Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/basketball/159256_locke04.html

The calendar says we are within two weeks of the NBA trade deadline, and Sonics fans are singing the same anthem: "Get us a big man."

According to league sources, the available players include Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Eddy Curry, Tyson Chandler, Rasheed Wallace, Michael Olowokandi and Scot Pollard.
Can't post the article entirely, but it is quite interesting. Says that Eddy is referred to as 'mutt' inside NBA circles due to his poor conditioning and perceived lack of desire/commitment. Nate McMillan gives props to Chandler and his 'KG-like' abilities. Not much to sniff at here, but an interesting non-Chicago read ;)

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
I think we can post the whole part on the Bulls big men. It's only 5 paragrahs in a 20-some paragraph article.

"Eddy Curry's combination of size and skills makes one drool. He stands 7 feet tall and is just 21. The former No. 4 draft pick has great touch around the basket and has flashed the ability to be a low-post threat. His size is his top asset.

Last season, he led the league in shooting percentage. In the second half of last season, he shot 62 percent and averaged 17 points and 6 rebounds. His past two games, Curry has scored 27 and 25 points against the Blazers and Sonics.

BUT, he is openly referred to as a "mutt" inside NBA circles. He was nearly 70 pounds overweight when he was a high school senior. If he can't take care of himself, why should you invest your future in him? His rebounding is inadequate for a center. In January, he averaged 4.8 rebounds a game. His commitment, desire and effort to get any better are seriously in doubt. Is that what you want out of a franchise piece?

Curry's teammate is Tyson Chandler. Nate McMillan said Chandler has "the ability to do Kevin Garnett-type things with his body." It is a fair comparison at 7-1 and 235 pounds. Chandler loves to rebound and defend ... a rare combination in a 21-year-old. The No. 2 pick of the 2001 NBA draft is averaging 12 points and 10 rebounds. In the first two weeks this season, he had one night of 22 points and another of 22 rebounds.

BUT, he has played just 12 of 49 games due to a sore back. Are you willing to rest your franchise on a 21-year-old with back problems?"

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the "mutt" reference is pretty cold. It implies that many around the league think Eddy is soft.

Still, I'd like to formally tell the Land of Starbucks that Eddy is not going anywhere. That is unless you're willing to part with Ray Allen or Shard Lewis. Even then, Pax is likely to give the Twin Towers another year to prove their long term worth.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
In a couple of years eddy will be averaging 18 - 19 pts per game. Now he may never average more that 7 or 8 rebounds but he will develop into a good shot blocker and will continue to shot well over 50%. He is not going anywhere and when finally paired with a dominant defensive PF like chanlder he will be fine and an allstar in a year or two.

The problem with our team is not eddy it is we have awful guard play. You can't win in the nba without veteran guards and we don't have any yet. Every offensive and defensive set starts with the guards and every game we suffer here. Hinrich is still a rookie and clearly hit the wall a couple of weeks ago. And JC. Well the paper said it all. After one of the most awsome plays of the year, boncing the ball off the backboard to jam with a foul for a three point play. He is too busy celebrating too cover his man, and allen hits a wide open 3 because JC does not understand there is more to the game then scoring and how he looks. Don't blame eddy for the short comings of others.

david

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I thought the range of players listed in the article was interesting. Wallace makes sense if only for an expiring contract but I wouldn't think the Sonics would look his way because of what they'd have to give up to get him and possibly lose him this summer. Abdur-Rahim is a good player. He's proven and he can score in many different ways. Then they mention Olowakandi and Pollard. Talk about guys who aren't earning their keep. Yea, you can get them but why? Then they have Curry and Chandler as available. From all I've heard they aren't. Also, in order for the Bulls to get back anything close to value from the sonics, other players have to be involved. It just wouldn't make sense and I can't see the sonics gutting their roster for either Curry or Chandler and our overpaid vets/scrubs.

I'm thinking this is a local writer throwing out Sam Smith-like crap and hoping some of it sticks.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Originally posted by <b>superdave</b>!
Yeah the "mutt" reference is pretty cold. It implies that many around the league think Eddy is soft.
I think that's been clear from the start. Why else would a guy with his physical talents go 4th in the draft behind a twig with no offensive skills (Chandler) a twig with no defensive skills (Gasol), and Kwame, who has a better frame that Chandler or Gasol, but clearly started with less pure basketball skills and IQ?

Point is, if everyone thought Curry was a bad-*** who wanted it and would take no prisoners, he would have been the far and away #1 pick. Kwame probably would have been a distant second, and then a toss-up between the other two.

This isn't to say any of these guys aren't going to turn out, it's just that I think lots of people (MJ for example, who I seem to remember had Tim Grover checking out Curry very closely) looked at Curry and saw a creampuff.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!

I think that's been clear from the start. Why else would a guy with his physical talents go 4th in the draft behind a twig with no offensive skills (Chandler) a twig with no defensive skills (Gasol), and Kwame, who has a better frame that Chandler or Gasol, but clearly started with less pure basketball skills and IQ?
Not that this is what the thread is about, but I would disagree with you about Kwame's skills. I think he came in much more skilled than Tyson on the offensive end, but with less size (of course) than Eddy and the same questionable drive. He's now starting to round into shape, and I can see him becoming the star he was projected to be, very much in the mold of Jermaine O'Neal. He could still wind up better than either of our twin towers.

Funny how almost three years later, it's still not clear who is the best and who is the worst of these three.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Well color me dumb in the early morning, but I don't really understand the "mutt" reference. But regardless, the Sonics need a big man. Not another small forward. Which is what Eddy rebounds and blocks shots like.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Darius Miles Davis</b>!

Not that this is what the thread is about, but I would disagree with you about Kwame's skills. I think he came in much more skilled than Tyson on the offensive end, but with less size (of course) than Eddy and the same questionable drive. He's now starting to round into shape, and I can see him becoming the star he was projected to be, very much in the mold of Jermaine O'Neal. He could still wind up better than either of our twin towers.

Funny how almost three years later, it's still not clear who is the best and who is the worst of these three.
Yeah, I didn't phrase what I meant very well. What I meant to say is that Kwame was probably kind of a balanced middle between Pau and Tyson in terms of offense and defense. Kwame's get less O than Pau but more than Tyson. More D than Pau but less than Tyson. It didn't really come out that way though.

But I do agree that he's starting to look better and better, more and more consistent. I'm pretty sure now, that he's going to be a good player at the very least, and not an outright bust.

·
Registered
125 Posts
That article is exaggerating a little on Eddy. 70 points overweight? Even if he was, say, 310, that implies that his playing weight is 240, i.e. Kwame-sized. Er, no.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Originally posted by <b>giusd</b>!
After one of the most awsome plays of the year, boncing the ball off the backboard to jam with a foul for a three point play. He is too busy celebrating too cover his man, and allen hits a wide open 3 because JC does not understand there is more to the game then scoring and how he looks. Don't blame eddy for the short comings of others.

david
You win a toaster...

Another person who didn't see the game but yet makes a comment!

It's nice to be able to read things that aren't true, and repeating them because you despite the fact is false just completes the nonsense.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Originally posted by <b>arenas809</b>!

You win a toaster...

Another person who didn't see the game but yet makes a comment!

It's nice to be able to read things that aren't true, and repeating them because you despite the fact is false just completes the nonsense.
i saw the game. and it was an awesome dunk. HIGH ELEVATION as they said on sportcenter!! and from what i could see he did not "celebrate" like the paper said, so that was a bit unfair BUT he DID NOT GET BACK in time to defend allen. for whatever reason. he didn't. end of story. and after ray allen hit that three they cut to a close-up of him and the look on his face was "not in my house jamal, i don't care if it is your hometown" i saw it. that's what i saw.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Originally posted by <b>mizenkay</b>!

i saw the game. and it was an awesome dunk. HIGH ELEVATION as they said on sportcenter!! and from what i could see he did not "celebrate" like the paper said, so that was a bit unfair BUT he DID NOT GET BACK in time to defend allen. for whatever reason. he didn't. end of story. and after ray allen hit that three they cut to a close-up of him and the look on his face was "not in my house jamal, i don't care if it is your hometown" i saw it. that's what i saw.

:no: He did get back it was absolutely nothing like that at all, AT ALL !! He was on Allen the entire time and Allen came off a screen with Craws hand in his face and hit a tough fadeaway 3 .It was the 3rd quarter and for the record Allen never scored again after that.

Some of this nonsense is based soley on reputation and not on what really happened.

No one denies Crawfords lack of good defensive consistency but the way this was described was a complete joke .

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Originally posted by <b>mizenkay</b>!

the look on his face was "not in my house jamal, i don't care if it is your hometown" i saw it. that's what i saw.
This is why Spike Lee cast Ray Allen. Look at what he could say with one look. Not only could he express that this(KeyArena) was indeed his house. But he could further deliniate the degree to which it was his house by expressing that it was his house in spite of the added factor of Seattle being Jamal's hometown.

It's amazing, because with this one look Ray Allen is able to conjure both his own personal history(there's a degree to which he even acknowledges a bit of alienation in seattle in that he is trying to justify himself as a Sonic in the face of a guy who calls the City where Ray works, home) but also he is able to bring in Jamal's history. With this one look he is able to capture Jamal's early days in Seattle, to his time in LA where he longed for Seattle, playing on his driveway, to his arrival at Michigan, to his arrival at Chicago...only to return, and indeed come full circle, only to have Ray Allen make this shot and give this all encompassing look....

This only confirms what we all already knew, which is that Ray Allen is quite possibly the most amazing person on the planet. And given that, I don't know how anyone could have expected Jamal to stop the shot in the first place, hometown or not. He had no chance against such a superior being as Ray Allen.

Astounding.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Originally posted by <b>futuristxen</b>!

This is why Spike Lee cast Ray Allen. Look at what he could say with one look. Not only could he express that this(KeyArena) was indeed his house. But he could further deliniate the degree to which it was his house by expressing that it was his house in spite of the added factor of Seattle being Jamal's hometown.

It's amazing, because with this one look Ray Allen is able to conjure both his own personal history(there's a degree to which he even acknowledges a bit of alienation in seattle in that he is trying to justify himself as a Sonic in the face of a guy who calls the City where Ray works, home) but also he is able to bring in Jamal's history. With this one look he is able to capture Jamal's early days in Seattle, to his time in LA where he longed for Seattle, playing on his driveway, to his arrival at Michigan, to his arrival at Chicago...only to return, and indeed come full circle, only to have Ray Allen make this shot and give this all encompassing look....

This only confirms what we all already knew, which is that Ray Allen is quite possibly the most amazing person on the planet. And given that, I don't know how anyone could have expected Jamal to stop the shot in the first place, hometown or not. He had no chance against such a superior being as Ray Allen.

Astounding.
I just fell out of my chair in laughter... A+ post.

·
Registered
709 Posts
That was a hilarious post futurixsten!!!

On another note, doesn't everyone remember that Jamal took a free throw after his "celebration". It's nonsense to think that Jamal didn't get back because he was celebrating.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts