Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

141 - 160 of 4495 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Lets change the discussion. Taking a look at the midpack going into next season. What are people's feelings about URI, La Salle, SJU, and Richmond. Throw the Bonnies on that list as well. If anyone going to really surprise us its going to be one or two of these schools IMO.
On paper they're all middle of the pack A10 teams this year. One of them probably will surprise and out-perform expectations, but I'd probably have a better chance of picking that team if I did it at random. URI and SJU are young (or at least inexperienced). URI is the trendy pick and I hate trendy picks. La Salle has a great duo in the frontcourt, but their guards don't inspire a lot of confidence. I can't get over Richmond's collapse at the end of last year. I hate SBU, but I respect Schmidt's ability to keep them competitive every year, but save Nicholson's last year they haven't been better than mediocre in a while.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Lets change the discussion. Taking a look at the midpack going into next season. What are people's feelings about URI, La Salle, SJU, and Richmond. Throw the Bonnies on that list as well. If anyone going to really surprise us its going to be one or two of these schools IMO.
One of those schools is likely to disappoint as well.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Alright, can we stop talking about the depth of VCU and Dayton or even UMass. VCU going to be fine. The better they are the better the league is. Dayton has question marks and UMass has a few as well but both could still be pretty good. We been over all these schools a million times. Move on.

Oh, the Bonnies will do nothing. They lost Nicholson.

·
Piker
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
I am not sure if anyone cares about Verne's documentary but the one and only Coach Phil Martelli was used for the press release. As usual Phil looks to be deep in thought.

Eye on College FBall ‏@EyeOnCFB 48m48 minutes ago
@cbSSports to air “In Your Life.” An hour-long documentary on Verne Lundquist Nov. 29. http://cbsprt.co/10mnILv

Verne Lundquist interviewing Phil Martelli during the A-10 Tournament last year.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I am not sure if anyone cares about Verne's documentary but the one and only Coach Phil Martelli was used for the press release. As usual Phil looks to be deep in thought.

Eye on College FBall ‏@EyeOnCFB 48m48 minutes ago
@cbSSports to air “In Your Life.” An hour-long documentary on Verne Lundquist Nov. 29. http://cbsprt.co/10mnILv

Verne Lundquist interviewing Phil Martelli during the A-10 Tournament last year.
This must have been a photo from a Selection Sunday where Martelli wasn't challenging tv media members to a street-fight.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Verne said our 2006 Elite 8 game against UConn was a "very close second" to 1994 Duke-Kentucky (Laettner buzzer-beater) on his list of memorable calls.

"By George, the dream is alive!"

It's No. 1 for me, obviously.

·
Piker
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #157 (Edited)
Phil only told Billy Packer to kiss his ass because Billy Packer is one.

He deserved it.
This is an example of why Phil Martelli is a great American and someone every child should look up to.
Phil Martelli should be canonized or knighted dammit!

SAINT PHIL MARTELLI
SIR PHIL MARTELLI

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I had similar thoughts, but reconsidered when I read our AD's reply when asked about it in his "Ask the AD" section of our website.

October 7, 2014
Fordham, with 26 other schools, unsuccessfully attempted to override the Big 5 having autonomy in the NCAA. What was Fordham's reasoning behind this request especially in light of the other A-10 schools not joining in the effort? What was the A-10's reaction to Fordham's decision? What is Fordham's position on the proposed changes that will now be implemented including cost of attendence scholarships?

Thank you for your question. To be clear we are all for student-athlete welfare and will always put the student-athlete first. The override vote was not about student-athlete welfare or full cost of attendance. The vote was about Division 1 governance. We feel that we should have an equal voice on decisions in regards to D1 athletics. The A-10 is one of the top basketball conferences in the country and, as such, should have a voice in all NCAA legislation. I have not had any negative reaction from the A-10 to our decision to make a statement in voting for the override. We will review all legislative changes and do what is best for our student-athletes, our programs and Fordham.

Go Rams!

141 - 160 of 4495 Posts