Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Hoopsworld.com.......

Could the answer to the Blazer questions be Arvydas Sabonis? All predictions in The Blazers Report change if Arvydas Sabonis makes a comeback. It is clear that Arvydas is making a comeback in Europe or with Portland (forget the LA rumors, garbage, and LA knows garbage). Arvydas has made strong comebacks before when he counted as retired, but was much younger at the time. Arvydas’ potential comeback would certainly explain the quiet surrounding Dale Davis and the Blazers choosing a center between Boumtje 2x and Jennings. It would also explain the Blazers lack of free agent interest in players like Keon Clark and Jeff McInnis as the roster room shrinks with the addition of Sabonis.

Arvydas should be heading to Portland within the next few days to talk with Bob Whitsitt and take a physical at Blazer facilities. The Blazers will renew their contract offers to Sabonis, offering him another chance to complete his ultimate goal, a NBA championship. With a renewed health, a renewed vigor, a maturing Rasheed and Bonzi, Sabonis knows he could be, once again, the missing piece. Look for the Blazers to be making a strong push for Sabonis to come back to the United States. I personally do not buy his allure to playing in Europe, he wants a NBA championship and if he makes a comeback it will be in Portland. I know put the chances at 30% that Sabonis makes a return to Portland, it would definitely explain a lot about the Blazers unique offseason.

·
Moderator/Head Decepticon
7,624 Posts
That would be awesome, then Davis and Stoudamire can be packaged for away for something, and sign McInnis to start at point....

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
I wouldn't want to see Sabonis back in action. He slowed down the Blazers offense too much. You have Wallace sprinting down the floor and then you have Sabonis basically walking. He did bring some "chemistry" to the team, or at least that what they said. I don't think Sabonis wants to come back either. It sounds like he is having fun over in Europe. I don't think the Blazers should trade people away if he comes back. He isn't going to be able to play very much longer and he isn't going to give you a lot of minutes.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, he may have slowed down the offense alittle, but isnt a center, no matter if he does slow down the offense, what Portland is looking for?

Plus i dont think he'd do any worse than Davis defending Shaq. All he'd do is study Divac's moves ibn the playoffs top defend him better.

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Well I guess you could use him for fouling. He is a big body. Shaq would beat him down the court tho and Divac would waste him down the court. I still see no point to really bringing Sabonis back.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Sabonis wouldn't be great, but he'd be an upgrade over Dale Davis...the Blazers are clearly not worried about the salary cap...I say just pay whatever he's asking and bring him over here if he shows interest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts