Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
6801 - 6820 of 7609 Posts

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
With 6 fouls he must have sat down...but while he was in, was the most effective Nugget at +24.
Think I'm glad he turned pro !
Nice to see him doing well.

·
Piker
11,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,804 ·
With 6 fouls he must have sat down...but while he was in, was the most effective Nugget at +24.
Think I'm glad he turned pro !
Nice to see him doing well.
His 6th foul came on a drive to the basket with seconds left in the game. He was called for a charge on a made bucket that was waved off. Bones has had some good games but he has been in and out of protocols and dealt with an ankle injury. He kind of hit a rookie wall for a 5 game stretch but he came out of it last night. He is on TNT I think Saturday night against the Lakers. Bones has cracked the Nuggets 9 man rotation and gets around 15 minutes a game. Sometimes more and sometimes less. Coach Malone has a rep for not playing rookies but he likes Bones.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I do not understand what they did to the NET.

Team A: 2-2 Q1, 2-1 Q2, 3-1 Q3, 5-0 Q4. AVG Win: 174, AVG Loss: 52 = NET 35
Team B: 2-2 Q1, 3-0 Q2, 1-0 Q3, 7-0 Q4. AVG Win: 157, AVG Loss: 29 = NET 37
Team C: 2-1 Q1, 0-2 Q2, 2-1 Q3, 8-0 Q4. AVG Win: 213, AVG Loss: 87 = NET 41

Team D: 2-2 Q1, 2-0 Q2, 1-1 Q3, 5-0 Q4. AVG Win: 168, AVG loss: 56 = NET 90

If Teams A, B and C are 35-41 in the NET, how the fuck is Team D sitting at 90?
Team C's SOS is 229. Team D's is 119.
If Team C is 41, then Team D should be like, 38, 39, 40. Not 49 spots behind them.

A = Oklahoma. B = West Virginia. C = UAB. D = St. Bona.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Well, aside from the fact that a conference variable should not exist (as your schedule is dictated by your conference)...

The A-10 is obviously a better ranked conference than Conference USA, where UAB resides.

The idea that the 3 extra games UAB played -- which are all Q4 wins -- would be 49 spots higher when Bona's resume in the first three quads is superior still makes no sense.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts

If Team C is 41, then Team D should be like, 38, 39, 40. Not 49 spots behind them.

Looks like it has become a gambling statistic.
How much were each team +/- each game against the spread?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts

I didn’t put much effort in to this but Oklahoma’s “body of work” is different than Bona’s. Not all wins or losses are the same despite the fact that the are in the same quadrant. I suspect that the NET values a road loss to the number 1 ranked team more that it does a Q2 home win, and really punishes teams for a Q4 loss. It’s like everything in the middle doesn’t move the needle. This is how the NET favors the P5

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Looks like it has become a gambling statistic.
How much were each team +/- each game against the spread?
Here is what I mean.
You have five games you are favored by 15 in three of them, 2&3 point underdogs in the other two. Total +40 points.
You win all five by 2 points, and are now 5-0.
But that is +10 , not +40 so your NET drops…

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
I would think that "within a quadrant" there maybe weighting going on.
UAB's 2 Q1 wins were on the road.
Bona's 2 Q1 wins were at a neutral site.
(at least I think that's what I'm seeing).
And within the quadrant there could be weighting of the particular opponent's position, which constantly changes.

Actually, some one of the smart guys just needs to reverse engineer this stupid thing to put the questions to bed.

·
Piker
11,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,813 ·
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – The Atlantic 10 has announced that it has rescheduled three previously postponed games and moved another. The changes are as follows:
  • RESCHEDULE: Monday, Jan. 24 | 7:00 pm | Saint Joseph’s at George Mason
  • RESCHEDULE: Monday, Feb. 14 | 7:00 pm | Duquesne at Davidson
  • MOVE (by 1 day): Wednesday, Feb. 16 | 7:30 pm | George Washington at Duquesne
  • RESCHEDULE: Monday, Feb. 28 | 7:00 pm | Massachusetts at Fordham

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
This is sure to make Bill's blood boil. Sorry its behind a paywall

I'll post some quotes:

“We signed three high school players early this year, and two of my three assistants were like, we have to stop recruiting high school kids right now. They were just frantic that we have to save scholarships for the portal. I mean, it was almost comical. I’m going to sign high school players early that are good enough, but I’m not going to take any chances. I think you go hard for the high school kids in the summer and the fall, the ones that can help you, that can play for you. Especially on guards and wings, I ain’t taking no chances. Bigs maybe, because they’re different. But I think that’s a mistake. You can recruit your way right out of your job. You need guys that can help you.’’

“We joke that right now, you’re better off coming in second. Let a kid go somewhere and then you’re the second choice, waiting for him to transfer.”

“If I want to look for a transfer, all I have to do is call up some AAU guy and say, ‘Hey I need a transfer,’ and he does the work for me. Is that OK? When this all went down, I stood up at the meeting and said, ‘OK, this is going to happen. So how are we going to police it?'”

“We’ve got assistant coaches trying to poach our guys all the time. All the time. Here’s how it happens. They talk to an AAU coach — ‘Hey, how’s so and so doing? Just let him know if anything happens, we’d love to have him. Keep us in mind.’ That’s tampering. Last year, at the end of the year, without a doubt we had guys getting calls regularly. The good thing for us is we’ve got enough relationships with AAU coaches and high school assistants, they’ll call us up and give us a heads up. ‘Hey just so you know, so-and-so called me about your guy.’ It absolutely sucks. But every assistant coach wants to get players. They want to prove they can and make life good for their head coach by any means necessary. That’s how it works. We straight up call them out. I’ll call the head coach, or our assistants will call the assistants and say, ‘This is what we’re hearing. Did this happen?’ We tell them, if we’re wrong, we’ll apologize. We haven’t been wrong yet.’’

“The work is being done now. You’re a fool if you think a kid pops up in the portal and it’s, ‘Oh, he’s in the portal.’ Nah, that work is pretty much done, if he’s going somewhere. They’ve already been making calls to coaches. Literally, as I’m talking to you, I’ve got four text messages from AAU coaches saying, ‘Hey, this kid might not be at this school next year. What do you think?’”

“(Redshirting) gives the kid an excuse to not play and work out. That’s the bad thing that people don’t understand, like when a kid transfers and spends a year learning your offense and defense and getting better, when he starts to play, he’s a much better player. The thing that stinks is in the long run you’re actually hurting kids sometimes by not having that as the reality, because part of the reason they’re transferring — a lot of them — is because they’re not good enough to embrace the roles they want to embrace.”

·
Piker
11,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,820 ·
Reactions: Bill Russell
6801 - 6820 of 7609 Posts