Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

5761 - 5780 of 5859 Posts

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Is it because you've already played those 2 teams, but not yet GW?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
How much is it on the league and how much on the individual schools? It seems like up until this week that the schools were on their own making theses changes, like a 3rd game for VCU and Dayton.

·
Piker
9,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,763
How much is it on the league and how much on the individual schools? It seems like up until this week that the schools were on their own making theses changes, like a 3rd game for VCU and Dayton.
I have read articles about VCU's mad scheduling scramble that began when Tennessee went on COVID pause and VCU quickly joined the South Dakota tournament. Jimmy Martelli is in charge of scheduling and he gets on the phone immediately with the conference and other teams. I am pretty sure the A10 has to give approval. Martelli was active in filling games.

·
Piker
9,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,765 (Edited)
That article is so John O'Connor and UR. I was talking to a friend the morning of the A10 announcement and he told me some things that raised my eyebrows. My friend knows and talks to VCU/A10 officials. He said that VCU's remaining schedule would drastically change as would other A10 teams. He also told me that UR had complained about the March 6th VCU/UR game and they planned to opt out of it but that was mostly because they thought they would win at VCU. Of course, this is not verifiable but my guy is always right. He has let me in on a bunch of happenings over the years and he has been 100% on all of it. I find it funny that Hardt and Mooney are now upset especially after scheduling a DIII team.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
That's the last time the Moon man lets you go first at the Stu.

·
Piker
9,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,767
That's the last time the Moon man lets you go first at the Stu.
That article is typical of O'Connor. He was basically on Twitter begging for the return VCU game after the A10 announcement. He also cast blame toward SLU when they opted out of playing before UR went on pause. It is nobody's fault but UR especially after playing a DIII opponent when other A10 teams would have taken a game. Lots of whining in that article.

Reactions: JonBoy

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
“Due to the interruptions and pauses caused by the pandemic, I believe the Spiders would have benefited from being able to play more regular-season A-10 games.”

So let’s schedule a D3 team

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Richmond paused activity for Covid on Jan 31st.
If a 14 day protocol, the earliest they could come back would be Feb 14th, and they played SMMD, and then 3 days later played VCU on the 17th.
Who else could they have played on the 14th from the A10?
Dayton, URI, La Salle and St Louis played on the 16th.
Bona and UMass were cancelled on the 14th, I assume from Covid.
Davidson was in protocol after cancelling their VCU game.
George Washington, La Salle, St Joe's and Dayton, Duquesne and Mason, URI and Davidson were all cancelled the day before, assumedly from Covid protocols.

Maybe, and it's just maybe, there wasn't anyone else to play when Richmond came out of protocol and had VCU scheduled on the 17th. And maybe not.

·
Piker
9,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,770
If a 14 day protocol, the earliest they could come back would be Feb 14th, and they played SMMD, and then 3 days later played VCU on the 17th.
George Washington, La Salle, St Joe's and Dayton, Duquesne and Mason, URI and Davidson were all cancelled the day before, assumedly from Covid protocols.

Maybe, and it's just maybe, there wasn't anyone else to play when Richmond came out of protocol and had VCU scheduled on the 17th. And maybe not.
Why are the whining about things when everyone else in the A10 was also affected?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

They didn’t have to schedule St. Mary’s. That could have been a date filled.

·
Piker
9,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,772
They didn’t have to schedule St. Mary’s. That could have been a date filled.
I would have to go back and look but I am pretty sure that Dayton and Bona had weekend games postponed before they announced that St Mary's-Maryland game.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Dayton had a game on the 16th. Don't think they would have played on the 14th. But maybe.
I don't know about whining. Everyone here seems overly hurt by UR's buy game.
Maybe the Bonnies would have stayed in town after the VCU game to play us in 2 days. Don't know.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I would have to go back and look but I am pretty sure that Dayton and Bona had weekend games postponed before they announced that St Mary's-Maryland game.
Dayton had a week off before the URI game on the 16th. They would have had to play on the 14th, 16th and 19th. Not normal scheduling but as we know nothing is normal right now.

The optics of UR and DC scheduling D3 games is not good.

EDIT: The Bonnies are finishing their season with 4 games in 8 days. None are against D3 teams.

·
Piker
9,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,777
So...
No weekend at Bernie's for Hardt, Mooney, or O'Connor?
Hardt screwed up and O’Connor is trying to cover for his mishaps. He came at Bernie hard and you can tell she is none too happy with the Spiders.

5761 - 5780 of 5859 Posts