Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

4741 - 4760 of 4915 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
A mere 4 days later, and geez Coach Cox...you have to go and TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF! We didn't have enough players for a full team last week, but we've replenished since

Mitchell twins (PF/C) transfers from Maryland.
Abou Ousmane - PF. 3-star '20, decommitted from Cleveland State '19.
Malik Martin - G. Transfer from Charlotte, little brother of Hassan Martin joining the Rhody family. 38% 3-point shooter which we really need. Tyrese Martin will probably wind up the better player, but I also don't see him improving to over 35% from distance.

The immediate transfer rule does not appear to be the slam dunk it appeared to be before, so we will have to see if we get full years of service out of the Mitchells and Martin or not.

It appears we were close to getting Norance Tres Berry, TN PG '20, but based on his social media scrubbing of Rhody posts I'm thinking the choice was either Martin or him.
So why did the Mitchell Twins leave Maryland?

·
Piker
8,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,744
Didn't they beat up a teammate? Sort of like when Demolition beat up Mr. Fuji at the 1988 Survivor Series?
I used to walk wrestlers into my high school gym, take them drinks, set up the ring and collect their robes and belts during the Mid-Atlantic wrestling years. I made some good extra cash when I was a teenager. I had interactions with many from Andre the Giant, Ricky Steamboat, Ric Flair, Blackjack Mulligan, Igor, Superfly Snuka, Arn Anderson and on and on and on. One time I was laughing at Ivan "The Russian Bear" Koloff because of him pissing off all of the redneck fans with his USSR is your daddy routine. I went to get his belt and he yelled, you laugh at me! You steal my belt you dirty American! and he spit at me. It hit me on the shoulder. After his match I was taking drinks to the heels' locker room. Koloff came up and smacked me on the back really hard and said, it's all part of the show kid! Then he said, give me some of that mixer. He grabbed a cup of coca-cola and reached in his locker for a bottle of Jack. Man oh man I have so many stories from those days. I went in one time and Andre the Giant was sitting on two stools eating a loaf of french bread and drinking a bottle of red wine. The bottle looked like an airplane bottle of liquor. Crazy. Haaaa!

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
I used to walk wrestlers into my high school gym, take them drinks, set up the ring and collect their robes and belts during the Mid-Atlantic wrestling years. I made some good extra cash when I was a teenager. I had interactions with many from Andre the Giant, Ricky Steamboat, Ric Flair, Blackjack Mulligan, Igor, Superfly Snuka, Arn Anderson and on and on and on. One time I was laughing at Ivan "The Russian Bear" Koloff because of him pissing off all of the redneck fans with his USSR is your daddy routine. I went to get his belt and he yelled, you laugh at me! You steal my belt you dirty American! and he spit at me. It hit me on the shoulder. After his match I was taking drinks to the heels' locker room. Koloff came up and smacked me on the back really hard and said, it's all part of the show kid! Then he said, give me some of that mixer. He grabbed a cup of coca-cola and reached in his locker for a bottle of Jack. Man oh man I have so many stories from those days. I went in one time and Andre the Giant was sitting on two stools eating a loaf of french bread and drinking a bottle of red wine. The bottle looked like an airplane bottle of liquor. Crazy. Haaaa!
Holy Schmidt. I could listen to old wrestling tales for hours. If sports ever happen again, we’ll have to party and talk Andre booze tales. That era, while a touch before my time, was so outstanding. As a kid, I’d religiously rent videos including many of the wrestlers you listed above. They were a few years older, but better than what was going on in the 90s.

·
Piker
8,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,746
Holy Schmidt. I could listen to old wrestling tales for hours. If sports ever happen again, we’ll have to party and talk Andre booze tales. That era, while a touch before my time, was so outstanding. As a kid, I’d religiously rent videos including many of the wrestlers you listed above. They were a few years older, but better than what was going on in the 90s.
A friend of mine waited a table for him here in Richmond at the Jefferson Hotel. For breakfast she said he ate something like a dozen scrambled eggs, something like 15 slices of bacon, a baguette of bread, two bottles of wine and a big pitcher of orange juice. She could not believe it. She told me all about it because she heard some of my wrestling stories on our overnight shift as dorm security guards we worked together. One time I had to clean up the locker rooms and one of the sinks had a couple of bloody razor blades. It was from the Ric Flair/Blackjack Mulligan match. One guy that always made me laugh was Rufus "Freight Train" Jones.

·
Registered
947 Posts
So why did the Mitchell Twins leave Maryland?

Totally understandable, when my boss treats me like crap I ask my mom to call up and put him on blast.

I think my optimism falls under the "they really won't screw up their second chance, right? Right?!" :unsure:

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Totally understandable, when my boss treats me like crap I ask my mom to call up and put him on blast.

I think my optimism falls under the "they really won't screw up their second chance, right? Right?!" :unsure:
The Mitchell twins, per Adam Zagoria, are eligible to play after the first semester. Do you know if they will be sophomores or second semester freshmen?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Kentucky is usually a great team to get non conference because they always have new players and never come out of the gate that well. See Evansville and Utah from this past season. Beat them and you have the gift that keeps on giving as the season progresses

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
The Mitchell twins, per Adam Zagoria, are eligible to play after the first semester. Do you know if they will be sophomores or second semester freshmen?
Unless the rules have changed, they will be sophomores. They both played too many games in the first semester to get a redshirt, so their freshman year was the first semester at Maryland. Their sophomore year will consist of only the second semester at URI.
I have never fully understood the mid-year transfer b/c guys lose a year of playing time essentially.

It used to be that you had to sit a year in residence at your new school, but guys are getting waivers for that now it seems (assuming Zagoria is right), otherwise these twins would have to sit a full year at URI.

·
Registered
947 Posts
My understanding is they would be still in their first year of eligibility if starting mid-season (5 years to play 4 seasons). HOWEVER, if the transfer rule gets waived, then they would be starting their sophomore season at the beginning of this coming season. Benefit is we get a full season next year, but shorted one portion of a season overall.

Edit: I see the games played now, they will be sophomores either way. With the way the waivers are going I'd predict the worst for a player going to a non-P5 destination. So the hope is the rule gets changed this offseason and they play right from the start of the year.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Trust me, rhodyruckus: for the long term health of your program and college basketball as a whole, you do NOT want that immediate transfer eligibility legislation to pass.

Either way, it seems like the Mitchell twins will be sophomores this season—HOPEFULLY (sacrificing the short term for the long) at the start of the second semester.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Trust me, rhodyruckus: for the long term health of your program and college basketball as a whole, you do NOT want that immediate transfer eligibility legislation to pass.

Either way, it seems like the Mitchell twins will be sophomores this season—HOPEFULLY (sacrificing the short term for the long) at the start of the second semester.
I don't disagree, but it seems inevitable and if so better this offseason than next after we can't get an advantage. In fact I think the sheer quantity of transfers will leave a shortage of roster space with MOST programs in the country if all their incoming players are sitting at least half a year. We'll have a bunch of teams with 3 freshmen in the starting lineup, including Rhody because of the combined transfers out and transfers in.

But in the long-term, it is going to turn any non-P5 program into a farm team to take players from after outstanding freshman or sophomore years.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
I’m not so certain it’s a sure thing in either direction. The P5s have the cash, but not the numbers. If the other 25ish leagues consolidate the vote, then this asinine proposition may never come to fruition.

4741 - 4760 of 4915 Posts