Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
7321 - 7340 of 7376 Posts

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Didn't they have this on a very small scale pre-covid? It was some stupid made for ESPN showcase type week where they pitted great mid-majors against each other and then everyone realized it was just a killer loss if you didn't win the game? Maybe I'm misremembering. Hard pass for sure. But whatever, the NET says the power schools are better anyway. The NCAAT should just be power conferences. Time for D1-B.
This isn’t going to be a popular comment, but it does make sense if the teams at the top of the league can replace an in conference Q3/4 home and away game with these games. Go to 16 league games vs. 18.

·
Piker
11,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,322 ·
This isn’t going to be a popular comment, but it does make sense if the teams at the top of the league can replace an in conference Q3/4 home and away game with these games. Go to 16 league games vs. 18.
The issue is if a team does well in OOC and has a good profile loses the committee will use those one or two games against them. That is my worry. I am betting they would use those games as a measuring stick. As with Bracketbusters it would almost be like play-in games.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I don't think this would replace conference games. It looks like you would reduce December OOC games by two, then play these additional games in February. The A10 would still have 18 games in this scenario.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
The issue is if a team does well in OOC and has a good profile loses the committee will use those one or two games against them. That is my worry. I am betting they would use those games as a measuring stick. As with Bracketbusters it would almost be like play-in games.
I think you play the best teams possible and control your destiny. The fact that the Committee had Dayton as the first team out restored some confidence that this is true. On paper Dayton had four really bad losses but there was a body of work after starting the season 1 and 3.

So you think that a loss on the road to a team like San Diego State would have hurt the Flyers more than the road loss at LaSalle? A problem with the A10 is that the Q3/4 teams have much better talent than the Q3/4 teams in say the Horizon. It’s the landmine theory. These A10 teams have the ability to beat the top teams. The old Bracket Buster games were designed for one bid leagues and in very rare instances actually moved the needle

The bottom line is that the current situation isn’t working and we aren’t getting enough Q1/2 games.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I don't think this would replace conference games. It looks like you would reduce December OOC games by two, then play these additional games in February. The A10 would still have 18 games in this scenario.
You’re probably right, but it makes sense IMO to take these games and go to 16 conference games and add these games.

We already have an unbalanced conference schedule that isn’t used properly, so going to 16 isn’t going to make much of an impact. We are a little mid-major in the respect that we rely too often on the tournament automatic qualifier to get more than one bid. We need to work on at large resumes before the conference tournament.

Because of C19 we have shown that we can effectively reschedule games so resetting the games should be an issue.

For the top teams this idea replaces two marginal or potentially disastrous league games with resume building opportunities

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
You’re probably right, but it makes sense IMO to take these games and go to 16 conference games and add these games.

We already have an unbalanced conference schedule that isn’t used properly, so going to 16 isn’t going to make much of an impact. We are a little mid-major in the respect that we rely too often on the tournament automatic qualifier to get more than one bid. We need to work on at large resumes before the conference tournament.

Because of C19 we have shown that we can effectively reschedule games so resetting the games should be an issue.

For the top teams this idea replaces two marginal or potentially disastrous league games with resume building opportunities
You could also look at is as:

It takes what are likelier wins and replaces them with non-home games in an unpredictable part of the country that you have a higher chance of losing when a single loss could put you on the wrong side of the bubble.

There's a reason in the article it mentions "22 conferences have been receptive" when they're trying to get 26 (the 4 that are likely not receptive as of right now: A10, AAC, MWC, WCC). The usual 1 bid leagues would typically only have their assumed conference champs in the high up buckets to play in this, and for them if they lose it's no big deal (they likely still end up as conference champ). If an A10/AAC/MWC/WCC team loses, they could be pushed from "right side of the bubble" to "need to win the conference tournament" to get in.

So yeah, it could be resume building. But if you're already in the discussion for a bid, beating Vermont won't do much more than just winning within your conference.

It would certainly be fun to be able to see these games, but I only see this as an opportunity for the big 6 leagues to get more bids while the rest destroy their own resumes by participating in this. Without it: all of the teams have decent chance to keep their resumes in tact. With it: at least 50% of them will lose a game (there are 2 games, if everyone is a split series then 100% will have an additional loss) and bubbles will burst.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
If that's how it's implemented, sure, avoid land mine. My cynicism has me believing a loss in this showcase week won't be a "good loss" on selection Sunday like any run of the mill mid-week loss to, say, Iowa in Big Ten play.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
If that's how it's implemented, sure, avoid land mine. My cynicism has me believing a loss in this showcase week won't be a "good loss" on selection Sunday like any run of the mill mid-week loss to, say, Iowa in Big Ten play.
Yup, if the P5/Big East won't participate, there's a reason. And it's not because they have 20 league games as the article states. Nothing is stopping them from eliminating two of their non-cons to do this, too.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
7,298 Posts
Why not cut out the other 22 leagues and just set something up between the A10, MWC, AAC, WCC, and/or maybe MVC? If Gonzaga won’t participate, which I highly doubt they would, then replace the WCC with the MVC.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Why not cut out the other 22 leagues and just set something up between the A10, MWC, AAC, WCC, and/or maybe MVC? If Gonzaga won’t participate, which I highly doubt they would, then replace the WCC with the MVC.
That’s what would make this work Bill. I read that they were looking at 8 leagues initially (which is still too many) not 22.

This should replace two conference games vs fucking around with Gonzaga’s OOC, or for that matter UD’s (or SLU’s, VCU’s, SDSU’s etc).

I don’t buy the idea that losing one of these games is a resume killer. If losing a quality Q2 game is the reason why your team got knocked off the bubble then there is a bigger argument that your team needed to play that game and win vs. coasting through a conference Q4 win.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
In a way, some of the power conferences have done something like this (early in OCC schedule) by setting up games like the Big 10 v ACC challenge, or whatever they're called.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
It seems to me that over the last several years just about all the changes in college sports has inured to the benefit of the P5 schools. The cynic in me says this is a way for the P5 schools to get a couple more of their brethren an invite to the dance. Just what you don't need a Big 10 team with a sub 500 intra conference record getting in at the expense of say a 26- 4 Murray State who lost in an early round of their tourney. If they're going to do something like this require the P5 to participate. No reason Syracuse shouldn't have to play in Olean, Ohio State in Dayton etc. They sure as hell aren't going to do it on their own.

·
Registered
Iona Gaels
430 Posts
Call me cynical as well - but it already is that way, and has been. Maybe since the first major conference realignment in 2005. Certainly since the second one in 2013. “Power conference wins” are essentially de facto resume metrics among ESPN and CBS talking heads. Hell, most Bona fans speak of the P5 with some weird reverence at this point.
You're right it is. However, this to me looks like a first step away from the current de facto division to a de jure division. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

·
Piker
11,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,337 ·

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
7,298 Posts
Yep. VCU will make the initial gamble and investment, spend the time developing him on and off the court, and, if he reaches his potential, a P5 sleaze will unleash its boosters to cash in on his peak value.

·
Piker
11,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,339 ·
Yep. VCU will make the initial gamble and investment, spend the time developing him on and off the court, and, if he reaches his potential, a P5 sleaze will unleash its boosters to cash in on his peak value.
Probably so. This is where we are right now. At this point you can expect 2 or 3 players leaving for the portal every year. VCU has done well with high school recruiting but the portal is tough. Most guys want to transfer to a P5 and our programs tend to get P5 players that want more playing time. Well, at least that is how VCU has been handling the portal. Lawal is a interesting as a filler for the 13th spot. Under the radar incoming freshman. Maybe he will become a Tre Graham type flyer on a player who was underrecruited. Lawal is raw unlike Graham but you get my point. Maybe I should have used Briante Weber instead of Graham. A player with motivation and raw skills.

7321 - 7340 of 7376 Posts