Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
6501 - 6520 of 6520 Posts

·
Piker
10,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,501 · (Edited)
Rothstein has Vince Williams playing guard for VCU. If anyone plays the two guard I would say it will be Jamir Watkins although it could be freshman Jayden Nunn at point and Marcus Tsohonis at the two guard spot. Lots of people will look at Bones leaving and Ace being hurt and they might think VCU is in bad shape. Maybe but there is some depth to this team. Some good returnees that scored and played good D last season, two transfers in Tsohonis and Nichols and some good freshmen. Should be fun to see how they gel this season.

·
Piker
10,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,503 ·

·
Piker
10,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,507 · (Edited)

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,729 Posts
Does Boise mine the transfer market. I need to look them up. Last time VCU competed with them for a recruit I read where they had a good coach.
I need to read up on them, too, but they’ve been consistently good for a while now. Multiple NCAAs, NBA prospects, etc. It isn’t the sexiest first game (and I’m sure their fans are saying the same about SBU), but it could turn out to be a solid top 50-75 neutral game.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Boise was solid last year and nearly made the NCAA. They lost their best player (Alston) and are looking like a 4-5th place team in the MW. Its a good opener from the sense that they wont kill our numbers with a loss. Its pretty clear the top 4 are SBU, Ole Miss, Clemson and WVU so none of them were going to play in the opener. Anything less than 2-1 will be a disappointment. Ideally Bona meets WVU in the final where no matter the result they both kind of win from a resume perspective.

I am glad Marquette is on the other side, they could be a sneaky good team this year. Only drawback with Clemson in the semi is its virtually a home game for them. The Bonnie faithful will represent well though so it could be a raucous gym.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Not wild about the BSU matchup. I think it can only hurt us perception-wise. And they'll have to be solid again this year for it to amount to a Q2 neutral game. Clearly the organizers have WVU/Clemson as the top billing, as expected. I'd have preferred they swap Temple and Ole Miss, and then give us Ole Miss in round 1, only because they're SEC and it looks better whether they or Boise are actually better. But whatever, you go with what you're given. Beat Boise, and hope you get a shot at the big guys from there.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,729 Posts
Woodall is a really nice guy and a solid coach. He’ll do well anywhere he goes, but, being a Brooklyn native, should fit especially well in the Tri-State market.

I figured Tray would ride it out this year and (probably) see his stock at an all-time high, but if he got a promotion and pay bump (which needs to be significant to offset the move from WNY to NYC), then salud.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Sometimes it seems like VCU outrecruits SJU in the Delaware Valley & Eastern Pennsylvania while SJU outrecruits VCU in the DMV.
I'm not sure this guy was high on VCU's list. That's not to say they don't get outrecruited in that area, because it does happen.

·
Piker
10,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,517 ·
I'm not sure this guy was high on VCU's list. That's not to say they don't get outrecruited in that area, because it does happen.
I had not heard VCU was leaving looking at him. Baldwin, Banks, Tsohonis and Nunn will fill that role for several years. VCU got mobile a big man in Fermin and they will continue looking at wings for 2022 I think.

·
Piker
10,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,518 ·
Oh and Winborne looks like a great pick up for the Hawks. Lange is getting guys and they will be good this year.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Woodall is a really nice guy and a solid coach. He’ll do well anywhere he goes, but, being a Brooklyn native, should fit especially well in the Tri-State market.

I figured Tray would ride it out this year and (probably) see his stock at an all-time high, but if he got a promotion and pay bump (which needs to be significant to offset the move from WNY to NYC), then salud.
Someone posted on the FU board that Woodall said he wants to be closer to home and family. Sometimes you are ok with a studio apartment and eating ramen if it's in a place you'd rather be.

6501 - 6520 of 6520 Posts