Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
8041 - 8060 of 8063 Posts

· Registered
622 Posts
Like I said, VCU does not have a beat writer right now. The reporter left to take a job in the private sector. The Richmond Times Dispatch cut a bunch of jobs and they are sharing duties so three or four reporters cover VCU. I am pretty sure the two votes came from out of state.
Maybe the Flyers beat writer was one of the votes you got. Their. loss to the Rams of Richmond doesn’t look quite so bad, since they lost to a team that is now receiving votes.

· Registered
6,864 Posts
So I can't get behind the paywall.
Is the bottom line that Villanova, who played all 4 of the other Big 5 this year, will only play one of them next year?

· Registered
2,195 Posts
So I can't get behind the paywall.
Is the bottom line that Villanova, who played all 4 of the other Big 5 this year, will only play one of them next year?
No, this is the format:
"
  • Under the new format, the six schools — the traditional Big 5 teams of La Salle, Penn, Temple, Saint Joseph’s and Villanova, plus Drexel — will be split into two three-team pods.
  • The pod teams will play each other in November, with the winners matching up based on their record in a tripleheader (a designated fifth place, third place and championship game, if you will) at the Wells Fargo Center on the first Saturday in December.
"

· Registered
4,356 Posts
No, this is the format:
"
  • Under the new format, the six schools — the traditional Big 5 teams of La Salle, Penn, Temple, Saint Joseph’s and Villanova, plus Drexel — will be split into two three-team pods.
  • The pod teams will play each other in November, with the winners matching up based on their record in a tripleheader (a designated fifth place, third place and championship game, if you will) at the Wells Fargo Center on the first Saturday in December.
"
Yes, which effectively means each team will end up playing 3 "Big 5 + 1" games per year instead of the current 4 (or 5 for those that play Drexel).

The tiebreaker for those pods where all teams are 1-1 will be interesting. I would think it would have to be total point differential.

Personally, I don't see this system as an improvement. Let the schools who still want to play a game against each other play. If Villanova doesn't want to play La Salle in any particular year, or Temple will only play Penn at the Licouras, so be it. Let the rest wither away.

Same thing the Little Three +1 should be doing.

· Piker
11,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8,059 ·
Oooo... shaken.

GTF right outta here. If that's what you need to write about, then your program is a sorry disgrace. Mental midget.
He wrote a story about freedom of movement before the VCU game. I have met him. Curmudgeon is a good description.

8041 - 8060 of 8063 Posts