play under the basket at 6'8 but he is also a wing. Back during the season I got a text asking for me to tweet something about Obinna coming to a game. The reason was the coaches were very high on him. They wanted him. Obinna is adopted and he lives in West Virginia with his family. They chose to take visits and they seem to be enjoying the process. They also seem to want that West Virginia offer. Could the coaches gotten tired of him dragging his feet? Maybe but I think Watkins came into the picture and then they filled the spot that they saw for Obinna. Now they will most likely take Mikael Brown-Jones a Philly native who is down to VCU and Temple. Maybe they will try for a big man with the last spot. VCU always has trouble getting guys over 6'10. There have not been too many of those guys in the history of the program. They might hold that last spot for a grad transfer or a JUCO player to even out the classes. On Obinna, I think he is more of a project than Watkins and you have to go with the coaches who evaluate and watch these guys play. Well, at least I go with them because I have no other choice. Ha!
Thanks, that definitely sheds a little more light onto it. I knew the staff seemed to prioritize Obinna, so was surprised that the visit was scratched. I like the Watkins commit, so am not complaining, just was curious about it all. As for other bigs, I'm not sure where we fall in the Christian Fussell recruitment, but he'd be a great get and is listed at 6'10". VCU and Dayton both made his final 5.

4301 - 4320 of 4453 Posts