Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
6461 - 6480 of 6520 Posts

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Have you seen the corn-fed blonde Hawkeye babes? That would get me there, bubba…
Old joke from my youth... Iowa was either the first or at least one of the first Big 10 schools to install artificial turf for football. The joke running around the rest of the league:

Q. Why did Iowa install Astroturf?
A. To keep the cheerleaders from grazing at halftime.

(Drum roll)

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,729 Posts
Yeah… Bones or not, VCU has a rock solid roster. Top 4 with every reason to expect championship possibilities. Dayton should also be solid, but it all depends on those young guards.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Wait... 🕷 🏀🧡...from a Dayton guy?
What's the world coming to; must be Covid effect.
H/H this year with the Bonnies. Let's go Spiders !

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,729 Posts
I think the Hawks finish much higher than 12th.
I would like to think so, but is Lange’s style going to meet the college game halfway? It’s one thing to roll out set-shooting bigs when they’re Duke level athletes, but Funk and Longpre types won’t cut it. They’re Patriot League bigs. Waaaaay too soft on the interior, and not enough playmaking at point the last couple of years.

Any newcomers addressing this (I ask in sincerity)? If so, top 7-9 would be in play. The wings are pretty solid…

… but I don’t trust Lange.

·
Registered
7,756 Posts
I would like to think so, but is Lange’s style going to meet the college game halfway? It’s one thing to roll out set-shooting bigs when they’re Duke level athletes, but Funk and Longpre types won’t cut it. They’re Patriot League bigs. Waaaaay too soft on the interior, and not enough playmaking at point the last couple of years.

Any newcomers addressing this (I ask in sincerity)? If so, top 7-9 would be in play. The wings are pretty solid…

… but I don’t trust Lange.
Ejike Obinna, transfer from Vanderbilt, and Charles Coleman, transfer from ECU both did not put up great numbers in their former stops, but are big and purportedly take no shit. That should be a marked improvement. Obinna is 6'10" 245, and Coleman is 7'0" 240.

As for playmaking, that's a legitimate concern (as is, well, shot making), but Jordan hall being back is nothing but a good thing.

I think skepticism on the schemes is plenty warranted. I think Hall being back, Funk staying, and Forrest being healthy should lead the team to a better-than-12th spot, never mind all the other returning guys/additions.

·
Registered
979 Posts
For the second year in a row, my hope is just for an improvement to a double-digit win total. In hindsight, Lange's first season was nothing more than a lost teardown season. Other than Cameron Brown who is just a solid rotation player, he really didn't bring in anybody of consequence up through the first semester of his first season, unless Greg Foster comes back productive from his mysterious disappearance. Lange did a little better for his second season bringing in Hall, Bishop and Forrest. But still, we have a long way to go.

"Building a culture" is a euphemism for SLOW rebuild.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
He's not in the ESPN top 100 draft list. Not that he won't go pro somewhere, but I wonder how many fringe prospects could benefit from a normal season post-covid with full arenas and a chance to boost his stock, especially since SLU should be decent enough again.

·
Piker
10,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,478 ·
He's not in the ESPN top 100 draft list. Not that he won't go pro somewhere, but I wonder how many fringe prospects could benefit from a normal season post-covid with full arenas and a chance to boost his stock, especially since SLU should be decent enough again.
He and French could have stayed. Guess they just wanted to move forward in life.

·
Piker
10,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,480 ·
Can't blame them. French would have been 24 years old by A10 tournament. If you're just going to grind through fake professional BB anyway might as well get paid for it. Oh wait.
I saw that French signed with a top Greek league after being cut by the Tennessee Titans.

6461 - 6480 of 6520 Posts