Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what point does Jason Kidd wear out his welcome and good will with the fans? Or as a fan, are you willing to live with all of the negative :cthread: that comes along with an unhappy Kidd because he gives the team the best chance to win?

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
cpawfan said:
At what point does Jason Kidd wear out his welcome and good will with the fans? Or as a fan, are you willing to live with all of the negative :cthread: that comes along with an unhappy Kidd because he gives the team the best chance to win?

When Kidd begins to dog it and demands a trade publicly. Besides that he will always be one of the most beloved Nets of all time.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
KingofNewark said:
When Kidd begins to dog it and demands a trade publicly. Besides that he will always be one of the most beloved Nets of all time.
Pretty much how I see it. He can be a pain in the *** sometimes, but until the product on the floor is clearly suffering because of his attitude, I can deal.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
The media plays a huge role in all the crap that has happened. Mostly they are there to create controversy(ala Jim Gray for ABC) With that said, Kidd has become really more pronounced with his feelings after the beating. He was very cliche back in Dallas and Phoenix, never really letting people in. Mostly a byproduct of his training back in high school. His high school head coach would help him practice interviews back then. I think ever since he's been in Jersey, he's said what he feels..up to maybe this season. It caught up with him, his private trade demand, then his reasoning that he wants to stay because, nothing is a guarantee. You utter something so profound, that it will stick with you for a long, long time. I swore in my Sunday School class once, and boy it came up again recently....5 years later. So what Kidd says is like gold...even to the fans, especially if it's a trade demand or his willingness to stay. Has he been an ***? Certainly, but his play speaks for itself, and I think if he starts to dog it, then that is enough reason to say screw you. But all the stuff you hear is how the media portrays him, I would be upset if KMart and Kittles were dumped, after 3 straight division championships. You know you can be upset like Carter...or upset like Kidd, I'd rather have Kidd because he's still laying it on the line.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Gee, is it at all possible that the same things that are pissing off Kidd are pissing off every Nets fan out there?

If there was some new incident, some new comment, it would be worth a more detailed response, but as of right now, unless he demands a trade, he is doing no more griping than any of us...and for the same reasons.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
NetIncome said:
Gee, is it at all possible that the same things that are pissing off Kidd are pissing off every Nets fan out there?

If there was some new incident, some new comment, it would be worth a more detailed response, but as of right now, unless he demands a trade, he is doing no more griping than any of us...and for the same reasons.
...we all just want to win.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Kidd Karma said:
...we all just want to win.
And entertained. I was entertained by our former product, and although it hurt, it was still fun watching them in the finals.

-Petey

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Petey said:
And entertained. I was entertained by our former product, and although it hurt, it was still fun watching them in the finals.

-Petey
...hey that's all you want is a chance, an opportunity and since you've tasted it, you want another shot. you get greedy.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Kidd Karma said:
The media plays a huge role in all the crap that has happened. Mostly they are there to create controversy(ala Jim Gray for ABC) With that said, Kidd has become really more pronounced with his feelings after the beating. He was very cliche back in Dallas and Phoenix, never really letting people in. Mostly a byproduct of his training back in high school. His high school head coach would help him practice interviews back then. I think ever since he's been in Jersey, he's said what he feels..up to maybe this season. It caught up with him, his private trade demand, then his reasoning that he wants to stay because, nothing is a guarantee. You utter something so profound, that it will stick with you for a long, long time. I swore in my Sunday School class once, and boy it came up again recently....5 years later. So what Kidd says is like gold...even to the fans, especially if it's a trade demand or his willingness to stay. Has he been an ***? Certainly, but his play speaks for itself, and I think if he starts to dog it, then that is enough reason to say screw you. But all the stuff you hear is how the media portrays him, I would be upset if KMart and Kittles were dumped, after 3 straight division championships. You know you can be upset like Carter...or upset like Kidd, I'd rather have Kidd because he's still laying it on the line.
Not only do I agree w/ your post in general, I commend you for swearing in Sunday School class.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
He's so good on the court, that none of it really bothers me in the least. I don't even care all that much if w/ this crappy team he isn't always giving his all, as some have speculated. Because when we get some more players in here, I feel very confident that his indomnitable will to win will return w/ a vengance. W/ JKidd on the court, you know your team is gonna make the right decisions at all times, and the ball is going to be spread around just right, and in general there aren't going to be on court chemistry problems. He knows just how and when to get the ball to everyone in a place where they can make something good happen. When I watch the Stevie Franchises and Marburys of the NBA, I thank the good holy lord above (who I don't believe in) for Jason Kidd. Then add in his leadership of the team defensive effort, and I can't think of anyone else I'd rather have at the helm of the team I root for.

·
Registered
428 Posts
SeaNet said:
He's so good on the court, that none of it really bothers me in the least. I don't even care all that much if w/ this crappy team he isn't always giving his all, as some have speculated. Because when we get some more players in here, I feel very confident that his indomnitable will to win will return w/ a vengance. W/ JKidd on the court, you know your team is gonna make the right decisions at all times, and the ball is going to be spread around just right, and in general there aren't going to be on court chemistry problems. He knows just how and when to get the ball to everyone in a place where they can make something good happen. When I watch the Stevie Franchises and Marburys of the NBA, I thank the good holy lord above (who I don't believe in) for Jason Kidd. Then add in his leadership of the team defensive effort, and I can't think of anyone else I'd rather have at the helm of the team I root for.
Terrific post. Captures my feelings exactly.

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
Him making comments here and there doesn't bother me, cause a lot of times it is taken the wrong way or is just venting frustration about this team. And with what he's done for this team and where we'd be without him...it'll take a lot for me to give up on him. Like others said, if he gives up on the team on the court, then I'll have a problem.

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SeaNet said:
When Kidd first arrived, he had an amazing impact on the rest of the team. Can he duplicate that? Will he ever be able to get the whole team marching to the same beat again?

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
cpawfan said:
When Kidd first arrived, he had an amazing impact on the rest of the team. Can he duplicate that? Will he ever be able to get the whole team marching to the same beat again?
I believe so, but I understand and respect why and that you are skeptical of it.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Being that Kidd is my favorite player, it would take A LOT of negativity to make me get annoyed. But I think the reason that everyone puts up w/ it (aside from the obvious point, winning) is that he the exact opposite of that on the court. No complaining, no showing off, never jacking up 35 bad shots a game. Because he helps his teammates so well on the court, his off the court "sideshow" is at least a little bit easier to deal with. When he stops passing the ball, hitting the boards, and playing great help-D is when we REALLY have a problem.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
SeaNet said:

That post has got me really excited for the offseason, and starting fresh with some more talent in October. I can't wait to see Kidd if he is inspired again. Like cpaw, though, I do wonder about the respect level in the lockerroom vs. previous years. I always go back to the Scalabrine interview when he was just gushing about Kidd, and I wonder if the new guys are the same way.

Found the Veal interview (from April 3, 2004): http://wfan.com/breaknewsaudio/local_audioclip_094035257.html
The gushing starts around 3:30 in.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
schub said:
That post has got me really excited for the offseason, and starting fresh with some more talent in October. I can't wait to see Kidd if he is inspired again. Like cpaw, though, I do wonder about the respect level in the lockerroom vs. previous years. I always go back to the Scalabrine interview when he was just gushing about Kidd, and I wonder if the new guys are the same way.

Found the Veal interview (from April 3, 2004): http://wfan.com/breaknewsaudio/local_audioclip_094035257.html
The gushing starts around 3:30 in.
Great interview. Fun to go back in time w/ Veal, and whose always entertaining. Veal also sheds some light on the natures of both Frank and Kidd.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Drew said:
Being that Kidd is my favorite player, it would take A LOT of negativity to make me get annoyed. But I think the reason that everyone puts up w/ it (aside from the obvious point, winning) is that he the exact opposite of that on the court. No complaining, no showing off, never jacking up 35 bad shots a game. Because he helps his teammates so well on the court, his off the court "sideshow" is at least a little bit easier to deal with. When he stops passing the ball, hitting the boards, and playing great help-D is when we REALLY have a problem.
Yeah, it's shocking how different he is on the court, than off the court.

-Petey

1 - 19 of 19 Posts