Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 : A look at the PGs

I really like some of the point guards who may or may not be available in the 2005 NBA Draft. A nice variety of talents and skill sets. I have 5 college guys that I would like to get into here. Chris Paul, Raymond Felton, Jarrett Jack, Deron Williams, and John Gilchrist. Everyone has their favorites as do I. My favorite hands down is Jarrett Jack. I know he is not a sexy pick or anything but I just like the kid. It is possible however that he stays at Tech. They have had a down year and he is a very fierce competitor and may want to come back and have a better finish as a team for Tech.

He has great size and is very strong. As I mentioned a fearless competitor. Drives the lane and finishes quite well. Has improved a lot as a shooter and overall has a great work ethic. A very solid player, maybe not flashy enough for some but is a winner and that is a trait that is immeasurable. The greatest thing I like about him is his defense. He just flat gets up in your grill. If you want a 20 point scorer in the NBA this is not your man. But if you want a leader and a true floor general then this is your guy. Late lottery pick I would imagine.

The guy all the scouts love is Paul. I see why. A coach on the floor. Very exciting player who can flat fill it up when need be and has great court vision and instincts. Everyone says yeah the boy can ball but he is short and undersized but he is too good not to be a stud. Are they right? Maybe. I have reservations. He should come out. He will not get any bigger and his stock is at an all time high. This kid will have a long NBA career. I have no doubt about that. Would I draft him top 5? Honestly I would have a very hard time doing that. Not because I do not like him but investing in a small guy like that with a top 5 pick is dangerous and a risk that I would not take. Having said that if you draft him at put him as your PG, you will never look back. But just do not expect a perennial all star. Take him for what he is. Which is a darn fine PG.

Ray-Ray. Now this kid has star written all over him. I had a hard time deciding between Felton and Jack as which one was my favorite. I went with Jack because of what he does on defense. Not that Felton can’t D up but Jack is a little better on that end and I always lean towards defense first. But Felton is an allstar no doubt about it. That boy has a motor that will not stop. He will flat out push the ball. Stick him somewhere on a fastbreak western conference team and let him run. In a half court I don’t know. We’ll see. He really knows how to set up a teammate well, is a joy to play with, and if called upon can score with the best of them. Has worked hard on his shot and it looks a lot better.

Mr. Williams. A true playmaker. Not overly fast but really understands how to play the PG spot. Would look fantastic in Houston or Utah running a team in the halfcourt. Very similar to Andre Miller but a better shooter I think. I like him. Certainly a first round pick. Needs to work on flow of game and shot selection a little but very solid guy who is as steady as they get. If put in right system could rack up a lot of assists.

Finally with Mr. Gilchrist. I don’t like him. I understand his talent and his size and scoring ability but he is just not a winner. Bad attitude, seemingly very unselfish. If someone can get him focused on what it takes to be a winner he could be something. Just as talented as any of these guys. He will have a career in the NBA. There are tons of these type guys. Reminds me of a poor mans Steve Francis. From this mans seat that ain't a good thing. Purely stat geeks as I like to say. Also a first round pick on talent alone. But if you got a lottery pick stay away. Go with Felton, Paul, or Jack instead.

Basghetti80

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2004 Draft Revisted

Well, with the season getting into playoff mode I thought I’d give everyone a little synopsis of how each draft pick from the 2004 draft has faired so far. This has been some strange year. Teams that were predicted to be pretty terrible (Sonics, Celtics) turned out to be pretty darn good. Teams that were supposed to be very good (TWolves, Lakers), have struggled.
The most exciting part of this season for me though was the ROOKIES. This has been a very solid year for rookies. This draft class may not have had King James and Wade & Melo but it may be one of the most solid classes top to bottom in a very very long time even though it set a record with the amount of high schoolers selected in the 1st round...most have already shown they were worthy of those selections. I watched A LOT of basketball this year. I’ve seen every team play and I’ve read every article I can get my hands on. With that said I’m going to give my end of the season analysis of “The Rookies” of 2004-05. At the end of each Analysis there is a grade for this season and the second grade is for how I think they will do in the future. This is just MY OPINION so if you disagree, that is fine, I expect people too…I’m not the all-knowing by any means…I just thought this would be a good read.

Dwight Howard – When Dwight was drafted 1st overall ahead of Okafor some were shocked and thought the Magic made a mistake. At the very least they thought it would take a couple years before he became a real factor. Howard himself was confident that would not be the case and said he was coming into the league with the expectation of contributing right away. Well Dwight made believers out of the doubters, he’s averaged a double double in his rookie campaign and has shown he’ll be a big time player in this league for years. He was in the rookie/sophomore game and he could be an all-star as soon as next season if he keeps it up. A/A

Emeka Okafor – Before the draft everyone thought Okafor was a lock for #1. He fell to #2 even though he brought UCONN an NCAA title before ending his college career. He has been nothing short of great for the Bobcats this season, making them much more competitive than anyone thought they could possibly be. He’s solid and his back has not been an issue as many feared it would be. He’s the leading candidate for rookie of the year honors and it’s well deserved. Okafor is a class act and will be an all-star in this league. He was chosen for the rookie/soph game but he had to sit it out due to an injury. A/A

Ben Gordan – As his shooting goes, so does Ben Gordan. In the beginning of the season he struggled mightily and so did the Bulls. He’s since found his nitch and has become “clutch” in the 4th quarter. Ben is still coming off the bench but he’s been a great sixth man for a surprising Bulls team. He is still very streaky and his defense leaves a lot to be desired but Ben has endeared himself to Chicago and he should have a very successful career. He will also reach all-star status at least a few times in his career and was a member of the rookie/soph game. He’s got a mentor in none other than Michael Jordan who has taken a liking to the new Chicago star. A-/A

Shaun Livingston – Shaun has been plagued by injuries in his rookie season. He came right out of high school into what is considered the hardest spot to transition from HS to NBA as a Point Guard. Although it’s disappointing that his injuries held him out so much this year, the few times he did get on the court and get to play have been eye openers. This kid is a legitimate PG in a long body. If he can fill into a man’s body and get stronger he could become a top PG in the league. B-/B+

Devin Harris – Devin has had a good rookie season this year. He has not taken over the starting spot on a deep Mavericks roster yet but he has been given some serious minutes at various times this season and he’s responded well. He was a member of the rookie/soph game and he’s shown he can keep up in this league. He will be a good starter within the next two seasons. B-/B+
Josh Childress – Josh started off the season slow on a bad Atlanta Hawks team. Early on people were calling him a bust and saying that Atlanta “wasted” a top pick in the draft on a kid that would never amount to anything. He was excluded from the rookie/soph game and it seemed to ignite him. Since then he’s gone on a tear getting double double after another. Childress has given fans in Atlanta something to hope for along with fellow rookie Josh Smith. Childress may never become an all-star but he’s now shown he’ll be a solid starter in the league and will have a nice career. B+/B+

Luol Deng – How exactly Luol fell this far on draft day is beyond me. He is the quintessential team player, he’ll score, rebound, pass, and oh yeah…play defense. What I’m trying to say is he will do whatever his team needs him to do to win. He is a major reason why the Bulls have been having such a good year. Deng only played one year in college but he already plays like a seasoned vet. He has a very bright future. B+/A-

Rafael Araujo – Well Rafael is a starter on the Raptors, but he still plays less than ten minutes a game? Huh??? I know he gets in foul trouble, but if he’s gonna get in foul trouble and you are not going to play him later anyway, why not let him play through it and see what he can do? I don’t really understand the way Toronto’s coaching staff has used him this season so it’s hard to make a judgement on him but at this point I do think he was drafted too high. I’m not saying he’s a bust, he could turn out ok, but they have to let him play to find out. C-/C

Andre Igoudala – Another Mr. Versitality….Andre does a little bit of everything. His scoring went down after the acquisition of Chris Webber but he still brings a lot to the table in Philly. The very fact that Andre gained a STARTING role out of training camp for a coach like Jim O’Brien (who is known for not playing young guys) speaks volumes about the talented Iggy. I’m surprised he lasted this long in the draft but it’s a perfect fit as Philly now has two AI’s! B+/A-

Luke Jackson – Luke hurt his back in training camp and tried to cover it up. Why he’d want to cover this up is beyond me because before it finally got out that he was hurting people just started to think he was a terrible selection by the Cavs. Luke finally came clean admitting to his injury and sure enough he was hurt enough to need season ending surgery. Because we never really got to see the real Luke Jackson this year I’m going to reserve judgement on him until he is healthy next season. I (Incomplete)/C+

Andris Biedrins – Andris has spent most of the season off the active roster with various “ailments”. Golden State made some trades for next season at the deadline and those trades sent Dale Davis and Cliff Robinson away from the Warriors and left them pretty thin at the C and PF spots. Now Andris is finally starting to get some play and he’s actually doing very well with that time. He is very young, drafted as an 18 year old, but he’s showing all the signs of being a legitimate threat. If he develops into what many think he can, the Warriors may finally say goodbye to the lottery long term. B-/A-

Robert Swift – Swift was a mystery leading into the draft. He refused to work out for anyone, having a promise from someone and it wasn’t the Sonics (Celts anyone). When the Sonics chose him this high it was a surprise to many. Swift is lanky and raw but he’s said to be a tremendous shot blocker and a talented presence. The Sonics have been a surprise hot team this season so we have seen very little of Swift but the few minutes we’ve seen have been good. He could very well become a legitimate starting Center in the West in a few years. C-/B

Sebastien Telfair – Was 13 too high for him? Will people look back and say the Blazers could have had Jefferson, or one of the Smiths? No! Telfair was a PG straight out of High School, anyone expecting him to come in and be a game breaker from day one is not realistic. Telfair, however, is the real deal, I do believe he’ll be a top PG in this league someday. I actually think he’ll be the Blazers starting PG next season. With the Blazers all but eliminated from the playoffs at this point, Telfair is starting and he’s doing pretty well. Keep your eyes out for him, he will become the franchise player that the Blazers so desperately want, he’s a playmaker the likes of Jason Kidd. B/A-

Kris Humphries – We havn’t seen a lot of Kris this year as he plays behind Boozer but he’s quietly done very well in his limited minutes. Kris came out after only his freshman year in college and Jerry Sloan wants guys to play tough defense at all times. It’s a tough team to come into as a young rookie but he has responded well and I think we will be seeing a lot more of Kris in the future. C+/B

Al Jefferson – When the Celtics drafted big Al they were drafting for the future. They did not think they would really get any contribution for him for at least a year or two. Al had other things in mind. He became a valuable piece of the Celtics right away and has shown us that he is the “future” in Boston. But the future is arriving quicker than expected. Al came out of a small Mississippi high school with low competition and he didn’t have the greatest tryout for the Celts…but they took him anyway and they are thrilled they did. He played in the Rookie/Soph game this year and I don’t think it will be long before he makes his first of many appearances in the All-Star game. His offense is superb and once the defense catches up, look out. B/A

Kirk Snyder – We havn’t really seen a tremendous amount of Snyder this year. The Jazz have struggled and Kirk has had to learn Jerry Sloans system. There have been times though that Jerry has gone with the rookie and the rookie hasn’t looked half bad. I think this year has been a growing year for Kirk and next year he should become a solid member of the rotation in Utah. C/B

Josh Smith – Well Josh endeared himself to millions of basketball fans this year when he donned a Dominique Wilkins jersey and went out and won the slam dunk championship. We won’t even mention him skying over Kenyon Martin in the first round of the competition. Josh slid hard on draft day because many thought he was an athletic freak that would never pan out in the NBA and that he should go to college because he lacked the game smarts. Yeah, wrong. Josh has had a very nice rookie season. He has already established himself as a very good rebounder and a tremendous shot blocker. He was a member of the rookie/soph game too. His scoring may be down some lately but Josh has given the Hawks fans something to root for in a season that was hard to watch for them. B/B+

JR (Earl) Smith – JR was a last minute decision to enter the draft…after some bad workouts some thought he made the wrong choice passing up college. He didn’t play much at the beginning of the season and the Hornets had a horrendous start to the year. JR then earned a chance to shine and he has. He’s not consistent yet, he can have a monster game followed by a no-show but he’s very talented. The Hornets fans see him as the future of the franchise and they may be right. JR delighted everyone in the Slam Dunk contest this year and has made a name for himself in the league already. He’s got a good future coming up. B/B+

Dorell Wright – The Heat say they are very high on him but he hasn’t played this season while the rest of the high school rookies have been flourishing. It could just be a case of being stuck on a team that is playing for now and not for the future, but the supporting cast was very shallow early on and they didn’t try him out. I’ve heard so much good about him that I don’t want to rate him until he at least gets a shot so for now he gets an incomplete. I/B-
Jameer Nelson – Jameer started the season with a big ole chip on his shoulder. The NCAA player of the year fell to 20th in the draft and he shook his head in wonder on draft day. Then to add insult to injury the team that drafted him (the Nuggets) quickly traded him to the Magic. Lucky for Jameer, he’s better than people give him credit for. As the season is winding down Jameer has gained the starting PG spot for the Magic and he’s doing very well in that role. He should be a solid starter for a long time…and prove the doubters wrong. B/B

Pavel Podkolzine – Pavel is a sight to behold, a beheamoth of a big man. We havn’t seen him hit the court yet because he had to have surgery to correct a pituitary gland problem that led to his tremendous growth. Pavel is very raw but he does have skill and despite his height he’s not the bean pole one would expect. He has amazing size. The Mavericks have been working with him out of the spotlight and next year maybe we will see if he’s a gigantic star or a gigantic flop….the Mavericks figured he was worth the risk. I/C+

Viktor Khryapa – Viktor suffered an injury over the summer that they thought would take him out of action for a year….in 6 months he is now playing. When he came back from injury the Blazers were still trying to gain a playoff spot so Viktor didn’t get to play. Now that they are out of contention they are giving him some minutes. He looks like a heady player who reads the court well and has a high basketball IQ. He is not flashy and may never put up big numbers but he’s just the kind of solid lunch box type guy the Blazers would love to have coming off the bench. C/B-

Sergei Monia – He did not come over this year so we will have to wait until next year to see Monia play but he has been impressive in Russia this season and he could be the high scoring SG the Blazers want so badly. I/B+

Delonte West – Delonte suffered two injuries this season that kept him out of play until about February. When he finally came off the injured list he was anxious to show he belonged and put up some big shots in his first couple games. The coaching staff in Boston love him and when Payton was gone for a couple games after the trade deadline, Delonte got the starts and did extremely well. He has since come back down to earth but if he can put it all together and become a real playmaker it looks like he will be a solid player for the Celts with a deadly shot when it’s falling. C/C+

Tony Allen – Tony who?, a lot of people thought on draft day….most didn’t even have him in the first round. Well during the Summer people started to take notice, his defense looked special. Well it is special, Tony as a rookie has already drawn many comparisons to Ron Artest sans the trouble. He has already obtained a starting role in Boston and to go along with his defense he seems to be able to fly through the air like a bird. Tony was a member of the rookie/soph game and he will soon be making many all nba defensive teams. B/B+

Kevin Martin – He really hasn’t gotten to show too much this season. He plays for a very talented team in the Kings, but their bench is not that deep. It would seem as if he could have cracked the rotation a bit more than he has. He came in with pretty good expectations but so far we havn’t been shown why the Kings liked him so much…maybe we will find out next year. C-/C

Sasha Vujacic – The Lakers loved him, they still say they love him, but they don’t play him. Undrafted rookie Tierre Brown has gotten a lot more play than Sasha. I think he’s kind of like Marko Jaric…he can play SG or PG but I don’t know if he’s as good as Jaric. With Chucky Atkins as the only proven PG on the team I would have thought Sasha would be getting more time on the floor by now. C-/C+

Beno Udrih – Isn’t it just like the Spurs to grab a diamond this far down in the first round. The Spurs love him. He backs up Tony Parker so he doesn’t see a ton of minutes but when he is in the game there is not a drop off. In fact when Tony missed a game Beno stepped in and scored and dished as if he was Tony. He made the rookie/soph game and he may be a starter soon, he’s already starter material….what does that mean? The Spurs may have a Bobby Jackson situation on their hands, not a bad situation to be in. B+/A-

David Harrison – Harrison was forced to play early due to the fight between the Pacers & Pistons and the subsequent suspensions. He responded well and proved he was a legitimate first round pick. After most of the regulars returned he saw his minutes disappear but no one has forgotten that he can play and likely has a decent future ahead of him. C/B-

Anderson Verejao – How Verejao ever fell to the second round is beyond me. I thought he was underated as a low first rounder and he fell to the top of the 2nd? He’s proved already he’s a keeper in Cleveland (after being traded from the Magic). Verejao is big on the boards and can rebound like the best of them. He had an injury that kept him out of a key part of the Cavs season this year but look for big things from him in the near future…he’ll be a starter most of his career. B/B+

Jackson Vroman – When Pheonix drafted him they were high on him but they traded him to the Hornets in the Jimmy Jackson deal after never really giving him a shot. Vroman is now starting for the Hornets and he’s doing very well getting double doubles on some nights. Vroman will never be a big time star but he’s a solid NBA player and should be part of the rotation on any team he plays with…not bad for a 2nd rounder. B-/B-

Peter (PJ) Ramos – PJ is very young, only 19 years old and out of Puerto Rico but the Wizards really like him. Early in the season they declared him their center of the future. PJ has rarely gotten onto the active roster for a good Wizards team this year but the team says his future looks bright. Because they talk so highly of him and we havn’t gotten to check out his play yet I’m going to hold back on ranking him for now. I/B-

Lionel Chalmers – I for one was surprised Chalmers went this high in the 2nd round. He did though and he made the Clippers roster but on a team desperate for a PG this year due to injuries he hasn’t seen a lot of time on the hardwood. They’ve been forced to use him a little and he hasn’t looked terrible but you have to wonder why he wasn’t utilized more with the shortage at the PG spot. I don’t know that Lionel is long for the league but for now he is on the active roster and trying hard. C-/D+

Donta Smith – Coming from Jr. College to the NBA has proven to be tough by some other players in the past but Donta is making the best of his opportunity. The Hawks really like him and he has performed pretty well for a team that doesn’t have a lot of help. He should be able to stick in the league and have a decent career. C+/C+

Andre Emmett – Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think Andre made a roster? I/D

Antonio Burks – Well the Grizzlies liked Burks enough to cut last years 1st round pick Troy Bell to make room for Antonio on the roster. He plays behind Jayson Williams and Earl Watkins so we don’t see much of him on this deep Griz team but what we have seen shows he can be a decent back-up PG in the league and he probably will be next year as the Griz may lose Watkins in free agency. C/C+

Royal Ivey – Before the acquisition of Tyronne Lue, Ivey actually had to take on the starting PG spot in Atlanta for a period of time. Ivey did not do too poorly. He’s certainly not a star and I doubt he’s a regular starter at any point but he’s a solid back up with decent skills and he was a decent pick up by Atlanta at this point in the draft. C/C-

Chris Duhon – This kid was once considered a top 10 pick but he did not have a very good senior season in college and he slid down so far at some point scouts said he wouldn’t be drafted. Chicago took a flyer on him at this mid-point in the 2nd round and he responded to the challenge. He has been the Bulls starting PG for much of the season and although he’s not a big scorer and his shot is questionable…he’s a very good distributor. He reads the court well and has terrific smarts for a rookie PG. Duhon has secured a place in the league now and even if he leaves Chicago after next year there should be plenty of teams willing to give him a roster slot. B-/B

Albert Miralles – Albert came over for summer league but he is not playing in the NBA yet. He will have to be judged when he’s ready to come to the states. I/C

Justin Reed – When my own Celtics chose Justin at this point I was less than thrilled. He’s a tweener in the ultimate sense. He played terrible in Summer league and I assumed he would not make the roster but he did. Since then he’s finally broken onto the active roster after some trades freed up some room and he’s gotten in some games and surprised us all. Justin can play : ) He’s not a star but he has a sweet shot and he’s a solid defender..he also rebounds very well for a tweener. He may actually stick in the league for a while now. C/C

David Young – I’m pretty sure he’s not on anyone’s roster right now, correct me if I’m wrong. I/D-

Viktor Sanikidze – Viktor has not come to the league yet. I/C-

Trevor Ariza – Ariza was a steal for the Knicks this late in the draft. He only played one year of college and slid on draft day but he’s played like a very solid pick-up from the word go. He’s been in and out of the Knicks rotation, and for that matter their starting line-up. It’s hard for a young guy to go to a team in so much turmoil but Ariza is making the most of his opportunities and is a solid NBA player and possibly a starter in the future.B-/B

Tim Pickett – Tim originally made the Hornets roster and signed a one year deal but he was later waived in November and is now playing in either the CBA or NBDA I forget which. He struggled in his time with the Hornets but he may still catch on with someone…but I doubt it. D-/D

Bernard Robinson – Robinson is in the NBA this season because he was drafted by the expansion Charlotte Bobcats, he probably would not have made many other rosters but he’s active for the Cats now and he’s had a couple solid games. I still don’t see him sticking in the league but for a guy drafted this low he’s done ok for himself. C-/D+

Ha Seung-Jin – I knew Ha had fallen out of the first round but I never dreamed he’d fall this far. He’s young and he’s raw but he’s huge and he has the desire to play in the NBA. He’s currently on the Blazers active roster and although he’s getting very few minutes there is a chance he could become a solid bench player in a year or two if someone has the patience to work with him. C-/C+

Pape Sow – Pape made the Raptors roster, that in itself is a plus when a guy is drafted this far down the 2nd round. He really hasn’t gotten any playing time on the Raps at this point but he’s there so he should be happy about that. I/D+

Ricky Minard – Now here is a guy that did not make a roster and I thought for sure would. Ricky is a talented player and the Kings bench was pretty anemic at times this season, I’m surprised he never got a shot. He is playing in the NBDL now. I/D+

Sergey Lischuk – He was surprised when the Griz selected him and wanted to come over right away and play for them but he’s not here yet….we’ll see if the deep Grizzlies can find room enough to give him a shot. I/D+

Vassilis Spanoulis – Has not come to the league yet. I/D

Christian Drejer – Christian was a disappointment in college, now he’s a disappointment over in Europe…if he doesn’t get his act together he may never don an NBA uniform. F/F

Romain Sato – Sato grabbed a spot on the Spurs roster and was placed on IL to begin the season. He never got off of IL and was cut when the Spurs made a trade with the Knicks and needed to clear a roster spot. They said they liked him but it remains to be seen if Sato has what it takes to play in this league. D+/C-

Matt Freije – Is not in the league at this point to my knowledge. I/C-

Ricky Paulding – Could not make the Pistons roster and I believe he is playing in Europe this season. The Pistons may give him another try in their Summer league this year. I/D-

Luis Flores – I do not know enough about Flores to rank him, I know he’s on the Nuggetts and I know he’s not playing. I/D

Marcus Douhit – Did not make the Lakers roster and I believe he was having some “legal” problems. F/F

Sergei Karoulov – I really don’t know anything about Sergei but if the Spurs drafting record says anything he’ll probably come over in a year or two and be a star lol. : ) I/C-

Blake Stepp – I loved this kid in college and really was hoping the Twolves would give him a shot but he was one of their last cuts in training camp. Given their lack of youth he should have been allowed to stick around. I still think this kid could have done ok for himself but I doubt he gets another shot. I/D-

Rashad Wright – Waived in October by the Pacers. I/F

whiterhino

(players names will be bolded when posted)

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
truebluefan said:
2005 : A look at the PGs

I really like some of the point guards who may or may not be available in the 2005 NBA Draft. A nice variety of talents and skill sets. I have 5 college guys that I would like to get into here. Chris Paul, Raymond Felton, Jarrett Jack, Deron Williams, and John Gilchrist. Everyone has their favorites as do I. My favorite hands down is Jarrett Jack. I know he is not a sexy pick or anything but I just like the kid. It is possible however that he stays at Tech. They have had a down year and he is a very fierce competitor and may want to come back and have a better finish as a team for Tech.

He has great size and is very strong. As I mentioned a fearless competitor. Drives the lane and finishes quite well. Has improved a lot as a shooter and overall has a great work ethic. A very solid player, maybe not flashy enough for some but is a winner and that is a trait that is immeasurable. The greatest thing I like about him is his defense. He just flat gets up in your grill. If you want a 20 point scorer in the NBA this is not your man. But if you want a leader and a true floor general then this is your guy. Late lottery pick I would imagine.

The guy all the scouts love is Paul. I see why. A coach on the floor. Very exciting player who can flat fill it up when need be and has great court vision and instincts. Everyone says yeah the boy can ball but he is short and undersized but he is too good not to be a stud. Are they right? Maybe. I have reservations. He should come out. He will not get any bigger and his stock is at an all time high. This kid will have a long NBA career. I have no doubt about that. Would I draft him top 5? Honestly I would have a very hard time doing that. Not because I do not like him but investing in a small guy like that with a top 5 pick is dangerous and a risk that I would not take. Having said that if you draft him at put him as your PG, you will never look back. But just do not expect a perennial all star. Take him for what he is. Which is a darn fine PG.

Ray-Ray. Now this kid has star written all over him. I had a hard time deciding between Felton and Jack as which one was my favorite. I went with Jack because of what he does on defense. Not that Felton can’t D up but Jack is a little better on that end and I always lean towards defense first. But Felton is an allstar no doubt about it. That boy has a motor that will not stop. He will flat out push the ball. Stick him somewhere on a fastbreak western conference team and let him run. In a half court I don’t know. We’ll see. He really knows how to set up a teammate well, is a joy to play with, and if called upon can score with the best of them. Has worked hard on his shot and it looks a lot better.

Mr. Williams. A true playmaker. Not overly fast but really understands how to play the PG spot. Would look fantastic in Houston or Utah running a team in the halfcourt. Very similar to Andre Miller but a better shooter I think. I like him. Certainly a first round pick. Needs to work on flow of game and shot selection a little but very solid guy who is as steady as they get. If put in right system could rack up a lot of assists.

Finally with Mr. Gilchrist. I don’t like him. I understand his talent and his size and scoring ability but he is just not a winner. Bad attitude, seemingly very unselfish. If someone can get him focused on what it takes to be a winner he could be something. Just as talented as any of these guys. He will have a career in the NBA. There are tons of these type guys. Reminds me of a poor mans Steve Francis. From this mans seat that ain't a good thing. Purely stat geeks as I like to say. Also a first round pick on talent alone. But if you got a lottery pick stay away. Go with Felton, Paul, or Jack instead.

Basghetti80
I think you can delve into the leadership skills of Raymond a little more. Maybe mention the fact that in North Carolina's first game of the season, they lost to Sant Clara with Felton on the bench. He's the catalyst of their play. They play like the best team in the nation when Felton is on the floor.

Williams can also be mentioned as a leader too. His play towards the end of the Arizona along with Arizona choking like it swallowed a bowling ball propelled Illinois to the Final Four. I think that too is worth mentioning.

Other than that, it's not a bad article at all. Williams, Felton, and Paul are sure fire lotto picks, but Jack's stock has fallen off in some mock drafts I've seen. I don't know much about Gilchrist...

Isn't it odd that four of those PGs are from the ACC?

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
On the draft revisited part, having second round players is okay, but I don't think it's wholly necessary. Maybe some of the surprises from round two, but those are all crapshoot picks. Grading a pick in the second round seems unfair, especially since some of them are no longer on teams.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
I think you were a little too generous with the grading of last years draft class..

And like Clay said, you should really mention how Raymond Felton is the catalyst to North Carolinas success. When he is on the bench they struggle trying to push the ball as well as getting into half court sets.

As for Jacks stock falling off Clay, I don't agree with that. Draftcity has him right where he should be.. the 8-13 range.. while draftnet has him at 20 for some reason. I wouldn't take anything draftnet says as credible though.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
vigilante said:
As for Jacks stock falling off Clay, I don't agree with that. Draftcity has him right where he should be.. the 8-13 range.. while draftnet has him at 20 for some reason. I wouldn't take anything draftnet says as credible though.
I don't agree with the falling of it, but I've seen a few others (don't remember where, that has him out of the lottery). Frankly, if Felton is gone by the time the Lake Show makes their pick, Jack is in purple and gold.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Solid analysis of Jack (he is my favorite too), but maybe add a little on his solid midrange game. Maybe talk a little about how quick Paul is (i think that's the reason a lot of scouts love him).

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
ClayVTrainum said:
I don't agree with the falling of it, but I've seen a few others (don't remember where, that has him out of the lottery). Frankly, if Felton is gone by the time the Lake Show makes their pick, Jack is in purple and gold.
heh, not if the raptors have anything to say about that ;)

i could definetly see them taking him at 8, and hopefully phillys pick will be higher than yours so we can pick him up with the 2nd pick instead.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
McDonald's Game Evaluations

I've gotta say, I was impressed with this game overall. Kids are realizing that the NBA scouts are looking for more than just dunks, and that they have to impress the scouts to get into the first round. There was more hustle and defense in this game than in any of the last 5 or so that I have watched. It could have had something to do with the talent level being down so players had to do more skill-related things to show off their strengths, but I really enjoyed watching this one.

Gerald Green - Once again showed the insane natural tools that make him a lock lotto pick in this draft. Has more hops than any HS guy in last year's draft, and tonight he showed that he has the shot. He gets his shot off quickly, and my oh my is it pretty! Quite frankly, I don't see why Green can't go in the top 5. Nearly everybody in the lotto at the moment has some serious downside, and Green is ALL upside. He blew every other prospect out of the water, and that driving dunk that he got fouled on and still threw down on was just unreal. What a prospect!

Andrew Bynum - Absolutely dwarfed everybody out there, so he probably looked a bit better than he actually is. Most years there would be other players out there similar to his size. Still, he's got to be 7'0 +, he runs the floor well, has good post instincts, and seems to be somewhat coordinated. He is probably the most intriguing center prospect to play college ball since David Harrison, and if he keeps improving the way that he has been, he probably won't stick around at the NCAA level very long.

Josh McRoberts - I like him as a college player quite a bit. A legit 6'11 post player that can go inside and outside. Very smooth athleticism, nice touch on the ball, though I don't know how much he showed it tonight. One of the few prospects out there that could legitimately think about declaring.

Julian Wright - Another player like Nate Minnoy that doesn't really fit the mold of one standard basketball position. Seemingly all arms, Wright has freakish athleticism, good vision and ballhandling ability, and defensive intensity, but little offensive game. At 6'8, he is going to be very effective for Bill Self next year, even though he might not score many points. As far as the NBA goes, it looks like he's got a decent floor game and could end up playing a Scottie Pippen-type point forward. He definitely moves like a wing and has the court vision, but his offensive game needs desperate work. A couple of years at Kansas will make him a lotto pick, if the offense improves as expected.

Amir Johnson - One of the harder players to figure out, Johnson shows downright incredible athleticism and very intriguing potential as a shotblocker. He gets up and down the floor like a guard, and is a monster on the glass. Not only is he athletic, but he has a certain smoothness to his game. He isn't a bad ballhandler or shooter either. However, his offensive game is very, very raw. I wanted to see this guy convert a post move very badly, but every time he got the ball down low he would either bobble/lose it or get fouled. I don't think he's the 6'11 that he was listed at for the Roundball, but is probably at least in the 6'9+/6'10 range. Johnson probably needs to go to Louisville for a year and develop his scoring moves quite a bit, but depending on how much PT he gets next to Palacios and Padgett, he could be a one-and-done type talent.

Richard Hendrix - Hendrix has talked about going straight to the league, and while I don't see that happening, there's no doubt he will be a program-changing player for Alabama. I was a bit skeptical of his listed 6'9 height, but that appears to be legit. He is very, very thick for his size, probably the 2nd biggest player overall out there tonight. Several times my first imrpession was, "who is that big guy?", thinking I was looking at a 6'10 or 6'11 C. He's not a show-stopping athlete, but more of a fundamentally strong banger type, like an Elton Brand or Wayne Simien. Eventually he moves on the NBA, and makes a decent living.

Louis Williams - First things first, this guy should not even be considering the NBA. He's got nice athleticism and a fundamentally sound jumper, but he's still a 6'2 WG all the way. This guy is closer to Shannon Brown than Allen Iverson, and that's not a complement coming from an draft perspective. He didn't touch the ball nearly enough tonight, and didn't exactly make good decisions in ballhandling situations the few times he found himself in one. As a scorer he looked nice, but never really wowed me off the dribble. A scoring guard that small had better be able to get to the basket at will, and Williams certainly didn't show that. A nice player for Georgia to recruit, but I don't know about the NBA.

Greg Paulus - Obviously a headsy PG, but I'm already annoyed at the way he plays. This is an all-star game. When Gerald Green is streaking down the floor for the signature play of the night, THROW THE @!&$%$! ALLEYOOP! BOOOOOOOO!!!! Other than that, I didn't see a guy who has the athleticism to make it on the next level, though Paulus is going to be a very good ACC PG. And yeah, Jay Williams, we know he's going to Dook. We know you like him. Talk about somebody else, you second coming of Dookie V.

Martell Webster - Not impressed here at all. He has a decent body, but will clearly be stuck at the WF position. He doesn't move like a pure guard, and doesn't have the skill either. Might be able to overpower people at the HS level, but probably not in college and certainly not in the pro's. He hit a couple of shots early, but I didn't like the mechanics or the feel. Solid athlete, but not a standout.

CJ Miles - Not what I was expecting, but not all bad either. Very skinny, solid but not spectacular athlete. Good outside shooter who probably needs to work on other aspects of his game. People who think he's going to be a first round draft pick need to lay off the pipe. Miles could be ready after a couple of years at Texas, though.

Danny Green - I don't think Green is used to the frenetic pace of the high school all star game, and his tendency to hang on to the ball hurt him a bit tonight. Not the greatest athlete in the world, but has a very nice all-around floor game.

Byron Eaton - I wasn't as impressed with Eaton tonight. He wasn't pushing as hard, and tried forcing some things. For him to be a star at the next level, I want to see him going up and down the court full steam all the time.

Tyler Hansborough - A guy that is going to come in and put up a double-double, but has a somewhat limited upside. Clearly likes to knock people around down low, and given his pedestrian athleticism, this clearly wasn't his platform to shine.

Mario Chalmers - A very nice quick release on his shot. After four years of Aaron Miles, Kansas will finally have somebody that can score from the PG position. However, I really have to wonder about his handle. He palmed the ball on almost every dribble, and didn't look to be steady with the ball at all. Maybe it was just nerves, but I was very disappointed in his overall floor general skill.

Monta Ellis - Got up really high on an attempted dunk, but there really was nothing else to see here. He's probably a better shooter than he showed tonight, but again, he has a severe case of tweeneritis. If he were to go to college and hone his PG skills under Rick Stansbury for a couple of seasons, we might have an NBA prospect on our hands. Not right now, not even close.

Eric Boateng - Didn't do much, but showed off a very nice body. Unlike most of the taller, more athletic bigs we see in these types of games, Boateng seems to have a very developed upper body. Was able to compete in the paint as well.

I really didn't see anything out of anybody else that really deserves mention. Once again, Tasmin Mitchell showed some skill, but looks to have a severely limited upside, even in college.

Jonathan Watters

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jonathan will be with us after this years draft is over. He is good. He posted this in the draft forum. If he says we cannot post this in Draft Buzz, I will respect his wishes. Do not know if his articles to DraftCity are exclusive.

·
Premium Member
100,010 Posts
truebluefan said:
Jonathan will be with us after this years draft is over. He is good. He posted this in the draft forum. If he says we cannot post this in Draft Buzz, I will respect his wishes. Do not know if his articles to DraftCity are exclusive.
Jonathan has recently left DraftCity as well following Jonathan Givony being terminated.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hobojoe said:
Jonathan has recently left DraftCity as well following Jonathan Givony being terminated.
i know that. Last I heard he was coming over with us, but it may have changed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts