Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
7541 - 7560 of 7625 Posts

·
Piker
11,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,541 ·
So VCU needed two OOC games to complete the schedule. Here is one of the two. I have to say that the expectations to land a P5 or good neutral site game is looking bleak. CORRECTION-I am hearing they will schedule 13 games so 3 more to go. There is still hope.
OOC Opponents
Morgan State- Nov 12th
Pittsburgh- Legends Classic- Nov 16th
Legends Classic (Michigan / Arizona State)- Nov 17th
Kennesaw State-Nov 26th
@ Temple-Dec 3rd
Jax-Dec 7
Radford-Dec 14th
Northern Illinois-Dec 17th
Navy December-21st
Vanderbilt ?

Reactions: JonBoy

·
Piker
11,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,544 ·
Oh and VCU beat Memphis who was ranked #19 at the time. I think it was in 2012 at the Battle 4 Atlantis.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
7,396 Posts
Odd home and home series, but Schmidt has actually recruited Florida quite a bit. The last time we played in Fort Myers, my buddies and I were amazed the arena sold straight up Irish coffees. Needless to say, we had to get Ubers and leave the rental car at the arena.

I hear we will finish the OOC with one more home game.

11/07- ST. FRANCIS PA
11/12- @ Canisius
11/15- vs. South Dakota State (Sioux Falls)
11/19- BOWLING GREEN
11/22- SOUTHERN INDIANA
11/25- vs. Notre Dame (Belmont Park)
11/30- MTSU
12/03- @ Buffalo
12/11- vs. Iona (Brooklyn)
12/16- FGCU
12/19- @ Siena
12/22- @ Northern Iowa
TBA- ???

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Odd home and home series, but Schmidt has actually recruited Florida quite a bit. The last time we played in Fort Myers, my buddies and I were amazed the arena sold straight up Irish coffees. Needless to say, we had to get Ubers and leave the rental car at the arena.

11/07- ST. FRANCIS PA
11/12- @ Canisius
11/19- BOWLING GREEN
11/22- SOUTHERN INDIANA
11/30- MTSU
12/03- @ Buffalo
12/16- FGCU
12/19- @ Siena
12/22- @ Northern Iowa
TBA- ???
Obviously, it for the similar seasonal climate...

·
Registered
3,144 Posts

11/07- ST. FRANCIS PA
11/12- @ Canisius
11/19- BOWLING GREEN
11/22- SOUTHERN INDIANA
11/30- MTSU
12/03- @ Buffalo
12/16- FGCU
12/19- @ Siena
12/22- @ Northern Iowa
TBA- ???
I like the FGCU home and home. If you can’t get a P5 deal it’s a great away game for the players and fans. Same reason why I like the SMU and UNLV games that UD set up.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
7,396 Posts
No offense to our Bona Bros … we all know why these games are played
I get what you mean, but the financial side of this issue isn't everything. There are legitimately important people in and around the program who love those traditional home-and-home series. I'm sure the cost efficiency is a welcome plus for the number crunchers, but there are too many influential folks operating with a scheduling philosophy rooted in 1977. It would be smarter to buy the dregs of D1, hammer them, and pad our "efficiency" metrics than to play at Canisius, Niagara, and/or Siena.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
The problem is, we don't hammer the dregs of D1. We go in favored by 16 and win by 5 after a "heroic" 2nd half comeback. As far as NET goes, that's often as bad as losing a close game at Siena. Record-wise, you are correct, of course.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I get what you mean, but the financial side of this issue isn't everything. There are legitimately important people in and around the program who love those traditional home-and-home series. I'm sure the cost efficiency is a welcome plus for the number crunchers, but there are too many influential folks operating with a scheduling philosophy rooted in 1977. It would be smarter to buy the dregs of D1, hammer them, and pad our "efficiency" metrics than to play at Canisius, Niagara, and/or Siena.
From my “outsider’s” perspective I would have said that tradition comes into play as much as $$$. Unfortunately, Bona gets more benefit from playing FGCU on the road IMO vs. playing a long time opponent like Niagara on the road - it’s good for the players and fans, and gets Schmidt into important recruiting territories. I love tradition but our programs have advanced more than our traditional rivals. Siena, Canisius and Niagara for Bona, and Miami of Ohio and Xavier for UD.

7541 - 7560 of 7625 Posts