Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not impressed with joel whatsoever. last season he was a beast on the boards, now this season nothing. and also he isn't scoring at all. if the blazers were going to not resign him, it would not be a loss at all I think. unless he starts putting up at least double digit boards, he isn't worth keeping. we already have a center who can't score, shoot, rebound or pretty much anything, why have 2?

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
It's pretty simple Joel isin't gonna be getting as many boards,points with z-bo in.Z-bo gobbels up any rebounds he can get Darius does it a little too.I don't have a problem with his play because of that reason.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Zidane said:
It's pretty simple Joel isin't gonna be getting as many boards,points with z-bo in.Z-bo gobbels up any rebounds he can get Darius does it a little too.I don't have a problem with his play because of that reason.
That's what I thought a few days ago, Zidane, but in the last few games, the Blazers have been beaten on the boards by opponents. In at least one games they won (Chicago), they lost the battle of the boards. I'm not saying "Joel isn't worth keeping" by any stretch, but I think McMillan, or the assistant he has working with the bigs (Maurice?) has some work to do.

Przybilla has it in him, so does Ratliff, as do Randolph, Miles, etc. So there's no excuse for the Blazers to be giving up second-chance points and not getting more second chances of their own.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
tradetheo said:
I am not impressed with joel whatsoever. last season he was a beast on the boards, now this season nothing. and also he isn't scoring at all. if the blazers were going to not resign him, it would not be a loss at all I think. unless he starts putting up at least double digit boards, he isn't worth keeping. we already have a center who can't score, shoot, rebound or pretty much anything, why have 2?
yah, we should get rid of joel after this pathetic 8 game season of his.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
tradetheo said:
I think a lot of us had high hopes for Joel this year. He's averaging 2 blocks per game, but 5 of those were in that blowout loss to Denver against their scrubs. He just doesn't seem as aggressive. There are a couple excuses though. Last year, our perimeter defensive play was terrible. The other teams perimeter players were getting to the basket at will, and that gave Joel a ton of block shot opportunities. Also, Zach is back and pulling down some of the defensive rebounds and offensive rebounds/put backs that Joel might have got. Maybe we got a little too crazy about this guy. I still like him on our team. Theo could get hurt at any minute and if nothing else, JP is an adequate fill-in. It seemed like after the 2nd half of last season though, Blazer fans were pegging this guy as a blosseming 12/10 guy. I was thinking that might happen as well. I'm not ready to say he was a one hit wonder. But he's going to have to play more than 20 minutes a game to put up the kind of numbers he did last year, and Nate's not going to give him more minutes until he starts asserting himself.

·
Registered
854 Posts
we lost to a good team and already some people are predicting a 0-7 road trip for portland what do you blazer maniacs think about that?

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
For whatever reason, Joel took a while to get up to speed last year, too. Until sometime in December, I cursed the TV screen every time put Mo put him in the game. I think the phrase I used was, "waste of a set of lungs." He became a highlight of the season after that, so I'm reserving judgement on him for a while longer this year.

Dan

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
knicksfan89 said:
we lost to a good team and already some people are predicting a 0-7 road trip for portland what do you blazer maniacs think about that?
if you meant 'we lost to a good team" as in the "blazers lost to the Knicks", you are mistaken. the Knicks aren't a good team. And if the Blazers can't beat a team thats missing Curry for half the game, Richardson for the WHOLE game..and aren't that good to begin with, it doesn't bode well for the rest of the trip, which outside of Atlanta and maybe Orlando, isn't easy.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Silly, silly, silly.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
I think the Worst Case scenario could be a best case scenario. We end up retaining a 26 Year Old 7'1" guy who can block shots for 3-4 mil a season. Honestly even tough h hasn't looked like Joel of last year All you have to do is look around the NBA and look at the starting centers to realize he isn't as bad as we may be projecting here.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
BlazerFanFoLife said:
when joel was killing werent we playing without ratlif and randolf? i also know that reef was out part of the time.
When Joel was killing the team was losing. Not saying that had anything to do with Joel, but in that stretch the coach was basically rolling the ball out there and saying "play". Joel I think was teh benefactor of a free flowing open game that allowed him opportunities to get the ball going to the rim. THis season he has been forced to try and work in the post, something he hasn't looked good at at all.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I think the funniest thing about this post is...He says Joel isnt worth keeping, and his name is TRADETHEO...

Can we at least keep one of our centers? Oh wait...we have Ha! HAHAHA :banana:

·
Registered
568 Posts
ptownblazer1 said:
I think the funniest thing about this post is...He says Joel isnt worth keeping, and his name is TRADETHEO...

Can we at least keep one of our centers? Oh wait...we have Ha! HAHAHA :banana:

Ha....that's great!

Seriously.....TradeTheo....you make some of the most reactionary posts I've ever seen....and you carry things so far one way or the other. Is there no gray area? Is a player "not worth keeping" if he isn't an all star?

And this isn't meant in any way personally. Its just a general observation about your posting style.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
fact is we need a center who can score. since 89-90, we have had 2 centers who were scoring centers. sabas and duckworth. does it say anything that both those times are the last times we went to the nba finals or even the wcf's. without scoring down there, a center isn't worth keeping.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Both our centers can score at will when given the ball and asked to do so.

While they are occasionally asked to do so, they have never been given the ball.

Whenever we throw the ball inside it's to one of our forwards.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
tradetheo said:
fact is we need a center who can score. since 89-90, we have had 2 centers who were scoring centers. sabas and duckworth. does it say anything that both those times are the last times we went to the nba finals or even the wcf's. without scoring down there, a center isn't worth keeping.
I don't know about that. Detroit wins with Ben Wallace, and he's never averaged 10 ppg his whole career. I think you need to have a post pressence offensively, but it doesn't have to come from your Center. Z-Bo can score in blocks, if Joel could just add a 15 foot shot to his repetoire . . .
to keep defenses honest, that would be fine. He'll never have range like Sabas obviously, but he could find a mid-range shot and that would really help his game.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
kaydow said:
I don't know about that. Detroit wins with Ben Wallace, and he's never averaged 10 ppg his whole career. I think you need to have a post pressence offensively, but it doesn't have to come from your Center. Z-Bo can score in blocks, if Joel could just add a 15 foot shot to his repetoire . . .
to keep defenses honest, that would be fine. He'll never have range like Sabas obviously, but he could find a mid-range shot and that would really help his game.
when in big games, ben wallace will get you a 20 point game . but ben also pulls down like 15 boards and plays shutdown defense.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
tradetheo said:
when in big games, ben wallace will get you a 20 point game . but ben also pulls down like 15 boards and plays shutdown defense.
well shoot, we should just trade for a guy who will get us 20 points, pull down 15 boards and plays shut down defense. I mean, it has to be easy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts