Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

161 - 180 of 4476 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
10 of the 27 override votes came from the CAA.

So glad not to be affiliated with those small-time thinkers any more.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
10 of the 27 override votes came from the CAA.

So glad not to be affiliated with those small-time thinkers any more.
How does voting against the autonomy of others make them small-time thinkers? Where is the benefit for us in the autonomy of the 65? I ask in earnest b/c perhaps I am not seeing the full picture here.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Anyone know if the league got together as a whole and talked about whether to vote to override? Since Fordham was the only vote to override it appears we went against the conference on this critical issue.

·
Piker
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
ZACK, WRIGHT LOOKING TO DOMINATE FOR LA SALLE
Andrew Albert (@AndrewJAlbert01)

La Salle’s season ended last year on Thursday, March 13 with a loss to St. Bonaventure in the first round of the Atlantic 10 tournament. The rollercoaster that had been the Explorer’s season ended with a 15-16 mark, and it was time to sit back and reflect on what went wrong.

John Giannini’s plan was to give his team a few days off to relax, then meet up again on Sunday to watch the NCAA Selection Show, even though he knew his team’s name would not be called.

Steve Zack had other plans.

The rising senior texted his coach a message that Thursday night that would set the tone for this season. He told him that the team would be in the gym lifting Friday morning at 7:00 a.m. because he did not want the team to be weak, and because he did not want his senior season to end like that of Tyreek Duren, Ty Garland and Sam Mills.

“I could tell immediately that even within the 24 hours after last year that our level of leadership was going to be completely different,” Giannini said.

Zack, along with fellow senior forward Jerrell Wright, have taken the reigns as the leaders of the Explorers. The duo of big men are entering their last year at 20th and Olney, and want to make it another memorable one, like the run to the Sweet 16 the program underwent in 2013.

“We want to get back to the NCAA tournament,” Zack said. “We always put a 20-plus game win goal on our mind because if we win 20, we give ourselves a legitimate chance. We never want to lose two in a row.”

“It is about getting the team mentally prepared for this year knowing that we are coming off a tough year,” Wright added. “We want to pick it back up. We don’t want to have two disappointing years. The one thing going through my mind is getting back to the NCAA tournament.”

A big part of if La Salle can get back to being an NCAA tournament level team rests on the shoulders of Zack and Wright. They have made big strides in their first three years under Giannini, and have continued to do so this summer.

Wright lost six pounds of body fat and added 10 pounds of muscle this offseason. His strength has dramatically improved in his time at La Salle. Giannini said he has added over 150 pounds to his bench press since his freshman year.

Zack sees the difference on the court already this year.

“Every time he catches the ball in the post he knows he is going to score on you,” Zack said of Wright. “It is up to you to make him miss. He is one of the hardest guys to stop in practice. Coach G doesn’t put us on the same team in practice because he wants us to compete against each other and make each other even better.”

Zack is on the same plane as Wright. His freshman year, he was slow and not in the best shape. Now, he is in great shape, and way quicker than he was.

Wright sees Zack having more success than ever this season, though he averaged 8.9 points and 9.8 rebounds a game last year.

“Last year he was kind of timid. This year he is more aggressive inside the paint,” Wright said of Zack. “I see Steve being a double-double guy this year. He doesn’t have to average 20 points, but I can see him scoring way more baskets this year by posting up strong, and putting back rebounds and being scrappy.”

The two share more than just their improvements on the court, though. They are very good friends off the court. Whether it is playing Xbox in their townhouse, grabbing a meal or just joking around, Wright and Zack have a bond that is three years strong. That bond, and the ensing chemistry will be key for La Salle on the court this season.

“Me and Steve have to lead by example,” Wright said. “We have been here the longest, along with D.J. [Peterson] and Rohan [Brown]. We know the team is going to listen more to us because we have been through three years of college basketball. As long as we go out and work hard, they are going to follow.”

Wright has even more motivation to work hard this year. He wants to hear his name called on the Sunday after the A-10 tournament, rather than lifting the Friday morning after. He wants to do it not only for himself, but for his friend who did not have the experience of playing in La Salle’s Sweet 16 run.

“Our freshman, sophomores, and even Steve, have not played in the NCAA tournament,” Wright said. “He was there, but did not get to play, and I want him to experience that. My way of getting him to the tournament is to play my heart out.

“I know if I play my heart out, he will get to play in the NCAA tournament. It is one of the best things you can do in your lifetime. Everybody dreams of playing in an NCAA tournament game. He didn’t get that opportunity. I want to play my heart out for him so he can get that chance.”

Wright, along with Zack, have the opportunity to get the Explorers back to that level. They know they have it in them, it is just time to show it.

“We are just trying to be the best frontcourt La Salle ever had,” Wright said. “We want to go out and be a dynamic duo. We know that. We had tremendous years here. We want to finish it off with a bang. We want to make sure people remember our names when we leave here. We want to build a legacy.”

http://cityofbasketballlove.com/2014/10/zack-wright-looking-to-dominate-for-la-salle/

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
How does voting against the autonomy of others make them small-time thinkers? Where is the benefit for us in the autonomy of the 65? I ask in earnest b/c perhaps I am not seeing the full picture here.
The benefit is the 65 don't break away from the NCAA and ruin college basketball and the NCAA tournament. We are just trying to appease the guys who have the ability and willingness to ruin everything for everybody but themselves.

·
Registered
550 Posts
At some point, whether it's "fair" or not, don't we all need to recognize that the P5 schools have all of the money (relatively) and most of the leverage?

It ultimately benefits all A-10 schools to keep the P5 schools content, so they don't break away and create an NCAA Division I basketball tournament that we can't play in.

For some reason, more than 300 other university presidents and conference commissioners were able to look at the money at stake, acknowledged the reality of the situation and decided to play along for the good of all.

I'm not defending the P5 schools or arguing that it's an ideal situation. But it is what it is. Trying to stand on principle in this case was the emptiest of empty gestures.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I could have respected our vote if it was accompanied by a press release explaining how we want a seat etc but we just voted and hoped no one noticed. Feckless move.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
http://cityofbasketballlove.com/2014/10/2014-15-season-primer-la-salle-explorers/

http://cityofbasketballlove.com/2014/10/zack-wright-looking-to-dominate-for-la-salle/

http://cityofbasketballlove.com/2014/10/stukes-ready-to-put-year-of-preparation-to-good-use/

Some good reads about La Salle team if anyone cares to take a look. G will be returning to using a 4 guard set more often with Wright and Zack getting sometime to play together as well. Stukes has added about 15 pounds of muscle and is ready to contribute. Zack and Wright are in the best shape of their careers. Price and Roberts are very strong offensive players and G expects Price to be an all conference player in time. Khalid is much healthier and should be a valable piece off the bench. Petersen will probably start with Roberts being the 6th man off the bench. Washington and Rohan should be able to assist Zack and Wright when they get into foul trouble. Shuler also has been a suprise. The original plan was to redshirt him but supposedly he was too strong offensively to redshirt. Very curious to see how this team gels and how quickly.

They're are quite a few moving parts but there is still a very good core still in place. Josh has to be the one of the only writers who actually critizes Garland. He won't be missed.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
If Washington and Rohan amount to anything but lane clogging fouls, I'd be surprised, honestly.

Wright and Zack can't play together. It's been shown. The offense grinds and grinds when it's those two out there. Good to see that G is backing away from that experiment.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I really think Jerrell Wright, regardless of whether the LAS guards will be able to throw in a half-decent entry pass, will have something to say about that. Or N'Doye, or someone else.

Oh, but A10 bigs are garbage, I forgot.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I like Kellogg, but I don't know how much I believe in this roster. I didn't last year and they proved me wrong, so they might well do so again, but outside of Gordon I don't think anyone is a particularly good 1-on-1 defender.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Lalanne definitely has the tools to be the best big in the A-10. His frame and skill set was never the problem IMHO.

The same was true last year and he was what he was. A good, sometimes spectacular, sometimes very average big man.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
But, perhaps, losing a few pounds is indicative of a new focus on conditioning which may be a sign of a new, more-focused mindset. It was the case for Kanacevic last year, and Halil wasn't half the athlete Lalanne is.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Perhaps. Time will tell I suppose.

Need the guards to be able to get him the ball to really know for sure. I don't know enough about how good the new guys are at doing that. Chaz commanded attention and created plays for others like few other PGs in the country last year.

·
Piker
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
2014-15 Atlantic 10 coaches poll
The league's coaches rank the teams and weigh in on key preseason topics

In 2013-14, Saint Louis won the Atlantic 10 regular-season title and Saint Joseph's punched its ticket to the NCAA tourney by claiming the A-10 tournament crown. In all, there were six teams from the league that received NCAA tourney bids.

There will be depth and balance in the league again this season. However, one school was the unanimous choice to win the A-10 after polling the league's coaches.

Which team is the preseason favorite to win the A-10 in 2014-15? And how will the rest of the league stack up? We polled a number of coaches in the league to get their take on the conference this season. Note that we've kept the quotes anonymous to get the most honest answers:

Atlantic 10 preseason coaches poll

Total votes next to teams; number of first-place votes in parentheses

1. VCU Rams (28) - 392

2. Dayton Flyers - 344

3. George Washington Colonials - 338

T4. Massachusetts Minutemen - 278

T4. Richmond Spiders - 278

6. Rhode Island Rams - 268

7. La Salle Explorers - 212

8. Saint Joseph's Hawks - 210

9. Saint Louis Billikens - 160

10. St. Bonaventure Bonnies - 112

11. Duquesne Dukes - 108

12. Davidson Wildcats - 98

13. George Mason Patriots - 94

14. Fordham Rams - 48

In addition to casting their votes on the league order, a number of Atlantic 10 coaches weighed in on key topics heading into the season, including Player of the Year, surprise team and more. Here's a roundup of their thoughts:

On the league favorite: "VCU is the favorite, but people have to remember that Shaka Smart has still never won his league. I do think this will be this year, but they lost their inside presence in Juvonte Reddic."

On the rest of the league: "Archie Miller and Dayton are the darlings, but people have to remember that they wouldn't have even made the NCAA tourney last season if they didn't go on a run the last few weeks of the season. I'm not so sure they can duplicate the success they had last season."

On the mystery team: "UMass. Without Chaz Williams and some of their veterans that really bought in, it'll be interesting to see if Derek Kellogg can keep that program where it can compete for one of the top spots in the league. Chaz was so tough, and looked like a great leader. I'm not sure they will be able to find someone who can do what he did."

Another take on the mystery team: "Davidson. They are new to the league, and it's tough making a jump -- just look at Butler. I know Bob McKillop has done a tremendous job with that program, but the SoCon isn't the A-10."

On the surprise team: "Rhode Island. Expectations were way too high last season, but I think they are ready now. E.C. Matthews may be the best player in the league, but the key for them is whether their big kid [Jordan Hare] can live up to his potential. I think they have a shot to be a tourney team and finish in the top three of our league."

On the Player of the Year: "I'd say the front-runner has to be Treveon Graham. He's a senior and is on the team that will be favored to win the league. He's a tough matchup."

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11660309/2014-15-atlantic-10-coaches-poll-preview-college-basketball?ex_cid=InsiderTwitter_GoodmanA10

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
These guys don't make predictions for us; they make predictions for the throngs of know-nothing fans of your P5 schools who think they're well-informed by reading Matt Norlander every week.

I have no problem realizing and saying I know more basketball than the dunces who follow, believe, and read these guys to learn about the game.

I just watch this thing called basketball, though, so what do I know.

Ghost of Millard Fillmore

161 - 180 of 4476 Posts