Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Palindrome
Joined
·
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Being an old friend of Bob Koester (and Julie Isphording) I usually cheer for the Xites in these situations but I've just got to go with the Rams right now, Blue Dog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,245 Posts
AOXOMOXOA said:
Being an old friend of Bob Koester (and Julie Isphording) I usually cheer for the Xites in these situations but I've just got to go with the Rams right now, Blue Dog.
Ha Ha that brings back memories AOX. Koester the Molester, our all time favorite walk-on!

Julie does some kind of a health fitness radio show on WVXU I believe, I hear her every once in a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
Blue Dog said:
Ha Ha that brings back memories AOX. Koester the Molester, our all time favorite walk-on!

Dunk 55 was absolutely a scholly player. Big *** Blue Cadilac, Bad post game, Really Nice Guy. Played pick up a few times with Bob at X and boy does it show you just how good D-1 players are. Athough he never saw the court at X behind Tyronne Hill, Derek Strong etc...he was freaking unstopable playing in an open gym against some pretty decent former high school players. Just a whole 'nother level.

Thanks for the flashback AOX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,245 Posts
Sorry to call Bob a walk-on, I really thought he was. When he was on the court the game was in the bag and we were all feeling great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
I have to go with the one of the Philly schools. However, any of the four teams would be deserving to go win 4 nights in a row. Good luck to each team.
 

·
Palindrome
Joined
·
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
xu1990 said:
Played pick up a few times with Bob at X and boy does it show you just how good D-1 players are. Athough he never saw the court at X behind Tyronne Hill, Derek Strong etc...he was freaking unstopable playing in an open gym against some pretty decent former high school players. Just a whole 'nother level.

Thanks for the flashback AOX
You're right there, xu1990. It always annoys me to hear some fans call D-1 players bums or scrubs when they have never been on the court with them. They'll learn real fast what it means to "have game" if that happens. I played in an adult rec league about a dozen years ago and a loud mouthed guy originally from inner city Philly was singing my praises after my team beat his one night, because after all, he was "from Philly, so [he] knows what game is." I told him the only reason he thought I was good was because he stunk so bad (and he was the best on his team). And I still remember my thoughts the first time I went to the gym for a pick-up game as a freshman at Duquesne and played with the scholarship guys, "It wasn't like this in high school."

Another fun thing was to watch the reaction of some 20-something local guys at a very competitive outdoor court in Pittsburgh when 50-something year old Bob Koester Sr. would show up to play. Guys that didn't know Bob Sr. would give him s*** for wanting to play, that is until he would dunk on their sorry a****. A whole 'nother level is right. Anyone capable of landing a scholarship, or making a team as a walk-on, gets my respect.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top