Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

5741 - 5760 of 5859 Posts

·
Piker
9,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,742
UR should double his salary and sign him to a lifetime contract.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yeah, there you go. Punish those who contracted COVID. That's the American way.
I'm thinking a three tier seeding process for the tournament.
Top: Teams that beat LaSalle
Middle: Teams that split with LaSalle (including LaSalle)
Bottom: Teams that lost to LaSalle

Isn't that the way things usually work out anyway?

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
That rumor was started by the Fire Mooney billboard crowd.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
The NET being used is funny to me because Colgate is #10. The NCAA is a joke.
The biggest problems with the NET is that it's secret, and they made this some big catch-all formula... but then use all the components of NET independently anyway. If NET isn't total garbage, give Colgate a 3 seed, because you're own tool says they're #10. If you don't believe Colgate is 10, then scrap your shitty formula.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I really do think they need to revamp what's schedule.

Bona has played 5 games vs A-10 teams with winning records and is 3-2; 4-1 vs the bottom 6. UMass is 0-1 vs the Top 8, and 6-1 vs the bottom 6. If both split two games, UMass gets the double-bye. UMass has DUQ/SJU as their next two games listed, Bona has GW and Dayton.

You've got to TRY and balance out the schedule a little bit; or use an average of Conference Win Pct ranking and NET rankings to seed the tourney.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
If this next week doesn't become a train wreck, two teams should get in 18 conference games, a couple maybe16, maybe 4 get in 14, and then it goes all the way down to 8 (and possibly fewer). Six teams likely will play 12 or fewer games. So what is your magic number to mark those teams that have played sufficient number of A10 games?

We are talking A10 games here, but SLU had OOC games with Gonzaga, Michigan State, Auburn, BC, and Memphis all Covided away.
I don't think there really is a magic number, especially since the end result is going to be all over the place. The problem for me is instead of trying to schedule the games over the last 6 weeks, they are rescheduling now and piecemealing the seeding rules. Also, not stepping in when UR and Davidson scheduled D3 schools seems to be a failure. Those are two spots that SLU, Richmond, Davidson, Bona, etc. could have played.

·
Piker
9,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,750
I don't think there really is a magic number, especially since the end result is going to be all over the place. The problem for me is instead of trying to schedule the games over the last 6 weeks, they are rescheduling now and piecemealing the seeding rules. Also, not stepping in when UR and Davidson scheduled D3 schools seems to be a failure. Those are two spots that SLU, Richmond, Davidson, Bona, etc. could have played.
Duquesne is coming out of pause tonight with a game against SLU. No DIII warm up game.

Reactions: JonBoy

·
Registered
595 Posts
Duquesne is coming out of pause tonight with a game against SLU. No DIII warm up game.
Not true. We were supposed to come out of our pause the play Mason, which was cancelled so that Bona could play Mason, which was cancelled so that Virginians wouldn't slip in the snow.

Our next game is Saturday vs. Richmonds. The late cancellation meant no time to schedule anything coming out of our pause.

·
Piker
9,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,752
Not true. We were supposed to come out of our pause the play Mason, which was cancelled so that Bona could play Mason, which was cancelled so that Virginians wouldn't slip in the snow.

Our next game is Saturday vs. Richmonds. The late cancellation meant no time to schedule anything coming out of our pause.
Sorry. Dayton is playing SLU tonight. But they are coming out of pause to play UR without a scrimmage.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
This is a pretty messed up season if you're complaining about another team's practice schedule.

·
Piker
9,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,755 (Edited)
Here are changes. Duquesne put them on their website.

PITTSBURGH – Duquesne will close out the 2020-21 Atlantic 10 regular season with games at La Salle on Wednesday, Feb. 24 and at home vs. Rhode Island on Saturday, Feb. 27 it was announced by the Atlantic 10 Conference this afternoon.

The schedule changes coincide with Thursday's conference announcement that the men's A-10 Championship First and Second Rounds as well as Quarterfinal and Semifinal games will all move up one week to March 3-6 - with the title game remaining as previously scheduled on Mar. 14.

The Dukes, who play at Richmond tomorrow, had their game at La Salle, originally scheduled for the 27th, moved to the 24th.

The Rhode Island game, which is new to the schedule, will be the second meeting between the two this season.

On Jan. 20, the Dukes came back back from a 15-point second-half deficit to defeat the Rams, 71-69, at Kerr Fitness Center on the campus of La Roche University.

Next Saturday's game will the be the second men's game at the new UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse.

The regular-season finale could also be the final home game for fifth-year seniors Tavian Dunn-Martin, Michael Hughes and Marcus Weathers as well as grad transfer Ryan Murphy, should any of the four not exercise the option of playing next season.

Times for both games are to be announced.

Here is a complete list of the schedule changes announced by the Atlantic 10:

Tuesday, February 23
UMass @ Richmond – TBD
Saint Louis @ VCU – 6:00pm (CBSSN)

Wednesday, February 24
George Washington @ George Mason – TBD
Dayton @ Saint Joseph's – 7:00 pm
St. Bonaventure @ Davidson – TBD
Duquesne @ La Salle – TBD

Friday, February 26
Richmond @ Saint Louis 7:00pm (ET) ESPN
GW @ St. Bonaventure TBD

Saturday, February 27
VCU @ Davidson – 2:00pm ESPN
Rhode Island @ Duquesne – TBD
La Salle @ George Mason – TBD

Sunday, February 28
Dayton @ St. Bonaventure – TBD ESPN
UMass @ Saint Louis – TBD

Monday March 1
Saint Joseph's @ Richmond – TBD

Reactions: 1105

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
We were following the Davidson model.
Seriously, I have no idea what caused all the scheduling problems with Richmond.
But I don't think it was some nefarious plot to screw the conference. They played a good OOC schedule as best they could, and the Covid stuff is what it is. Affected a lot of teams.
4 more A10 games scheduled. Hope we help everybody.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
I still can’t get over the A10 offices scheduling Bona and Davidson twice. It makes no sense.

If Bona wins both, it doesn’t really move the needle nationally (even though it should) AND would likely knock the DC games into Q2/Q3 territory instead of Q1/Q2. Of course, most SBU folk fully expect McKillop to scorch us like Scorpion from Mortal Kombat.

We took on that game at VCU to help the conference while knowing how tough it was. We’re now out of first place because of it. Our reward? Landmines the rest of the way. Good teams like DC and UD, which are capable of beating anyone in the conference. The way to go would be to keep the one game with Davidson, one with Dayton, and then GW, SJU, and/or FU. Balance mid-to-upper games with some lower in the standings.

Interesting, too, that we don’t get back the home game with SLU.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
AA, help me out here. Wasn't there a re-match scheduled with you guys?
Did it get cancelled with the re-done A10 schedule?
Thanks.

·
Piker
9,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,759 (Edited)
AA, help me out here. Wasn't there a re-match scheduled with you guys?
Did it get cancelled with the re-done A10 schedule?
Thanks.
Yes, it had been re-scheduled for March 6th but then they moved the A10 tournament to the 3rd. The third game at Dayton and at UR was canceled. The date of the 6th was tenuous before this announcement. It was only a couple days before the original tournament date.

Reactions: paulxu

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Why can't we get SLU or Richmond on 2/26. Fuck this conference. Like we don't exist. No effort to help us out. 2 worst covid offenders in the league pair them up instead of making them improve the others.

5741 - 5760 of 5859 Posts