Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

4841 - 4860 of 4960 Posts

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Of all the things that are infuriating about the NIL and transfer issues, it is the serial abuse of logical fallacies by the opposing viewpoint (opposed to my view, I should make clear) that stands out most. Read any writing or debate text, and you'll see the same type of ad hominem, bare assertion, circular reasoning, straw man, red herring, and generalized assertions used as examples one should AVOID in making points.

As much as I've had problems with Jon Rothstein, the guy simply presents statistics, quotes from relevant figures in the field, and reasoned forecasting on these matters. What does one see in the replies to his content? You guessed it: an avalanche of the aforementioned logical fallacies. It is EXHAUSTING.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Of all the things that are infuriating about the NIL and transfer issues, it is the serial abuse of logical fallacies by the opposing viewpoint (opposed to my view, I should make clear) that stands out most. Read any writing or debate text, and you'll see the same type of ad hominem, bare assertion, circular reasoning, straw man, red herring, and generalized assertions used as examples one should AVOID in making points.

As much as I've had problems with Jon Rothstein, the guy simply presents statistics, quotes from relevant figures in the field, and reasoned forecasting on these matters. What does one see in the replies to his content? You guessed it: an avalanche of the aforementioned logical fallacies. It is EXHAUSTING.
When you don't think that the leagues outside of the P5 are important, then your opinions will reflect what works great for the P5. The P5 doesn't care about the other schools. They're probably annoyed that Villanova has allowed the BE to be a nuisance that they can't easily get rid of. They want their dream 32 team, double elimination tournament that will get rid of the Loyola's of the world, while at the same time, reducing the possibilities that the Final Four could be polluted by P5 dregs. Duke vs UK, KU vs UNC!! Yes yes yes!!! ?

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Was teammates with current freshman Kyle Rose. Won a state championship at the highest level in Maryland. Rose has promise, but I hope Butler brings more to the table.

·
Piker
8,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,849

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
So, you're saying the Spiders are A10 preseason champions?
Hah! I'm thinking if they cancel this season also, then we were clearly the champs.
Other than that, I'm hesitant to go out on a limb and claim the preseason championship. I've seen what that does to a certain fan base in past years.
It's not a pretty sight.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Good question. For myself, I support one A10 school (duh), and then of course my alma mater.(who didn't make the cut in that article)
Cool. In that case I have one team in and one team out. The one that is out is obvious. The one that is in is my hometown Miami Hurricanes. They brought their program back when I was a freshman in high school, so I have followed them for their entire modern history.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Blah, blah, blah.....
I’ve been thinking about this Paul, but I’m OK with UR claimin the Preseason Championship cup for its trophy case. It was difficult to come to grips with this decision because of UD’s astonishing streak of winning this coveted award, but as a program we have moved forward. It’s not a good look for the A10’s Crown Jewel.

4841 - 4860 of 4960 Posts