Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
7301 - 7320 of 7376 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Fordham makes it official, Keith Urgo elevated to head coach. Good reaction from all the current players. No indication as to what will happen with Will Richardson 4 star, Romad Dean 3 star and Angel Montas 3 star but the staff that recruited them is in place so hopefully no defections but you never know. We have two scholarships left to give likely JUCO or transfers.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Does this benefit non-p5 leagues? One team in these matchups would presumably improve, but it seems like it’s an opportunity to eliminate bubble teams, too.

If Dayton and UNLV are both in the conversation for an at large, would it better to finish out conference play and for both to have a chance to get in than create a winner-take-all scenario that allows another bubble team (from a league not participating in this) to get in?

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Does this benefit non-p5 leagues? One team one these matchups would presumably improve, but it seems like it’s an opportunity to eliminate bubble teams, too.

If Dayton and UNLV are bothin the conversation for an at large, would it better to finish out conference play and for both to get in than create a winner-take-all scenario that allows another bubble team (from a league not participating in this) to get in?
My concern exactly. This is a non-power elimination week, opening the door for more 8-12 power teams. Whatever, they're better anyway.

·
Registered
Iona Gaels
430 Posts
Call me cynical but this looks like the first move toward creating a tangible Division 1A and 1B environment. Get people to start thinking there are two different spheres of Div I hoops, P-(6) and everyone else. Get people conceptualizing there is a distinction between the two. Then eventually this becomes the Division 1B March Madness, where St. Peter's making it to the elite 8 won't cause the AD of Tennessee or Bob Huggins to become apoplectic.

·
Piker
11,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,312 · (Edited)
Does this benefit non-p5 leagues? One team in these matchups would presumably improve, but it seems like it’s an opportunity to eliminate bubble teams, too.

If Dayton and UNLV are both in the conversation for an at large, would it better to finish out conference play and for both to have a chance to get in than create a winner-take-all scenario that allows another bubble team (from a league not participating in this) to get in?
Agreed. Don't do it. OOC is enough and if the league performs well the conference games will be just fine.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Thinking about it more, this should be a hard pass, unless all conferences participate. I’d take a chance against a 7-10 team from the acc; otherwise, this just eliminates their competition.
Didn't they have this on a very small scale pre-covid? It was some stupid made for ESPN showcase type week where they pitted great mid-majors against each other and then everyone realized it was just a killer loss if you didn't win the game? Maybe I'm misremembering. Hard pass for sure. But whatever, the NET says the power schools are better anyway. The NCAAT should just be power conferences. Time for D1-B.

·
Registered
Iona Gaels
430 Posts
Didn't they have this on a very small scale pre-covid? It was some stupid made for ESPN showcase type week where they pitted great mid-majors against each other and then everyone realized it was just a killer loss if you didn't win the game? Maybe I'm misremembering. Hard pass for sure. But whatever, the NET says the power schools are better anyway. The NCAAT should just be power conferences. Time for D1-B.
Yes Bracketbusters. Iona beating Nevada in that event got the Gaels an at large in 2012.

·
Piker
11,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,316 · (Edited)
Yes Bracketbusters. Iona beating Nevada in that event got the Gaels an at large in 2012.
And I remember VCU beating Wichita State. It is all fun and games until you lose a Bracketbuster game and they use it against you. Beating them in front of over 10,000 at their arena certainly helped that year though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
And I remember VCU beating Wichita State. It is all fun and games until you lose a Bracketbuster game and they use it against you. Beating them in front of over 10,000 at their arena certainly helped that year though.
This type of dynamic OOC scheduling can be a double-edged sword to be sure, but I think the positives for a conference like the A-10 outweigh the negatives. There have been far too many mid-major NCAA tournament quality teams that just didn't get the chance because they did not have an extra Q1 win. Maybe this is the answer?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Call me cynical but this looks like the first move toward creating a tangible Division 1A and 1B environment. Get people to start thinking there are two different spheres of Div I hoops, P-(6) and everyone else. Get people conceptualizing on there is a distinction between the two.
Call me cynical as well - but it already is that way, and has been. Maybe since the first major conference realignment in 2005. Certainly since the second one in 2013. “Power conference wins” are essentially de facto resume metrics among ESPN and CBS talking heads. Hell, most Bona fans speak of the P5 with some weird reverence at this point.

7301 - 7320 of 7376 Posts