Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
7341 - 7360 of 7376 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Probably so. This is where we are right now. At this point you can expect 2 or 3 players leaving for the portal every year. VCU has done well with high school recruiting but the portal is tough. Most guys want to transfer to a P5 and our programs tend to get P5 players that want more playing time. Well, at least that is how VCU has been handling the portal. Lawal is a interesting as a filler for the 13th spot. Under the radar incoming freshman. Maybe he will become a Tre Graham type flyer on a player who was underrecruited. Lawal is raw unlike Graham but you get my point. Maybe I should have used Briante Weber instead of Graham. A player with motivation and raw skills.
He seems a lot like Ward. He's only played for a few years, from abroad, similar build and skillset it seems. I liked freshman and sophomore Ward, so could be a good addition.

With 6 new players next season and two coming off major injuries, I don't know what to expect. Ace is really the only player who we know what to expect. Nunn, how will the fresh-soph jump be for him? Banks, Kern, Deloach all have to take big forward steps. Then the other 8 that didn't play with the team last year.

·
Piker
11,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,342 ·
He seems a lot like Ward. He's only played for a few years, from abroad, similar build and skillset it seems. I liked freshman and sophomore Ward, so could be a good addition.

With 6 new players next season and two coming off major injuries, I don't know what to expect. Ace is really the only player who we know what to expect. Nunn, how will the fresh-soph jump be for him? Banks, Kern, Deloach all have to take big forward steps. Then the other 8 that didn't play with the team last year.
Yep. They will be competitive. Watkins is important and I think Fermin will contribute right away. Guard play with Ace, Nunn and Jackson is solid. The front court needs to be better than last season.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Yep. They will be competitive. Watkins is important and I think Fermin will contribute right away. Guard play with Ace, Nunn and Jackson is solid. The front court needs to be better than last season.
Next season can go many ways. Watkins is the key, IMO.

Fermin, while promising, will be a freshman and outside of Bones and Ace, we haven't had many freshman that were big time impact players. I have no idea what to expect from Jackson. There are a lot of reasons people point to as to why his numbers at Michigan are what they are, but that's all we have to go on. Nunn had a good freshman year, but still has a ways to go. Turnovers and too many missed open shots were issues for him last year. I think he'll be good, but I also don't know if we should count on him to be one of our top players at this point.

That's a long winded way of saying I have no idea what to expect from VCU. If Jackson and Shriver can hit 3s, Deloach can limit fouls, and the team can cut down on turnovers, we'll be fine. Otherwise, it could be another roller coaster.

·
Piker
11,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,344 ·
Next season can go many ways. Watkins is the key, IMO.

Fermin, while promising, will be a freshman and outside of Bones and Ace, we haven't had many freshman that were big time impact players. I have no idea what to expect from Jackson. There are a lot of reasons people point to as to why his numbers at Michigan are what they are, but that's all we have to go on. Nunn had a good freshman year, but still has a ways to go. Turnovers and too many missed open shots were issues for him last year. I think he'll be good, but I also don't know if we should count on him to be one of our top players at this point.

That's a long winded way of saying I have no idea what to expect from VCU. If Jackson and Shriver can hit 3s, Deloach can limit fouls, and the team can cut down on turnovers, we'll be fine. Otherwise, it could be another roller coaster.
Agreed. Fermin can be an impact player by just creating space by good movement, rebounding and D. He seems like a guy willing to do that. Just protect and clean the glass.

·
Piker
11,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,350 ·
I saw Lunardi did a bracketology already. I am a bit disappointed that he did not give more bids to the A10 with his early predictions. I know that it does not matter but other pundits are giving the league more credit with predictions of a 3 or 4 bid league. That being said, Lunardi does have Dayton and SLU solidly in with VCU and Loyola Chicago in the last four out so I guess he is giving credit. We know from our experience of watching the league that these pre-season predictions always get exposed because the A10 is gonna A10.

·
Piker
11,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,352 · (Edited)
Oh and I heard that the missed Penn Sate home VCU game will not be played. That is the the second time a home & home series was cut short due to COVID. LSU did not work it out for that game at LSU and Penn State is now scrapped. I have heard through the grapevine that a VCU/UVA series could happen. I hope that it can be worked out.

I remember the last time that VCU played at Temple. It was frustrating to be at the Licourace Center. VCU played well in the first half but in the 2nd half Kahliff Wyatt began with the head jerk and must have shot 20 free throws. VCU lost but that win got Temple into the NCAA tournament to make the A10 a five bid league. VCu did get them back in the NIT Classic in 2018-19 when Marcus Evans went off.

·
Piker
11,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,358 · (Edited)
That's OK. Better luck next time. 😄
I am sure JAF is happy that ya'll performed so well during the regular season that after winning it all it helped his team to the bubble. How about this year getting some OOC wins. Enjoy your banner.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I am sure JAF is happy that ya'll performed so well during the regular season that after winning it all it helped his team to the bubble. How about this year getting some OOC wins. Enjoy your banner.
Woah Nellie. We were 9-4 OOC, you were 7-4, and JAF was 8-5.
We are enjoying the banner. Hard fought 4 games in 4 days. Not the easiest road.
🏀 🕷🏆 (hope it's not another decade)

7341 - 7360 of 7376 Posts