Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Timberwolves organisation needs a complete shakeup. Instead of bashing Kevin Garnett let us analyse why his team keeps getting knocked out in the first round of the playoffs. Firstly, i believe that it is a huge effort for the Timberwolves to even make the playoffs considering the lack of overall talent that they have. At centre - Nesterovic has proved nothing. Every year we hear how he is still developing. They will probably say this after he has been in the league for 10 years.

At power forward they have Joe Smith, who is basically just a role player now. They lost draft picks and huge money to sign him so he can take charges and occassionaly rebound. the issue is here, Garnett is left to pick up the slack for the lack of quality big guys on the roster. He has no help, so he has to do the lot himself, defend, rebound, block shots, etc.

Sure Sczerbiak is a good player, but they need more talent around Garnett and Wally. Brandon has been injured and his attitude has always been questioned.

The team has always been hit hard by free agency. For example Tom Gugliotta left for Phoenix, when he was playing great putting up 18 points and 8 rebounds a game. They lost Marbury, when he wanted to be the #1 option for the Nets, and got Brandon in return. No offence here, but Marbury is a better player than Brandon, he can score when he wants and can go and get his shot whenever he wishes. He is also more explosive on offence and bigger and stronger on defence.

Overall they lack a small forward, power forward and centre of any quality. Surprise, it is Garnett who is covering the holes with these postitions with the Timberwolves.Anyone who can put up 20/10 and 5 for the last 6 years please let me know and then I will let you bash Garnett.

The lack of draft picks has also and will kill the Timberwolves. Free agency needs to help them, in this regard but they have lost Billups and it does not appear that anyone of any quality will be signing a free agent contract with the Timberwolves in the near future. Hopefully Marc Jackson can shut up and play centre like he did with the Warriors a season ago.

Overall Garnett is doing his job and also covering for other players. they need more help in the front court and in the backcourt. Their bench players are poor and no real legitimate back ups.The bottom line is that this team is lucky to even make the playoffs each year, let alone make it out of the first round!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Now this is just my opinion, KG is just a tad bit overrated. I can't remember the last time I saw him dominate a game or carry his team in the fourth quarter. Maybe it's the way Flip coaches or the fact that they never have a regular point guard. KG, please post up sometimes..............use a hook shot, damn...........7 footer with nary a bit of post game....fading away all damn day. Still a great player though. Anyway, just my two pennies.

Rac

·
Registered
96 Posts
Question of Garnett's contract

When does his contract expire?
How much will he make in last year?

The key question is once it expires, what is the max he can make? Does he have to go back to the $14 million, or can he make more. Why would the Twolves offer him more than the 14-15 million?

He is a great player, but not Shaq

·
Registered
19 Posts
Garnett is the problem

Garnett is the problem. The first is financial - he makes way too much money - almost half of what the T-Wolves pay out. The second problem is new - his big mouth. His latest ESPN article points the finger directly and indirectly negatively against his team-mates - you just don't do that. Then the other interview highlights - "I am underpaid for everything I do" - give me a break. He's going to have to leave Minnesota because they can't squeeze his big head into that State anymore. Its quite clear from the article he wants others to pick up the slack and take this team out of the first round, but he takes almost no responsibility for himself. He simply not too smart - does he think the T-Wolves are all of a sudden going to be able to have more money to sign somebody to make a difference - not with garnett's fat contract on the books. A lot of athletes are not very intelligent and most of them don't say too much or put themselves in these type of situations. Its appears to me that Garnett does not realize how dumb he is.

Bully

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Garnett is the problem. He has a huge contract and isn't worth what his contract pays him. He is being paid shaq like salary but not putting out shaq like dominance.

I have no problems w/ Garnett going after a huge salary(it's natural to want lots of money), but don't blame your team mates when you are sucking away salary cap room to get other good players. You can only blame the organization for being stupid enough to overpay you, and yourself for not thinking long term about your huge contract. But the teammates are doing just about what they should do for their contracts, KG isn't.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts