Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
7461 - 7480 of 7486 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Yet the Minutemen are allowed to keep their name even though its a slap in the face to every guy out there who cant last?
This is me on the UMass board in response to someone saying they may come after Minutemen next:

me said:
It's because international students who grew up suffering from the impacts of colonialism weren't feeling very welcomed at the University. Why would they be impacted by "Minutemen" there? Reminders of bad first sexual encounters? Upset British monarchs?

Edit: I do appreciate the chants from (mostly) our hockey east rivals that are simply "You are minutemen!"

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
This is me on the UMass board in response to someone saying they may come after Minutemen next:

Edit: I do appreciate the chants from (mostly) our hockey east rivals that are simply "You are minutemen!"
At least with Football you can say "We are the '85 Minute' Men!" or however many scholarships there are...

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Did a little digging on it (article linked in the one above, mentioning the origin of the petition):

Sophomore Andrew Hesbacher, a former Hatchet reporter who helped launch the petition, said he, Yakobashvili and junior Emma Krasnopoler were at a study abroad orientation in April when study abroad staff told them they should not wear any clothing with “Colonials” on it in any country outside of Europe because citizens of those countries would be offended by the history of the word.
Bad press abroad mixed with students who wanted to wear fully branded university gear while abroad.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
For the record, I was 100% joking. People can mock Bonnies all they want but at least we will never have to deal with any of this crap. Unless a group of women named Bonnie take offense

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
7,335 Posts
Did a little digging on it (article linked in the one above, mentioning the origin of the petition):

Bad press abroad mixed with students who wanted to wear fully branded university gear while abroad.
What a ridiculous reason to change a longtime nickname. Here’s an idea: if you’re so hell bent on wearing GW gear in non-European nations abroad (listen to this shit!), then choose an article without “Colonials” on it!

·
Piker
11,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,472 ·
What a ridiculous reason to change a longtime nickname. Here’s an idea: if you’re so hell bent on wearing GW gear in non-European nations abroad (listen to this shit!), then choose an article without “Colonials” on it!
When I was in the Bahamas I was wearing a Raiders t-shirt. I found out it was a gang shirt on the island and I was told not to wear it. I did not change it but I should have put on a Redskins t-shirt.

7461 - 7480 of 7486 Posts