Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Jersey Girl
10,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
kobe is too freakin arrogant!!! at the press conference after the game, he wore a joe namath jersey. one of the reporters asked him why (or something like that) and kobe had this conceited smile on his face and said "we're not the underdogs. they're the underdogs". he made a few more arrogant comments during the press conference...i just can't remember what they were. :no:

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Since Joe Namath was the first athlete to "guarantee" a victory, that is Kobe's way of "guaranteeing" a three-peat. He knows nobody can stop Shaq - but he might have forgotten that somebody can (maybe Jefferson & KMart - both who have way MORE defense than KVH) and will stop either Fox or Horry - the 3rd needed scorer for the Lakers to win.

We shall see, we shall see.

·
Site Founder
15,518 Posts
It is all in the eyes of the beholder...I didn't see arrogance, I saw confidence and optimism.

Sure there is a little arrogance there, but I believe to be truly successful as an athlete, you have to have extreme confidence that may come off as arrogance or cockiness to others who may have or may have not played the game.

I daresay I used to trash talk myself many a time on the playgrounds...but that is not how I am in daily life.

The guy is about to become a champion for the third year in a row. Optimism, extreme confidence, cockiness, arrogance...whatever you want to call it...they all come with the greatness of such a feat.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Exactly! When Namath guaranteed the victory, I really didn't read much or hear much about him being "arrogant", all I heard was the "guarantee" and how people thought he was just being "Broadway Joe".

To be very good to excellent, one must be cocky/arrogant/any other adjective you want to use there.

It (arrogance) has everything to do with being a great player, playing on what you know is a great team, having a great coach, and knowing that the time is right. That is arrogance. Some hate it, others like it, others just pass by it.

One thing I know - the leader and the 2nd in command on any great team had best know those things - or they won't win it all. They had best be arrogant or they won't win.

So - Kobe and Shaq being arrogant should be expected. It is NORMAL.

·
Beer Drinker!!!
8,247 Posts
Shaq can be as ARROGANT as he wants to be,cuz hes the ONLY reason the Fakers have 2 rings,not to mention the ONLY reason their in the playoffs!

Lets NOT campare Kobe to Namath O.K.?!

That would be like comparing Brady to Marino!

Brady = 1 hit wonder with the Pats!

Dan Marino = GREATEST QB EVER!

Kobe = The BIT*H that lives in Shaqs shadow!

Namath = AWESOME QB,but NOT as GREAT as Dan the Man!:D

In other words Namath and Marino are leaders,while Kobe and Brady are nothing more than OVER HYPED A$$CLOWNS!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Originally posted by Ron
It is all in the eyes of the beholder...I didn't see arrogance, I saw confidence and optimism.

Sure there is a little arrogance there, but I believe to be truly successful as an athlete, you have to have extreme confidence that may come off as arrogance or cockiness to others who may have or may have not played the game.

I daresay I used to trash talk myself many a time on the playgrounds...but that is not how I am in daily life.

The guy is about to become a champion for the third year in a row. Optimism, extreme confidence, cockiness, arrogance...whatever you want to call it...they all come with the greatness of such a feat.
Extreme confidence begets arrogance, but if they pull it off, it is justified I guess

·
Registered
9 Posts
Let's face it we never liked the kid in the playground who always talked tough when is big brother was nearby and that's the way I feel about Kobe. He's real cocky but he always has Shaq in his corner. I hope the day comes that he is actually the best player on his own team and has to lead them himself. Then we will see the real Kobe. Maybe he can do it maybe he can't.

Until then he will keep wearing his other atheletes jersies and wanting to be like someone else instead of being his own man. Wasn't it Jerry West's jersey at one of the parades?

I bet he has a closet of MJ jerseys that he wears in private. Hey did I see UNC shorts when changed his laker shorts courrtside versus the Kings?

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Maybe the word 'arrogant' is the wrong word to be used for Kobe in this context. Looking up the word, I found that it is about 'exaggerating one's own importance' or 'unwarranted' self-praise.

I don't think that fits Kobe at all, as he has immense skills, uses them to help his team, and arrogance just doesn't fit him in this context.

He is confident and self-assured - with good reason.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I didn't realize that this jersey thing was a new "look at me" attempt. Over on NBA.com they are keeping track of his jersey selections so far.

Gretzky, Hank Aaron, Pedro Martinez, Joe Montana, Namath, Jerry West......

And I was only joking about his Jordan wannabee status but he leaves himself open-

"So the real question is, would Bryant wear a current NBA player's uniform?

"Oh yeah, I'd definitely wear one of a current player," said Bryant.

Anyone in particular?

"Uh ... Jordan."

Wizards or Bulls?

"Bulls, man. Definitely."

Interpret that uniform choice as you will. "

·
Registered
553 Posts
Originally posted by Home Court
Let's face it we never liked the kid in the playground who always talked tough when is big brother was nearby and that's the way I feel about Kobe. He's real cocky but he always has Shaq in his corner. I hope the day comes that he is actually the best player on his own team and has to lead them himself. Then we will see the real Kobe. Maybe he can do it maybe he can't.

Until then he will keep wearing his other atheletes jersies and wanting to be like someone else instead of being his own man. Wasn't it Jerry West's jersey at one of the parades?

I bet he has a closet of MJ jerseys that he wears in private. Hey did I see UNC shorts when changed his laker shorts courrtside versus the Kings?
Yep, pretty much summarises the way I feel about him too

·
Registered
63 Posts
I cant stand Kobe. Or Mark Madsen for that mater.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Kiss my @$$

Kiss my a$$ Kobe is the master, you are just crying like a little baby.:( It's hilarious to hear whiners like you cry about how good the Lakers are. Now you're taking shots at Kobe's jerseys. LA is the best, and you can't except it. Until someone proves otherwise, we'll all still be laughing here in LA.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Everyone else, besides the Clippers isn't worth talking about.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts