Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

6241 - 6260 of 6356 Posts

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,646 Posts
"Made it necessary"

What a loaded phrase.
It begs a number of questions—not the least of which being, “Why now?” It wasn’t “necessary” during the season. It wasn’t “necessary” before the three or four signings this spring?

Could it be Coach T. hedging his bets and making sure he’d signed satisfactory replacements prior to FIRING Chad?

Oh, and one last thing: How many guys in Santo Domingo are named “Chad Baker”? It sounds like a corn fed Nebraskan’s name the feds gave him for witness protection.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
It begs a number of questions—not the least of which being, “Why now?” It wasn’t “necessary” during the season. It wasn’t “necessary” before the three or four signings this spring?

Could it be Coach T. hedging his bets and making sure he’d signed satisfactory replacements prior to FIRING Chad?

Oh, and one last thing: How many guys in Santo Domingo are named “Chad Baker”? It sounds like a corn fed Nebraskan’s name the feds gave him for witness protection.
BR, I think he was fired, for lack of a better term, but he may have had it coming. KD was not pleased with the team's cohesiveness after the Bonnies sent them packing. He alluded to it having been a problem all season. Probably hedged a little but I think it was clear Baker was going to be on a tight leash if he was still around. KD isn't going to really succeed unless he stops getting players that mirror himself. He's an emotions on his sleeve guy, too high, too low, too mad. That can work if you have players to balance it out. But he has guys who are cut from the same mold and they all just wolf down the negative energy.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts

Probably not many Chad Bakers in DR, but probably not many guys born to American fathers who coach basketball in DR either. Should they have named him differently due to where he was born?

My grandparents on my mother's side thought you should, so they gave my mother a name in English b/c she was born in Kingston, Jamaica. My parents on the other hand did not agree with that so they gave all their kids names in Spanish even though we were all born in the US.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,646 Posts
Probably not many Chad Bakers in DR, but probably not many guys born to American fathers who coach basketball in DR either. Should they have named him differently due to where he was born?

My grandparents on my mother's side thought you should, so they gave my mother a name in English b/c she was born in Kingston, Jamaica. My parents on the other hand did not agree with that so they gave all their kids names in Spanish even though we were all born in the US.
Oh, I get it. It just always sounded like some generic FBI name slapped upon a cooperating mob witness or something, so it made me chuckle.

·
Registered
7,752 Posts
KD isn't going to really succeed unless he stops getting players that mirror himself. He's an emotions on his sleeve guy, too high, too low, too mad. That can work if you have players to balance it out. But he has guys who are cut from the same mold and they all just wolf down the negative energy.
I think this is a huge reason why, for example, Jameer and Bembry worked so well with Phil and those respective teams were so successful.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
These modern ballparks have a lot more character than the cookie cutter stadiums of the 70s. Nobody misses the likes of Three Rivers, Candlestick,, RFK, and the Vet.
The first several did. The more recent ones not so much. They have much better amenities, much higher prices, and not much imagination. My personal favorite baseball stadium is one of the blandest, nondescript facilities of all time, Baltimore's Memorial Stadium. But, it's all about personal memories. I'd give all your guys left arms to be sitting there now drinking a Natty Boh or five staring at Earl's tomato plants down the 3rd baseline.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
We’ll have to agree to disagree on this clearly relevant ”Around the League” topic. I happen to love Citi Field. Yes, the prices are high, but that’s not unique to Citi Field. I never attended a game at Memorial Stadium, but on TV it sure looked like a dump. To each his own, I guess. I used to like Shea. No place rocked, literally, like Shea. It was a dump, but it was our dump.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
We’ll have to agree to disagree on this clearly relevant ”Around the League” topic. I happen to love Citi Field. Yes, the prices are high, but that’s not unique to Citi Field. I never attended a game at Memorial Stadium, but on TV it sure looked like a dump. To each his own, I guess. I used to like Shea. No place rocked, literally, like Shea. It was a dump, but it was our dump.
To continue the digression (its the offseason , who cares?), even though res was just needling 84, Citi Field is a great park. They just need to get a good name for it, I hate these corporate stadiums. I have only been there once but the outside is old school and you can walk the whole inside of it, which is pretty cool. Shea was an absolute shithole and I would piss on its ashes if I could.

Hawk, dont forget Riverfront and old Busch Stadium in St Louis. Awful. Camden Yards, another park I love, was originally brought to the White Sox but they passed on it to build New Comiskey, which is also a forgettable boring waste. How dumb was that?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The first several did. The more recent ones not so much. They have much better amenities, much higher prices, and not much imagination. My personal favorite baseball stadium is one of the blandest, nondescript facilities of all time, Baltimore's Memorial Stadium. But, it's all about personal memories. I'd give all your guys left arms to be sitting there now drinking a Natty Boh or five staring at Earl's tomato plants down the 3rd baseline.
I never got to go there but I would give their arms for that, too. I’ve heard a lot of similar stories about it. I know it’s a crazy concept now, but to be able to bring your own cooler to a ball game? Sign me up.

I’ve never been to Citi so can’t comment on that one. Hopefully one day when I can visit them all.

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
Riverfront (and others?) doubled as football stadiums.
Practical but not warm and fuzzy like old ball parks.
Seems like nowadays they build separate places.

·
Registered
7,752 Posts
Most stadiums come in eras, and most of those eras have similarish looking stadiums. For example, the much hallowed Baltimore Memorial is essentially the same as Milwaukee County. Both built in the 50s, both dumps.

6241 - 6260 of 6356 Posts