Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Stern acknowledged that he had considered shortening Artest's suspension. "At a certain point in the last week or two we decided the most important thing here is Ron's return to the NBA and the best path for that is through a program in which he's now engaged," Stern said Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said Monday he wasn't surprised by Stern's decision, although he held out hope for reinstatement." Indianapolis Star

Is this suppose to mean he will not be allowed to play in the playoffs?

·
Registered
665 Posts
I posted this in the main forum.....Any opinions?

Shabadoo said:
There is one thing about the Artest situation that I don't think has been touched upon in any great depth. That is the question of his mental state having bearing on his actions being "his fault".

I find it interesting that I have a great deal of sympathy for Artest because I feel that he has a mental condition. While his actions were obviously wrong, it is quite clear that he just "snapped". While it is arguable that "snapping" happens to sane people, I think we have seen Artest do drastic things on impulse far too many times to just assume he is of a normal state of mind. His actions do not seem to be pre-meditated. Clearly, all is not well.

So, if he has a mental condition that can be clinically diagnosed is it really his "fault"? I think the same divisions can be seen in a lot of high profile cases. I think he's an idiot, but I don't particularly hate Mike Tyson, who I think is in the same boat as Artest. We could stretch this further to include Michael Jackson: sick pervert, or mentally ill? I myself tend to more ardently condemn those who actually are conscious of what they are doing.

This all boils down to one question: if you are mentally ill, and you do something stupid, is it really your "fault"?

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Artest could claim "insanity" to the league, and he might even win- but he would lose in the long run IMO.

If he goes and admits that he is mentally ill and that is the reason for his outburst, he is saying that he is too ill to be trusted back out on the court- unless he is taking medication and seeing a psychiatrist on a regular basis.

And I'm not talking Zoloft and an hour a week with a therapist- I'm talking some major anti-psychotic drugs and sedatives, and daily visits with top psychiatrists and psychoanalysts.

But that's just me, I'm no lawyer. There is a "law student" around the boards right now that you could ask, but you better make it quick before he gets banned again.
:rotf:

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Shabadoo said:
I posted this in the main forum.....Any opinions?
I agree with the poster above me. The real issue isn't punishment, but safety and the ability to keep the game under control. He does need help. Sometimes, denying the person the one thing they really want to do can help them face up to that fact.

This is beyond serious, in my opinion.

·
Queensbridge
1,936 Posts
And what bothers me most is that this all but confirms that even if Indiana makes it to the playoffs itself, they will be whipped into an early elimination. I've got them projected to be the 8th seed, with Orlando and Philly as the odd men left out to think about the off-season a week earlier then them.

Artest is crazy, but I love his hard-nosed style. I think he won't come back as a Pacer and will be getting offers, but as weird as the guy is, he's a great guy to have on your team. On the contrary to what some may think, I think he's probably a great player in the locker-room, focused on winning, and just has sudden outburst. The type that you'd trust and go to "war" with, though.

·
Registered
156 Posts
What drives me crazy is a lot of people kept holding onto the hope that Stern would let Artest come back this year. I knew that was never going to happen.

He does have mental problems, but refuses to take meds. I don't think he's all that great a player in the locker room. Watching his mood swings would give anyone whiplash.

I think he'll still be a Pacer because what team is a)stupid enough to want his baggage and b) willing to give up comparable worth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts