Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

241 - 260 of 330 Posts

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #241 (Edited)
Originally posted by <b>Yyzlin</b>!
Wanted to hear your own thoughts on this. Added some additional ones as well.
------------------------------------------

Velvet Underground or Sonic Youth?

VU. I like the sonic experiments of Sonic Youth, but the noise gets grating after a while. Lou Reed is one of my favorite songwriters -- see my review of his solo Rock and Roll Animal album.

Talking Heads or Van Halen?

Talking Heads. A very early influence on my musical development. I used to listen to The Name of This Band is Talking Heads (again, see review) on a daily basis. They helped me overcome my prejudice against non-classic rock artists in the early 1980's. Van Halen was a great party band and EVH a great guitarist, but they didn't really influence me.

Led Zeppelin or The Beatles?

Beatles. As Minstrel points out, this is a tough one. But the musical diversity and incredible songwriting of The Beatles wins out. Against 99% of other bands, Zep would win. I play guitar and Page is a huge influence on me.

Pink Floyd or U2?

Floyd. I appreciate U2, especially Boy, October, War, Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree. But gimme a pair of headphones and let me veg to The Floyd.

Rolling Stones or Public Enemy ?

Stones. PE is my alltime favorite rap group, but I'm a classic rock guy at heart. Also, 30+ years together counts for something, and the Stones are the most responsible for introducing blues to the rock world.

Marvin Gaye or Bob Marley?

Bob. Gaye is the better singer and a fine songwriter in his own right, but Marley is king. I listen to Bob Marley all the time. I listen to Marvin when he comes on the radio.

The Bee-Gees or KC and the Sunshine Band?

Bee-Gees. As someone who was in junior high at the height of the disco craze, the Bee-Gees were an important part of my youth. KC has some fun dance numbers, but I actually know the words to almost all of the Bee-Gees hits. Even the ballads.

Slick Rick or Big Daddy Kane?

Big Daddy Kane. He was another rap guy I liked back when suburban white kids didn't like rap.

The Allman Brothers Band or Lynyrd Skynyrd?

This is one where Minstrel and I differ greatly. AB all the way. Their mix of country, rock, jazz and blues cannot be matched. Best jam band ever, after the Dead. Skynyrd is a goodtime rowdy southern band, but Dickey Betts, Duane Allman (and now Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks) play some sweet, sweet guitar.

Jackson 5 Or Smokey Robinson & the Miracles?

J5 is fun to dance to, but you gotta give props to The Smoke. Perhaps the finest male singer in R&B.

Mahalia Jackson or Mavis Staples?

Mavis Staples of the Staples Singers bridges the gap between gospel and rock. Respect Yourself is one of the greatest tunes of the early 70's. But for sheer pipes, you have to go with Mahalia Jackson, the Queen of gospel. check her out sometime.[/b]

Jeff Beck or Steve Vai?

Jeff Beck. From his days with The Yardbirds (Heart Full of Soul, Over Under sideways Down) to the first Jeff Beck Group (Shapes of Things, Morning Dew, Beck's Bolero -- with Jimmy Page) through his jazz fusion days (Blow by Blow and Wired are 2 of my favorite albums -- see review) through his modern era, he is the shiznit. Vai has a big bag of impressive guitar tricks, but his music rarely moves me.

Triumph or Billy Squier?

Tough one for me, since I liked both in high school. I'm going with Squier, since at the time I loved his Don't Say No album. Once again, see review.

B.B. King or Buddy Guy?

BB King. Again, see reviews of his live albums. Buddy is cool and all, and he has a club here in Chicago, but his touch is a little too aggressive for my taste in blues. BB has that sweet singing touch and instantly recognizable vibrato.

King Crimson or Rush?

Like Sonic youth, I like King Crimson for their experimentalism, but would never listen to them all day. Recently I spent the day listening to Rush live albums back-to-back-to-back. As you may have guessed, my wife was out of the house.

William Hung or William Shatner?

Shatner. "Picture yourself...on a BOAT on a RIVER..." Priceless

Wilco or Uncle Tupulo?

Props to Uncle Tupelo for singlehandedly ushering in the era of alt.country. But I find myself listening to Wilco a lot more. I am also a fan of Jay Farrar and Son Volt.

Allan Holdsworth or Adrian Belew?

Holdsworth has amazing chops. Lightning fast, king of the synth. Belew, with his solo stuff, is amusing, but his thin voice is a bit annoying. But for his backup work with Talking Heads and King Crimson, I give the not to Adrian.

Robert Randolph and the Family Band or Poi Dog Pondering?

I love both bands, but I have to go with Poi Dog. I've seen them numerous times. Great songwriting

The Neville Brothers or The Meters?

Overall, The Meters. More consistently funky. The Nevilles sometimes get too bogged down with Aaron's ballads. I will say that Yellow Moon by the Nevilles is my favorite song of that whole New Orleans funk genre.

Bonnie Raitt or Blondie?

I appreciate Bonnie more than Minsterl does, but as an early 80's New Wave/Punk fan, Blondie. Blondie, Parallel Lines and Eat to the Beat are great albums.
Van Morrison or Santana?

Phish or Grateful Dead?

The Dead, of course. I don't have a Terripan Station Dancing turtles tattoo on my calf for nothing...Trey is a great guitar player, though. My biggest criticism of Phish is that their songs tended too often to be arrangement heavy, leaving little room for a hummable melody.

Echo & the Bunnymen or Psychedelic Furs?

Two favorites. I'll go Echo, for All That Jazz and Killing Moon. Also because Minstrel chose the Furs.

G.G. Allin or Laurie Anderson?

Anderson. A compelling performance artist. Terrific visuals in her multimedia presentations. Performed This is the Picture (Excellent Birds) with Peter Gabriel. Unlike Allin, never coated herself with feces onstage.

John Coltrane or Miles Davis?

Tempted to go with Trane, for songs like Giant Steps, My Favorite Things, Naomi. The incredible A Love Supreme Album.

But I'm going with Miles. I have tried, but couldn't get into *****'s Brew, but In a Silent Way, Sketches of Spain, Kind of Blue -- these are albums you can hear over and over. True beauty in music.

John Lennon or R.E.M.?

Lennon. If he never did anything solo other than John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band, that would be enough. Its the musical equivelant of "You had me at hello"

Grandmaster Flash(and Melle Mel) with and without the Furious 5 or Run D.M.C.?

All due respect to the old school, and I was on board with The Message, White Lines and all that early stuff. But I'm saying Run D.M.C. Because they were rock. And not just the Walk This Way Thing. My Adidas. Mary, Mary. King of Rock.

Its Tricky to Rock a Rhyme to Rock a Rhyme that's Right on Time. ITs Tricky.

The Orb or Hawkwind?

Hawkwind is Pink Floyd's lesser known little brother. Like Clint Howard. And its where Lemmy got his start. But Little Fluffy Clouds is my alltime favorite stoner song. Orb.

The Mekons or The Ramones?

Gabba Gabba We Accept You We Accept You One Of Us.

The Sex Pistols or The Cure?

Cure. Sex Pistols had a string of awesome singles, put together on one great album, but they self sestructed before they could take off, and the Malcolm McLaren svengali thing is a negative. The fact that no pistol has been really relevant since 1978 (PIL? come on...overrrated) confirms their suspect status.

On the other hand, The Cure has maintained their artistic credibility for close to 2 decades. Robert Smith managed to make his mark with Siouxie Sioux, and his this own band. There is no band that quite sounds like the Cure.

Frank Zappa or Yes?

Tough for me because I like them for different reasons. I'm a huge fan of The Yes Album, Fragile and Close to the Edge. I'll go with Zappa, though, for his infinitely less pompous attitude while producing musically complex compositions. And for writing Don't Eat the Yellow Snow.

Widespread Panic or String Cheese Incident?

Widespread. One of the great jam bands. Love Tractor. Tallboy. Airplane. Hope in a Hopeless World. Their albums with Dirty Dozen Brass Band.

Peter Gabriel-era Genesis or Peter Gabriel solo?

Solo. I like old Genesis, but it often tended to meander. Peter's solo albums are more focused. My favorite is his third self-titled work -- the melting face cover. Biko, Games without Frontiers, Not One of Us, No Self Control.

Bon Scott-era AC/DC or Brian Johnson AC/DC?

Back in Black is the band's most front to back essential album, but the high points of the Scott era can't be ignored. Scott gets the not for naughty, junior high gutter humor attitude.

...But we've got the biggest balls of them all...
:devil2:

Ted Nugent or Blue Oyster Cult?

I love Terrible Ted, the Motor City Madman. But BOC was one of the first bands I saw in concert, and I love the sci fi lyrics. Godzilla, Cities on Flame, Don't Fear the Reaper, Veterans of the Psychic War, Burning for You, Joan Crawford (is Risen From the Grave), ETI (Extraterrestrial Intelligence), Black Blade.

Black Sabbath or Pantera?

Sabbath. As I've said before, like some remember where they were when the Kennedy Assasination was announced, I remember where I was when a dj announced that Ozzy was leaving Black Sabbath.

Depeche Mode or Ministry?

I like Depeche Mode, but Ministry gets my vote. Partly sentimental -- I remember going to seedy allnight "juice bars" (presdecesors to "raves") where industrial music reigned in the mid to late 80's. We danced to Revolting ****s, KFDFM, and especially Ministry -- All Day, Everyday is Halloween. I like later, metal oriented Ministry as well -- Jesus Built my Hotrod, Stigmata, etc.

Peter Tosh or Jimmy Cliff?

Another toughy. I will say Jimmy Cliff, since Sitting in Limbo is one of my favorite songs of all time. But its a close one.

Husker Du or The Replacements?

Husker Du. One of my favorite bands ever. Ice Cold Ice, never Talking to You Again, Celebrated Summer, Makes No Sense At All, Turn on the News, New Day Rising, Flip Your Wig, Diane. Great band. The 'Mats are favorites of mine as well, though./b]

Soundtrack to Superfly or Soundtrack to Shaft?

Minstrel makes some compelling points -- Freddy's Dead, and all. But I'm going with the Hot Buttered sound of Shaft. He's on e Baaad Mothershut your mouthI'm just talking about Shaftthen we can dig it

Woodstock or Monterey Pop?

Both had stellar Hendrix moments. Both had stellar Who moments. I'll go with Woodstock for the awesome Santana showcase, plus the coming out party for CSN (and sometimes Y).

Kate Bush or Allison Moyet?

Moyet has a better voice -- I love her smoky vocals, both solo and her former band, Yaz -- but Kate Bush is a megastar who got too little attention in the States. Wuthering Heights is a desert island song.

The Clash or Elvis Costello?

No disrespect to Elvis, but Lester Bangs never called him "The Only Band that Matters."

Bob Dylan or Woodie Guthrie?

Woodie is one of the most significant players in the history of the development of popular music. But so is Bob. And while there would be no Bob without Woodie (see Dylan's Song for Woodie, from his first album) I'll go with Bob. Too many songs to name -- Tangled Up in Blue, Visions of Johanna, I'll be You Baby Tonight, It Ain't Me Babe, Ballad of a Thin Man, Mr. Tamborine Man, and a hundred more.

Good Charlotte or root canal surgery?

root canal surgery. even on a healthy tooth. I hate "pop punk." posers.

The Kinks or The Minutemen?

d. boon and Mike Watt forgive me, but anyone who knows me knows I'm a nut for the Kinks. Check out there underrated late 70's albums, like Sleepwalker and Misfits. Celluloid Heroes. Lola. Apeman. Waterloo Sunset. Suzannah's Still Alive. 20th Century Man.

Pearl Jam or Oasis?

What's the Story is a great album. I'll say Pearl Jam, because they have a bigger body of really great work. Especially the first three albums.

Radiohead or Jimi Hendrix?

My graffiti tag was always Jimi Lives. I had a Hendrix "shrine" in my dorm room. To me, Radiohead is somewhat overrated. No contest here.

Jethro Tull or Renaissance?

Tull. I wish the live acoustic A Little Light Music was in print and available on CD.

Deep Purple or Steely Dan?

Steely Dan. I love the quirky pseudo jazz stylings. I get my Purple jones every now and again (BLack Night, Highway Star, Strange Kind of Woman, Woman from Tokyo, Smoke on the Water) but too frequent organ solos ruin the moment.

Metallica or Slayer?

Metallica. Kerry King would kick my *** for saying it, but Slayer doesn't do much for me.

David Bowie or Brian Eno?

I chill to Eno -- Music for Airports is a personal favorite. But despite the occasional lapse in judgment, I'll give the nod to Bowie. One of the better concerts I'ce seen.

Alice Cooper or Captain Beefheart?

Beefheart. Alice has some songs that remind me of my junior high days -- I'm 18, School's Out -- but The Captain is a one of a kind original. Safe as Milk. Shiny Beat (Bat Chain Puller).

Mike Oldfield or Tangerine Dream?

What do I know of Oldfield outside of Tubular Bells? Tangerine Dream is great Chill music. Plus they did the Risky Business soundtrack.

Budgie or Nazareth?

Now you're messing with a...a Son of a BEEEEATCH

Cream or The Doors?

The Doors. I was a huge Doors freak in HS.

Joe Satriani or Yngwie Malmsteen?

Satriani, by far. I've never cared for Yngwie.

The Police or The Talking Heads?

toughy. Talking Heads, for overall body of work. I have to admit though, that while both were among my favorite bands in their prime, both became annoying by the time they self destructed.

Elton John or ABBA?

Elton John. ABBA had some sugary saweet goodness singles, but despite some schmaltz at certain times in his career, John deserves some kudos. A great concert I enjoyed. Go beyond the singles and you will find some great, overlooked album tracks. Prior to Princess Di and the Australian Concert, you never heard Candle in the Wind. I used to play that song for girls when I was in college and they were always blown away. For his rock side, check out Ballad of a Well Known Gun, from Rock of the Westies -- it is somewhat similar in tone to Take Me to the Pilot. The man could rock, when he wanted.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Two favorites. I'll go Echo, for All That Jazz and Killing Moon. Also because Minstrel chose the Furs.
Actually, I picked Echo, and his merry band of Bunnymen. But it doesn't really count as a "choice," since I'm not familiar with the Furs.

But your faulty memory led you to select the same group I did. Tough on you.

Anderson. A compelling performance artist. Terrific visuals in her multimedia presentations. Performed This is the Picture (Excellent Birds) with Peter Gabriel. Unlike Allin, never coated herself with feces onstage.
Isn't never having coated herself with feces a mark against her in comparison to Allin? Ah well. You and I are very different people. ;)

Wuthering Heights is a desert island song.
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who considers that a really, really, excellent pop song.

My question is, as a lawyer, what law or part of The Law do you consider most unjust/unreasonable and how would you change it?

·
36,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Originally posted by <b>Minstrel</b>!
My question is, as a lawyer, what law or part of The Law do you consider most unjust/unreasonable and how would you change it?
Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The Second Amendment is one of the most poorly drafted sections of the Constitution. The goal of securing a "well-regulated militia" has led to our unfortunate culture of Charles Bronson wannabies and their "pry my assault rifle from my cold, dead hands" bumper stickers.

Statistics on gum violence are notoriously skewed, depending on the agenda of the pollster. But I would like to see a reliable comparison between burglaries prevented by a homeowner's gun and children injured or killed by the handgun intended to thwart a (highly unlikely) home invasion. I bet the cost/benefit is unbelievablly low. Factor in acts of domestic violence with handguns, and I have no doubt that the number of innocents injured or killed outweighs the number of people saved from home invasion by a hundredfold -- or a thousandfold -- or more.

What to do? I don't know. The odds of getting one of the Bill of Rights repealed is nil. Best I can do is support every limit on the availability of weapons that arises.

If we outlaw guns, only outlaws will own guns? Well, if we had outlawed guns in the first place, not so many outlaws would have them.

What to do now? I guess I'd support making ownership of a handgun a felony and support the death penalty for any crime committed with a firearm. Perhaps that would be a disincentive.

·
Registered
636 Posts
What college major would you suggest for someone interested in law school?

What are the most valuable things you learned in college (knowledge/skill/something about yourself/anything)?

·
36,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #245 (Edited)
I majored in history and political science, which are both fairly common majors for prospective law students. Liberal Arts majors like that prepare you to do a lot of reading and a lot of writing, which are essential skills.

