Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If only NBA labels were as easy to discard as those you find on the back of t-shirts.

A simple yank and you have a label-free garment. However, NBA players have found that getting rid of labels requires great effort on their part, in an attempt to prove themselves.

Detroit Pistons guard Carlos Arroyo is well aware of that.

He knows his ability as a player has been questioned -- is he the guy who started for Utah a couple seasons ago, or the one who spent much of the playoffs last season watching from the Pistons bench because then-head coach Larry Brown didn't have a lot of confidence in him to run the team?
"Every year I want to prove myself, I want to improve every time and I want to get better," he said. "It's an individual challenge I got. I don't feel I have to prove anything to anybody."

Still, he admits he needs to play better this season than he did when he arrived in Detroit via a midseason trade last season from Utah.

That added motivation has manifested itself into a solid start to the season for the point guard. Arroyo has arguably been the best and most consistent Piston reserve.

In Detroit's first three games, Arroyo is averaging 6.7 points and 5.7 assists per game while playing just 15.3 minutes a game.

Before the season, Pistons coach Flip Saunders talked about how Arroyo was beginning to understand what was expected from him.
Link

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Re: Arroyo sheeding label after solid start

Still my most hated piston. What I would do for another year of Mike James.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts

He seems to be forcing his shot instead of passing lately....at least thats how it appeared to me.

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Even after posting this article and reading it completely he still hasn't been all that impressive to me. He played well when he first got here, but for the most part he has not played like I thought he would. He's still a capable backup though. I really wish we could combine he and Lindsey's abilities.

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts

When I first read the mispelt title of this thread I thought it was just a title with a terrible play on words in reference to Rasheed Wallace. Now that I read it I am happy it's not. :D

I am a firm believe in Arroyo being a contributor for us, and I have been since we acquired him.

·
Registered
568 Posts

He obviously has the skills, but I'm not very optimistic about him putting it all together. Is the guy dumb or what? :(

·
Registered
12,080 Posts

ian said:
He obviously has the skills, but I'm not very optimistic about him putting it all together. Is the guy dumb or what? :(
He is not dumb. He is just having trouble adjusting his game to the NBA level, he is much more setup for INT play. He will catch on in due time.

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

kamego said:
He is not dumb. He is just having trouble adjusting his game to the NBA level, he is much more setup for INT play. He will catch on in due time.

The optimism is fine, but at some point and time you just have to say "he is what he is" and go from there. Arroyo isn't at that point yet, but his play has been a bit of a dissappointment since the trade and his improvement has been minimal.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I think hell be fine with time, he just needs to get back to playing quick and penetrating looking to dish first and shoot later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts