Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
6541 - 6558 of 6558 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Late to the party, but God bless Duquesne. In an ideal world, no A10 schools would play more than two road games.

This is a good schedule for the Dukes, and really most teams in the A10. Get in a quality tournament, play a neutral site against a Q2 mid major and then play the rest of your games at home.

Not huge on the DePaul game, but it's not the worst game as it is winnable and likely a Q2.

Bona is finally getting its shit together and playing only one true roadie. Absurd to think some years we play as many as five road OOC for NOTHING.

·
Piker
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,545 ·
Mason fans are at their computers today for a 5 o'clock announcement. A Richmond kid named Justyn Fernandez is announcing his decision at 5 pm. He is an ESPN top 100 recruit and it is down to Mason, Florida and NC State among others. I think English will get him.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,777 Posts
Mason fans are at their computers today for a 5 o'clock announcement. A Richmond kid named Justyn Fernandez is announcing his decision at 5 pm. He is an ESPN top 100 recruit and it is down to Mason, Florida and NC State among others. I think English will get him.
Interesting. What type of magic wand is English using to suddenly be in with these types? Florida and NC State take no prisoners on the recruiting circuit.

·
Piker
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,547 ·
Interesting. What type of magic wand is English using to suddenly be in with these types? Florida and NC State take no prisoners on the recruiting circuit.
Not sure. Fernandez is a good player. VCU was on him but then Billups seemed to take precedence. He left his local high school here in Richmond and is now at IMG while Billups is staying at Varina High to finish up. Both are in the same rating range. Fernandez is a bit higher on ESPN in the 70s of their top 100. English has a good vibe about himself and the program so the recruits must feel the excitement. English kind of gives me the Shaka vibe when it comes to recruiting.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,777 Posts
Not sure. Fernandez is a good player. VCU was on him but then Billups seemed to take precedence. He left his local high school here in Richmond and is now at IMG while Billups is staying at Varina High to finish up. Both are in the same rating range. Fernandez is a bit higher on ESPN in the 70s of their top 100. English has a good vibe about himself and the program so the recruits must feel the excitement. English kind of gives me the Shaka vibe when it comes to recruiting.

It can go in a number of directions. The over-the-top, player-friendly, social media savvy persona in young coaches can work, but it can also go the other way if success doesn't come quickly. Many of those types are mostly sizzle, but with little steak (see: Fake Jared Kushner). Still, I hope GMU gets this kid.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Late to the party, but God bless Duquesne. In an ideal world, no A10 schools would play more than two road games.
I agree, God Bless Duquesne. Schedule to help the league! Also, when you played the last couple years off campus while completely rebuilding your home arena, you're not going to be interested in playing many road games the first couple years. Gotta get all that money back from not selling tickets to your campus.

·
Piker
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,556 ·

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,777 Posts
Interesting. They list Lofton and Holmes as juniors. If Bona gets another year from their class in 2022-23, then I might drink the east coast dry.

Edit to add: Dayton is WAY too low in that forecast. It won’t surprise me if they compete for the league title this year.

·
Piker
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,558 ·
Interesting. They list Lofton and Holmes as juniors. If Bona gets another year from their class in 2022-23, then I might drink the east coast dry.

Edit to add: Dayton is WAY too low in that forecast. It won’t surprise me if they compete for the league title this year.
They might stay. Any player that was on a roster last season has an extra year. Players sticking around helps in the short term but is has the possibility to negatively affect recruiting.

Reactions: Bill Russell
6541 - 6558 of 6558 Posts