Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

4921 - 4940 of 4960 Posts

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Richmond is currently slated to play true road games at Kentucky, Cincinnati, Colorado State, Vanderbilt, and Charleston as part of its non-conference schedule next season. The Spiders will also host MVC favorite Northern Iowa in the start of a home-and-home series.
He may wish he had followed the Dayton example of no true road games in the OOC schedule.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Five OOC away games is insane. Excluding UK, this is a good OOC schedule but not one that is good enough that a loss is OK. Why play five OOC true road games.? Seriously?

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Really, of those 5, UK is the only truly daunting task. They can be, and have been, had in recent years. The other 4 can cement the Spiders' status as an AL going into conference play. But yes, that looks like a John Chaney schedule, which was fine in 1995.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Twice in the last 3 years, little Wofford College has traveled up Tobacco Road to play at Chapel Hill. And won both times. Sh$t happens.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
In the contemporary landscape, most non-P5s need to accept at least three OOC road games, but our league would be much better served to make that the limit—barring extreme circumstances.
Agree, but we are usually in that 3-5 road game range, with not much $ to buy places out. And what bugs me is they're land mine games - this is why I've always liked getting into the dome to play SU - at least there's nothing to lose.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Are you saying playing Net 31 at home and Net 76 away don't give you the exact same chance of winning?
I’m saying it’s better to win the NET 76 at home vs losing the NET 76 on the road. Most teams have a better chance of winning at home.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
That seems to contradict some recent things we'v learned doesn't it? If you recall winning percentage was removed from the NET.
The Team Value Index - the most heavily weighted component of the NET - rewards teams for winning against good teams. It’s not playing against goods teams it’s winning

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
The Team Value Index - the most heavily weighted component of the NET - rewards teams for winning against good teams. It’s not playing against goods teams it’s winning
Except we know that's not fully the case. There were multiple instances of P5 teams losing to stronger P5 teams and jumping 3-4 positions in the NET the next morning, even late in the year when it should be taking wins to move that many lines in one game. It absolutely is "playing against good teams". JAF you've jumped the shark.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Except we know that's not fully the case. There were multiple instances of P5 teams losing to stronger P5 teams and jumping 3-4 positions in the NET the next morning, even late in the year when it should be taking wins to move that many lines in one game. It absolutely is "playing against good teams". JAF you've jumped the shark.
How many A10 teams moved up after losing to Dayton? Zero?

I think the TVI is a little more complex than simply saying that a loss against a higher ranked team caused a jump forward in ranking. You have to look backwards to see if wins are getting better and even at better ranked teams that are sliding. I think that all +300 Div 1 teams would have to be tracked if someone like JP would want to break the code.

The NET absolutely favors the P5. The winning percentage components at least rewarded teams like SDSU and UD ( and Gonzaga historically) for dominating their conference schedules.

4921 - 4940 of 4960 Posts