Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

4781 - 4800 of 4915 Posts

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
You know what needs to be stopped at once? These cliché Twitter/Instagram meme-style messages from basketball players. Those, as well as recruits saying they are “blessed” to receive an offer. Holy shit, guys. It’s a sport. You aren’t resigning your post on the front lines at Waterloo.

Edit to add: While we’re at it, let’s eliminate placing “Nation” after team names. F***!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
This should give the FireMooney crowd renewed life.
If they extend the MoonMan's contract, and these guys leave, they'll be a riot in the RVA.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Whoa! Not so fast, my friend!

The lame “Nation” thing started, I believe, with the Raiders.
Red Sox (1986) came before the Raiders (~1994, all I could find was that it was after they moved back to Oakland, so I'll give them the first year of it).

The Steelers started using the term in 1978. On their page I noticed a link to "Cardinal Nation" as well, which claims to have started using the term in the 1930s. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinal_Nation)

So...uh. Blame the Cards? Unless you want to blame the more modern start of it on the Steelers or the most recent big one in the Raiders. The Sox were ~8 years after and ~8 years before the other two more recent ones, so hard to pin the blame on them.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Red Sox (1986) came before the Raiders (~1994, all I could find was that it was after they moved back to Oakland, so I'll give them the first year of it).

The Steelers started using the term in 1978. On their page I noticed a link to "Cardinal Nation" as well, which claims to have started using the term in the 1930s. (Cardinal Nation - Wikipedia)

So...uh. Blame the Cards? Unless you want to blame the more modern start of it on the Steelers or the most recent big one in the Raiders. The Sox were ~8 years after and ~8 years before the other two more recent ones, so hard to pin the blame on them.
That all seems well and very reasoned, except for the fact that it is a lot more fun to pin blame on the Red Sox.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts

The Steelers started using the term in 1978. On their page I noticed a link to "Cardinal Nation" as well, which claims to have started using the term in the 1930s. (Cardinal Nation - Wikipedia)

John Facenda referred to the Steeler fanbase as the "Steeler Nation" sometime in the mid 70s.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Gonna continue like this for a bit. I don't mind the old school "hire the coach from this place as your new coach/assistant to get players" method.
I think the method is fine, but my only hangup is that Woodstock Academy is not that good.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I think the method is fine, but my only hangup is that Woodstock Academy is not that good.
?‍♂

Currently have the 3rd highest ranked incoming class in the A10 on 247. At the very least having a good portion of them come from the same background will hopefully result in not having locker room nightmares.

4781 - 4800 of 4915 Posts