Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Article: Murphy Bad for Warriors

618 views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  halfbreed 
#1 ·
Murphy Bad for Warriors

If the Warriors didn't have that nagging desire to actually win games, Troy Murphy would be practically their perfect power forward.

He has the gym-rat jump shot that fans adore and the Notre Dame pedigree that makes TV announcers swoon. He rebounds manically.

If he got yanked from the starting lineup or traded, a thousand Murphy fans would light candles, chant on the streets and institute an immediate boycott.

But now that the Warriors are reveling in the Baron Davis Spring, when they look and play like a real team, what they need from a power forward is the opposite profile of the Warriors' current occupant: Strong, active defense and low-post scoring skill.

The reality is that Zarko Cabarkapa and Andris Biedrins are better long-range teammates for Davis than Murphy. And an aggressive shot-blocker like Philadelphia's Samuel Dalembert would be the ideal addition.

The Murphy reality is that a power forward just can't be a defensive liability; if he is, opponents get loads of easy points and the Warriors lose.

See less See more
#2 ·
I agree. He's the type of power forward who will put up decent numbers but at the end of the game, he won't have made a difference. This team has plenty of jumpshooters in the backcourt, it doesn't need one at the PF position. It's too bad he got that long extension because now we are stuck with him forever.

#3 ·
It's hard to badmouth Murphy because he works hard, has a good outside j, and puts up good numbers especially in rebounds. But i hate the fact that our PF is a jumpshooter. I would prefer if he could work on his interior D and low post moves.

#6 ·
MightyReds2020 said:
And why can't Murphy develops into a more natural low-post player? Any evidence he has topped out? Way to jump off the bandwagon.
Don't mistake constructive criticism for "jumping off the bandwagon" as you put it. I praised him for his strengths, i always have. I'm always first to praise a player for what he brings to the table rather than what he lacks. The criticism i offered is the fact that he does not possess what our team lacks. I'm sure he can develop some kind of post game, but we all know that right now he does not display one.

Also, developing a low post game and having a natural post game are 2 different things.

#7 ·
My post was directed more to those who screamed: "Trade Murphy Now!" (Read: The article), rather than you two guys.

I do realized Murphy's weaknesses (the D, the lack of inside offensive moves, etc) but what Tim Kawakami failed to realize is Murphy is already a solid role player right now, especially if he plays alongside a more 'powerful' player up front. Of course the Warriors need to address this issue, but a trade does not necessary need to start and end with Murphy.

#8 ·
Murphy's style of play isn't really the prototype PF, but he's still a much much better player than Zarko and Biedrins. "Better long-range teammates"......well, that's no guarantee, but what is guaranteed is that Murphy's going to be better than either one of those guys for the next couple of years, at least.

I guess I understand the guy's point and what he's trying to say, but realistically he should be glad that they have Troy Murphy on the team, because you can do a lot lot worse than Mr. Murphy.

#9 ·
New Orleans might take Murphy for PJ Brown, a defender PF.

#11 · (Edited)
vigilante said:
But I agree he doesn't fit with this team. A defensive minded PF with a post game would fit much better, and as mentioned earlier PJ Brown would fit that need.
We don't even need a real defensive-minded PF but we need a PF who at least tries to defend; Murphy might be the worst defender in the league, at the moment. In the past week, Murphy has seemed to improve defensively and he seems to give some effort now (which may be why he had 2 single-digit games in the past week). I hope he works on it over the summer, history proves that he works on his weaknesses but it's hard to transform from a horrible defender to an average let alone good one.

I also highly doubt that Murphy will become a true/decent post player. Nearly every possession where he gets the ball inside, he is blocked (he's blocked 17% on the inside). Thee worst thing about this is that when he is blocked, he looks at the ref for 2-3 seconds before running back on defense.

#13 ·
I think you guys are just a little too harsh on Murphy. He's probably never going to earn the money he got on his extension, but he's still a solid PF. He's one of the better 3 point shooters in the league (percentage wise) and he pulls down tons of rebounds. Like I said earlier, you could do a lot worse than Troy Murphy.

#14 ·
KokoTheMonkey said:
I think you guys are just a little too harsh on Murphy. He's probably never going to earn the money he got on his extension, but he's still a solid PF. He's one of the better 3 point shooters in the league (percentage wise) and he pulls down tons of rebounds. Like I said earlier, you could do a lot worse than Troy Murphy.
A lot of Warriors fans are really down on Murphy recently for whatever reasons. I personally see a young PF who's worth keeping for quite some time.

And the comments in regard 'Murphy's games don't fit with the Warriors'. That's one of the more radiculous accused people have made. How exactly does Murphy's game do not fit? I never saw any explanations? Sure, the Warriors need a real inside presence on both ends of the floor and because Murphy is not (yet), he's being orally beaten to death by fans. I mean, the Warriors surely need a low-post threat, but it does not necessary has to be Murphy. Get them a guy who has some decent low-post arsenals and all of a sudden Murphy will look good. Can you name me one Warrior who could take the frontcourt pressure off Murphy? Have you guys ever wondered if Murphy looked bad only because he does not have much help?

And comments about Murphy will never developed into such and such? Wow, luckily you are only a fan on a basketball board.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.