Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

4901 - 4920 of 4927 Posts

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
This is the most asinine thing I've heard about. One trip to a full conference tournament, isn't what's going to make or break a school financially. If you want to reduce costs, cut the season down to 10 or 12 conference games and get everyone into the tournament.

Common sense and logical thinking have been tossed.
One trip to a full conference tournament isn't a "huge deal" but when you're cutting that out of all the sports, it adds up. If you fly, airlines screw you on changing your plans when you lose.

And let's be honest, if you look at the history of A-10 tournaments, a double-digit seed has made the SEMIS only once ever (2011).

So you've got teams seeded 11-14 spending money to travel when they have no chance of winning. Makes no sense.

Also, conference games in MBB are cheaper than non-conference games; because you're not paying someone to come play you. (That's basically what a conference IS - a group of teams who decided to play each other every year and have the guarantees/expenses come out in a wash).

That's why the A-10 will go to 20 conference games. Because your options are Win OOC by spending money to buy someone, or get bought and lose.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
One trip to a full conference tournament isn't a "huge deal" but when you're cutting that out of all the sports, it adds up. If you fly, airlines screw you on changing your plans when you lose.

And let's be honest, if you look at the history of A-10 tournaments, a double-digit seed has made the SEMIS only once ever (2011).

So you've got teams seeded 11-14 spending money to travel when they have no chance of winning. Makes no sense.

Also, conference games in MBB are cheaper than non-conference games; because you're not paying someone to come play you. (That's basically what a conference IS - a group of teams who decided to play each other every year and have the guarantees/expenses come out in a wash).

That's why the A-10 will go to 20 conference games. Because your options are Win OOC by spending money to buy someone, or get bought and lose.
Don't know the NCAA rules but you could reduce the season by 10% say from 32 games to 28 and have 16-18 conference slate. This way at the most you the same or less OOC games.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
NCAA will vote on transfer rule possibly in January. It could go into effect for 21-22 season, if adopted.
For the sake of a somewhat honest and academically-driven system of college athletics, that must be voted down.

To compromise, I would love to see National Letters of Intent guarantee four years of scholarship—as long as the student-athlete is in good standing academically, socially, etc.

If you transfer as an undergraduate student, then you sit. Period. It is critically important for transferring students, given the demands on D1 athletes, to have a year in residence.

For the vast majority of athletes, catching up on credit hours and satisfying a new school’s core curriculum would set back their graduation timeline without the sit out. Heck... lots of basketball and football players only take 12 credit hours per semester. That, combined with no year in residence, would not portend strong grad rates among transfers.

Ditch the waiver process entirely. It has opened the door to all sorts of shady bullshit. As I’ve said before, if a hardship requires a transfer closer to home, then focus on that issue while practicing, studying, and not traveling all over the country.

Allow immediate eligibility as an option for graduate transfers. Most master’s degrees take two academic years, and that timeline could be further extended with the rigors of an athlete’s schedule. Any school accepting a grad transfer from another institution must guarantee two years of full scholarship—the player and coach can determine whether immediate eligibility or a sit out year is ideal, but that scholarship spot counts against the 13 limit both years.

End rant.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Bill, would you have a clause in your proposal that if a coach bailed on the school, the players were free to transfer without the sit out year?

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Bill, would you have a clause in your proposal that if a coach bailed on the school, the players were free to transfer without the sit out year?
Not without condition, no. A coach leaving doesn’t void a contract between player and school/program. I suppose those situations could involve a potential waiver IF there was some egregious deception on the part of the departing coach or if the entire staff left at once.

Remember: players choose to accept all benefits associated with signing an NLI. No guns to any heads. Universities deserve some protection here, and one of the biggest fallacies in this whole debate is that all D1 schools are raking in cash hand over fist. Most struggle to break even, and they deserve to expect some semblance of stability.

Getting back to the departing coaches, we need to work something out there. I would prefer coaches not being able to leave until their contract expires or if a huge buyout can be reached. This would be similar to professional coaches under contract: sure, they could leave prematurely... but heavy compensation typically follows.

Long story short, I genuinely want to get things back to focusing heavily on graduating players and having stable programs.

Too often, the P5 and its lobbyists skew the issue toward some form of preposterous “indentured servitude”. Nothing could be further from the truth at most D1 institutions with the 98-99% of athletes who won’t play in the NBA, NFL, MLB, etc. I’ve had D1 athlete(s) in my family, and believe you me: it’s a pretty damned good deal for the student-athlete who takes the “student” part seriously.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
For the sake of a somewhat honest and academically-driven system of college athletics, that must be voted down.

To compromise, I would love to see National Letters of Intent guarantee four years of scholarship—as long as the student-athlete is in good standing academically, socially, etc.

If you transfer as an undergraduate student, then you sit. Period. It is critically important for transferring students, given the demands on D1 athletes, to have a year in residence.

For the vast majority of athletes, catching up on credit hours and satisfying a new school’s core curriculum would set back their graduation timeline without the sit out. Heck... lots of basketball and football players only take 12 credit hours per semester. That, combined with no year in residence, would not portend strong grad rates among transfers.

Ditch the waiver process entirely. It has opened the door to all sorts of shady bullshit. As I’ve said before, if a hardship requires a transfer closer to home, then focus on that issue while practicing, studying, and not traveling all over the country.

Allow immediate eligibility as an option for graduate transfers. Most master’s degrees take two academic years, and that timeline could be further extended with the rigors of an athlete’s schedule. Any school accepting a grad transfer from another institution must guarantee two years of full scholarship—the player and coach can determine whether immediate eligibility or a sit out year is ideal, but that scholarship spot counts against the 13 limit both years.

End rant.
They're going to do whatever the P5 schools tell them to do. The P5 is in charge now, not the NCAA. Unless Kentucky and company are against this, expect it to pass.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Davidson fans:

What is Luke Frampton's status? He abruptly left the 2019-2020 Wildcats for personal reasons, but I haven't heard anything about his status going forward. Is he expected back on Lake Norman?

Duquesne fans:

Is Coach Carla Tortelli expected to cut down to 26 players around the time new Buccos skipper Derek Shelton does the same?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I'm glad you guys subscribe to The Athletic. I can't afford it, myself. I am saving up, though, for when it hires the very last sportswriter in America. By my calculations, it only has three or four to go, including JP Butler.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Top 10 of the unwanted label;
#2 St Louis
#3 Richmond
#6 Dayton

4901 - 4920 of 4927 Posts