Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

6141 - 6160 of 6204 Posts

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
They hadn’t aired anything yet,’' the A-10 source said. “They weren’t plugged in yet.
Everything else aside, money, existing deals, etc, this statement is just asinine at face value. Fox Sports was going to succeed.

I still feel like FS1/2 are little brother sports networks to ESPN. But most of our games are not on ESPN (TV), many on ESPN+ sure, but NBCSN is going away, and CBSSN is hard to get in a standard package.

I'm not saying they are wrong or right or that I wish anything different. We may have made our way into worse obscurity buried on FS1/2. But that statement kills me.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,606 Posts
I'm going to post this article not to discuss the waste of space that this article takes up on a server somewhere, but because of one tiny tidbit within it. I also throw out the reminder that I am a big proponent of "media markets are dying metrics of relevance," but it's the offseason, so here it is.

Oh... another example of Bernadette playing things overly conservatively?

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,606 Posts
I’m not breaking Dukes fans’ chops when I say this, but how isn't Dambrot’s roster activity covered by anyone?

Maybe there's a perfectly reasonable explanation, but why is he able to seemingly stretch the scholarship limit without others replicating it? What is he doing that others don't? It’s a very fair question.

I’m honestly not saying anything nefarious is (or isn’t) going on, but what’s the deal? Are some of these players unreported walk-ons?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I’m not breaking Dukes fans’ chops when I say this, but how isn't Dambrot’s roster activity covered by anyone?
I don't know, but I don't think I follow the Dukes as closely as you do. In fact, I don't know that Dambrot follows them as closely as you do, so this may be news to him.

My guess is that he and the AD's office know what they are doing. I've never heard of any red flags from his current or former teams. In fact, I believe that Dambrot was/is on the NCAA Rules Committee as recently as last year. Maybe I am misremembering this.

·
Registered
423 Posts
At one time on this board, well before Keith Dambrot, the complaint was that Duquesne did nothing to deserve staying in the A10. Then Dave Harper comes along and hires KD who begins bringing Duquesne back from the depths and now the issue is whether Coach is somehow evading the rules with the number of recruits/scholarships (when not, of course, insulting Dambrot's stature or looks - how is that OK to do by the way?).

I understand that's not Mr. Russell's intent as he states (i.e. "breaking Duke's fans chops") and his comment is certainly relevant. But his comments also make me want to reply generally, something I almost never do here. My guess is that the NCAA is somehow not simply allowing Duquesne and its coach to do whatever it wants while the rules are enforced for everyone else. It's not like Coach's attempts to keep DU moving forward are done in hiding. Everything is on the internet and everyone here knows what is going on. I assume the NCAA does too. And the times certainly are different and he is responding to that difference (transfer portal), unlike what other DU coaches have done in the past when a response to changing circumstances was required.

So, the bottom line is look at it as Duquesne's attempt to do what everyone wants - make DU basketball competitive which contributes to improving the overall standing of the A10 while hopefully ending the nightmare it has been for almost 50 years.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
My outsider’s observation is that Dambrot over-recruits and has a lot of roster turnover. I don’t watch DU’s roster that closely so I might be off base here. I don‘t have an issue with the practice, primarily because many A10 teams do this in some manner.

Dayton has had a least one player transfer out each year under Grant. He doesn’t necessarily over-recruit but there is always a scholarship available for transfers or opportunistic “gets” like Amzil.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
My outsider’s observation is that Dambrot over-recruits and has a lot of roster turnover. I don’t watch DU’s roster that closely so I might be off base here. I don‘t have an issue with the practice, primarily because many A10 teams do this in some manner.

Dayton has had a least one player transfer out each year under Grant. He doesn’t necessarily over-recruit but there is always a scholarship available for transfers or opportunistic “gets” like Amzil.
I think what people have a hard time getting their head around is how often Duquesne has 10 scholarship players on roster and Dambrot has 10 signed letters of intent for that same season.
By each deadline the number of scholarship players is the required 13 though.

