Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

81 - 100 of 4517 Posts

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
No F'ING way!

I'm so glad that kid is gone, and that's the highest compliment I can offer an opposing player. Stud.
I thought he had some real NBA potential maybe in a couple years. G compared Yevgen to Halil and how similar their game is. If Yevgen is anything close to Halil I will have a damn party.

Everyone invited but Dayton...eff them.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
No F'ING way!

I'm so glad that kid is gone, and that's the highest compliment I can offer an opposing player. Stud.
Probably my favorite Hawk player in my time following them. He LOVED to pick apart Havoc. Shredded it with ease.

I thought he had some real NBA potential maybe in a couple years. G compared Yevgen to Halil and how similar their game is. If Yevgen is anything close to Halil I will have a damn party.

Everyone invited but Dayton...eff them.
We'll see. SJU is very much involved with a 4 who is very similar to Halil.

A multi-talented 4 on LAS would be very, very good for G's offense.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I agree McElvene was not going to be the answer this season for UD. I also agree that the A-10, like many leagues, is a guard dominated conference. The problem is someone has get the guards the ball, hopefully before the other team scores. As a Dayton fan, i hope AM can bring-in John Chaney as guest instructor to teach zone defense. I would think opposing coaches will try to force the ball down low to their 4&5s to put Dayton's bigs in foul trouble. Rupp's runts redux.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Probably my favorite Hawk player in my time following them. He LOVED to pick apart Havoc. Shredded it with ease.
Shredded is a little strong. An ideal matchup going up against our style of play.

If he was shredding it with ease, the games would be nowhere near as competitive as they were. He was probably the difference in those games though. Really good ballplayer and a big reason St. Joe's ended up A-10 champs. Glad he's gone, but loved watching him play except when it was against us.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Shredded is a little strong. An ideal matchup going up against our style of play.

If he was shredding it with ease, the games would be nowhere near as competitive as they were. He was probably the difference in those games though. Really good ballplayer and a big reason St. Joe's ended up A-10 champs. Glad he's gone, but loved watching him play except when it was against us.
The rest of the Hawks weathered VCU decently, but Halil did often have a much, much easier time than most players again the Rams. A lot of times, to me, it looked like he was having fun out there throwing lobs and setting picks. Just one person's opinion, though, of course.

He is the reason SJU is defending A10 Champs, imo, without any disrespect to anyone else on that team.

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
I don't think he averages as much as people think he will this year. Doesn't mean he failed to make a leap, it probably will mean his guards kinda suck.
Adam, I could be wrong, but my observation is that your commentary in regards to Bona is generally on the negative side. I'm interested in why you assume that the Bona guards will suck. In the end, you may be right, but you seem pretty sure of it by using the term "probably."

·
Super Moderator
17,902 Posts

Bigs that can handle the ball and pass out of the middle are so big against Havoc. That's why Loe and Cody Ellis were so important to the Billiken offense against the press.

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
Adam, I could be wrong, but my observation is that your commentary in regards to Bona is generally on the negative side. I'm interested in why you assume that the Bona guards will suck. In the end, you may be right, but you seem pretty sure of it by using the term "probably."
Don't bother. AdamTheRaider knows it all.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Is it okay if I say that Bona's guards might suck but I have no idea whether they will or not?

I think it'll definitely take them a little time to gel, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Is it okay if I say that Bona's guards might suck but I have no idea whether they will or not?

I think it'll definitely take them a little time to gel, for what it's worth.
They could suck just like anyone's guards could ya know. However, experience and Schmidt go hand and hand so cumberbatch and gathers entering their senior seasons makes me believe they will be pretty good. My issue with Alston and Posley. I'm not a fan of JUCO players and probably never will be too much of a hit and miss. Plus info on them is so hard to come by.

My concern for the Bonnie's is their schedule and depth along with quite a few other teams.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
I'm not sure what the big worry about not having Steve this year is. Ya, kinda sucks for him but if Steve was the make or break player for UD this season then we have bigger issues.

As to the point "above average big men" in this league, that in and of itself is a pretty relative brush to paint players with. In relation to what? In 1984, UD (in a much better era of big men across the board) made an Elite 8 with no one taller then 6'6" on the floor. Zern (sp?) at 6'9" came off the bench. I'd be worried if Zack averaged 17 and 13 a game...but he doesn't, even though he's always the tallest player on the floor.

Is Lalane more talented then UD big men? Probably, but by Umass fans' own admission in other threads, he's wildly inconsistent.

My point (and Adam's) is there aren't many big men in this league, or all of the NCAA for that matter anymore, that can take over a game in the paint and will their team to win. The Professor was the last in the A10 to do that.

Dayton's guards and wings are as good if not better then most in the league and that's why losing Big Steve doesn't mean much at all.

·
Piker
8,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Dayton loses freshman center for upcoming season
By Matt Norlander | College Basketball Writer
September 29, 2014 11:22 am ET

Dayton coach Archie Miller will be without one of his prized commits this season.

Coming off a charmed Elite Eight run, Dayton will start the 2014-15 season without the contributions of talented freshman center Steve McElvene.

The sit-out is NCAA-mandated.

The school's announced its 6-foot-11 recruit is practice-eligible but not able to play in any games for the upcoming season after being deemed a partial qualifier. That essentially means the Dayton big man met some, but not all, NCAA Clearinghouse academic requirements.

"We are disappointed for Steve, and of course Steve is very disappointed," Dayton coach Archie Miller said in a statement. "But as a member of our team he will be involved in everything we do. This is a great opportunity for him to spend the next year to develop on and off the court to be the best player he can be at the start of next season, and prepare himself for a very successful college career."

The Flyers were hoping to have McElvene earn some playing time and help beef up the paint. Without him, Devon Scott will likely have an increased role down low. Dayton is down to 10 scholarship players for this season. Most important: Jordan Sibert and Dyshawn Pierre return.

Dayton's 2014-15 campaign begins on Nov. 14 against Alabama A&M.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24730407/dayton-loses-freshmen-center-for-upcoming-season?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

·
Registered
119 Posts
Looks like UD will have 9 scholarship guys during the non-con

David Jablonski @DavidPJablonski · 39m

Archie Miller says new UD forward Detwon Rogers likely won't be available until January because of knee tendinitis and other knee issues.

81 - 100 of 4517 Posts