Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1161 - 1180 of 4453 Posts

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I am sure they are like most fans when a guy does not commit to them. They blame the coach and then they discredit the recruit. Ha!
Funny you should mention this, AA. I just strolled over to the Dukes board and found a few gems...

I think he was probably nothing more than a poor man's Darius Banks.
Maybe Banks coming here had something to do with him choosing the Bonnies.
This one was especially rich...

Olean NY over the city of champions? Have fun spending your golden years in the middle of no where playing in a high school gym.
Agreed. This guy was probably more of a realistic plan b if we didn't get the 4 star guy we were able to land.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Speaking of Olean, Costco was selling Cutco knive "proudly made in Olean, NY since 1947". Who knew/ (of course I had never heard of Cutco knives so I didn't know).

·
Piker
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,171
Very nice class with an ESPN 100, 2 four star and 1 three star recruits. We'll see how we match-up. Should be some good battles in the near future.
Are you talking about VCU's 2017 class? Right now, VCU has 3 players that committed not 4. Lavar Batts, Marcus Santos-Silva & Sean Mobley. The team has 2 available spots to fill and maybe 3 if Ahmed Hamdy does not get a waiver for another year.

·
Piker
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,173 (Edited)
Oh, you doubled up Batts with ESPN Top 100 and 4-star. I thought you listed four players. Might as well go with Rivals on Silva and give VCU three 4-stars.
UMass and SLU are still in the mix for a guy I really like. Hasahn French. He cut VCU off his list right after Silva signed and Mobley announced his official visit. French looks to me like he will be a very good player.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Mobley was supposed to visit Dayton after VCU. I suspect AA promised him home cooked grits & shrimp on game day, and referred to Richmond as the South Beach of Virginia to woo his commit. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
I'll enjoy the inevitable UMass and VCU battles for supremacy. Lord knows that the rest of us certainly won't be able to compete.

A strong believer in a public education. How are things on hawk hill. For us, VCU and URI are our rivals. Temple is gone as most of the other public universities. You'll always remember the games with high intensity atmosphere. VCU has never beaten us at home and we have never beaten VCU elsewhere. Check this out for the first VCU game at the Mullins that we certainly remember. VCU is the conference flagship and we want to battle with them.

http://www.masslive.com/umassbasketball/index.ssf/2014/02/the_mullins_center_was_a_first.html#incart_river

·
Piker
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,177 (Edited)
I'll enjoy the inevitable UMass and VCU battles for supremacy. Lord knows that the rest of us certainly won't be able to compete.
That is a idiotic post. You are so overlooked. Sheesh. Give me a break. Since VCU has been in the A10 SJU has two A10 titles. I certainly do not sleep or bag on any conference team. Have some fun yeah. I wish a rep from every school in the conference would drop some information on their teams. I love to read about the teams. As far as national attention goes I do get it but Martelli does not lack coverage.

PS-I know you crave more.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
I wish a rep from every school in the conference would drop some information on their teams. I love to read about the teams.
The Richmond Spider basketball team is busily attacking the rigorous academic challenges of the first semester of 2016-17. (and/or wandering around the lake checking out their classmates.)

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
A strong believer in a public education. How are things on hawk hill. For us, VCU and URI are our rivals. Temple is gone as most of the other public universities. You'll always remember the games with high intensity atmosphere. VCU has never beaten us at home and we have never beaten VCU elsewhere. Check this out for the first VCU game at the Mullins that we certainly remember. VCU is the conference flagship and we want to battle with them.

http://www.masslive.com/umassbasketball/index.ssf/2014/02/the_mullins_center_was_a_first.html#incart_river
I don't personally understand the public/private aspect to it, as I don't feel any particularly close kinship reserved for those who also attended private institutions. (I'll note here that I am in graduate school at a public university in Massachusetts, no less).

Do you know with which school UMass has an exact .500 record?

Saint Joseph's. 34-34. Interesting stuff. I'm not advocating for anything, either, to be clear. As I say below, I take more interest in perceived values of Rivals and 247 ratings than any "big school" bias that one might assume is the crux of your initial post.

Whomever runs this site is fantastic. I wish we all had something like this.

That is a idiotic post. You are so overlooked. Sheesh. Give me a break. Since VCU has been in the A10 SJU has two A10 titles. I certainly do not sleep or bag on any conference team. Have some fun yeah. I wish a rep from every school in the conference would drop some information on their teams. I love to read about the teams. As far as national attention goes I do get it but Martelli does not lack coverage.
Not lambasting media coverage so much as undue expectations that grow with each "star" added.

Plus I'm in debate mode so everything is an affront. It's my civic duty to be a combative flamethrower every so often.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
An hour-long interview with Phil Martelli. I've not watched it yet, but it's wide-ranging. It's going to be good, I bet.

For starters, Phil's top five of his Hawks in this order: Jameer, DeAndre, Delonte, Lang, and Ahmad.

Top five single season: Pat Calathes as a senior, Rashid Bey as junior, Pat Carroll as a senior, Isaiah's senior year, Yah Davis' freshman campaign

https://vimeo.com/184422777

1161 - 1180 of 4453 Posts