·
Piker
10,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,150
I think what people have a hard time getting their head around is how often Duquesne has 10 scholarship plays on roster and Dambrot has 10 signed letters of intent for that same season.
By each deadline the number of scholarship players is the required 13 though.
The transfer portal & scholarships is talked about every off-season. Rinse & repeat. The issue with the portal is that scholarships are honored one year at a time. I know people hate to hear that but it is true. Some players are pushed out to upgrade the roster. The NCAA is before the supreme court at this very moment. Yesterday Justice Thomas asked why collage coaches make so much money when it is considered an amateur sport. There are layers to the college big $ sports. Evaluations are conducted with players after each season and you can bet that pretty much every coach tells a player or two or three that they are not in future plans. People get on the players for transferring but there are many reasons they do so. More minutes, a new experience in a new location and the tough one...your scholarship is rescinded.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

Their VC page is listing them at one over the limit right now after the addition of Pedro Castro. This also includes two non-scholarship players. In a vacuum, that's not unusual this time of year as most programs can expect a player to leave between now and November. I don't follow the team that closely, so my news really just comes from this place. I don't remember who Dambrot recruited, who was left over, and what players were "fill in the gaps" type of guys after he became coach.

I see some of the movement as related to him filling the roster with whatever he could for a year or two until he got more cemented in the recruiting trail w/ Duq. Rhoades did the same thing his first year. But there is a lot of movement shown on the Sr. and Jr. classes. With 7 freshmen coming in, I would expect more turnover to continue, though.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
The transfer portal & scholarships is talked about every off-season. Rinse & repeat. The issue with the portal is that scholarships are honored one year at a time. I know people hate to hear that but it is true. Some players are pushed out to upgrade the roster. The NCAA is before the supreme court at this very moment. Yesterday Justice Thomas asked why collage coaches make so much money when it is considered an amateur sport. There are layers to the college big $ sports. Evaluations are conducted with players after each season and you can bet that pretty much every coach tells a player or two or three that they are not in future plans. People get on the players for transferring but there are many reasons they do so. More minutes, a new experience in a new location and the tough one...your scholarship is rescinded.
I joke about the order of replacing someone before they transfer. That is irritating but understandable.
However having 23 scholarship players attend classes on September 1 since it is preseason knowing you will have roster cuts to 13 by September 28 would seem a bit out of the ordinary...
I assume NCAA basketball operates a little different than the NFL...

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
I joke about the order of replacing someone before they transfer. That is irritating but understandable.
However having 23 scholarship players attend classes on September 1 since it is preseason knowing you will have roster cuts to 13 by September 28 would seem a bit out of the ordinary...
I assume NCAA basketball operates a little different than the NFL...
You are not saying that Duquesne does that, are you, or did someone suggest that is what happens? My apologies if I am not following.

I, for one, do not have a serious issue with what Dambrot does, although it looks like a lot of movement on the surface and is hard to keep track of. It is better than the position that Fordham has put itself into by offering 4 year scholarships. My preference, of course, would be to fall somewhere in between, but there is close to zero loyalty on the players' side at this point, so it is tough to expect much loyalty from the coaches. Too many players have delusions of grandeur.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
You are not saying that Duquesne does that, are you, or did someone suggest that is what happens? My apologies if I am not following.

I, for one, do not have a serious issue with what Dambrot does, although it looks like a lot of movement on the surface and is hard to keep track of. It is better than the position that Fordham has put itself into by offering 4 year scholarships. My preference, of course, would be to fall somewhere in between, but there is close to zero loyalty on the players' side at this point, so it is tough to expect much loyalty from the coaches. Too many players have delusions of grandeur.
I am saying that is Bill's typical rant about Duquesne. I am not saying or suggesting that there is any evidence that any irregularities go that far.

However summer "Media" releases would seem to indicate that. But can simply be paperwork not catching up with information leaks.
Plus so often blurbs not distinguishing between Verbal Commit, LOI, and enrollment...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Jordan is from St. Louis and played at St. Louis Christian Academy. He was heavily recruited by Penny Hardaway for the Memphis class of 2021. He left high school and joined the Tigers for the second semester of 20/21. Played sparingly.

6141 - 6160 of 6204 Posts