However, if I were you, I'd take Liberal Arts courses as minors or electives, and get a business degree or a science degree. An attorney with a specialized background is very valuable.

The more well-rounded you are, the better off you are. This is true, in general, but especially so for a lawyer.

I am a litigator -- I take cases to trial. One of the attributes that makes me fairly good at that is an ability to relate to a wide variety of people. I feel I can talk to just about anyone about just about anything, because I have always been a curious person, and like to learn at least a little about a wide variety of things.

So I can get into discussions with Minstrel about the intersection of physics and metaphysics. I can go on EBB and BS about cars. I can talk about books, or music, or movies, or sports, or politics.

I get along with iron workers as well as I do doctors. Sometimes better. Interestingly, none of my close friends are lawyers.

As to lessons learned in college, well -- lets see.

I learned that I am apparently not destined to die of alcohol poisoning, because on many occassions, I gave it my best shot.

I learned that the best way to make friends is to be interested in other people and to be more interested in finding out who they are and what they have to say than in spouting off about yourself. And treating people with respect earns you respect.

I learned that putting off projects until the last minute, whether it be writing a term paper or doing loads of laundry, is a lousy way to live. "The wise man does right away what the fool does finally."

I learned there is a spot just above the back of a woman's knee that, when stroked just right, will get you very far.

I learned that smoking on CTA elevated trains can get a guy arrested.

I learned that having your school get to the Sweet 16 after a 20+ year absence from the tourney is a really great experience (Loyola Univserity of Chicago, 1985 -- knocked out of the tourny by Pat Ewing's Georgetown). If I'd studied harder in high school, I probably would have gone to Notre Dame. Then I could have enjoyed real college sports on a more regular basis.

Once I got an apartment with some friends, I learned that women are very impressed by college guys who can keep a clean apartment and cook. I learned that I really enjoy cooking.

I also learned that those same women can have a really good time at a toga party. I never did quite learn what it is about togas that can turn an ordinary house party into something ultra-wild -- perhaps the symbol of the toga lets people give themselves permission to let it all hang out. But I do know the toga party we threw at the end of our senior year was one of the most fun blasts we ever had. My roommate Pat and I took a girl we were friends with to a fabric store and she made us togas out of this outrageous leopard print. I wore a straw panama hat I'd got over spring break in the Bahamas. We were still tanned from that trip. Under the toga, I wore this pink elephant g-string some girls had given me as a gag gift awhile before, and I spent the night flashing the elephant, while making appropriate elephant noises. Oddly enough, I didn't hook up that night. But it was still 10+ fun.

I learned that I am somewhat of a liberterian. however, my support of a strong military is often misinterpreted as staunch conservatism.

After growing up in the whitey white suburbs, I learned that it is much more interesting to have a cultural melting pot of friends.

I learned that four years isn't as long as you think it is. Or maybe I learned that later, looking back at college.

·
36,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
I generally take a 7:15 train into the city, and the 6:45 train home. On Fridays, and whenever else I can, I get the 5:30 train home. I often work half a day over the weekend, usually on Sunday.

I practice civil litiation -- lawsuits. A lot of it is automobile accident cases, or slip and falls. Some medical malpractice. Some construction injuries. For the past few years, I've worked for the defense, hired by insurance companies. I started out representing plaintiffs (the person injured) and am looking to get back into that end. Or perhaps to concentrate more on commercial litigation.

My days vary. Generally, there are several components to a lawsuit. The claims stage -- trying to settle before suit. Then there is the drafting and filing of pleadings. Then there is discovery -- gathering documents from your client and getting documents from the other side, and exchange of written questions and answers. Then there are depositions -- where you ask parties and witnesses questions, under oath. Depending on the injury, there may be treating doctors or expert doctors to depose. All through this, there are periodic court appearances to resolve disputes, or to report to a judge how the case is proceeding. Then there may be the actual trial.

What I am doing on any given day depends on what is going on with my cases at that particular time.

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
How were you able to pay for college?

I'm sure having one hell of a time trying to do so.

Did you ever consider studying anything other then law? If so, what?

(I'm sorta looking for ideas... Lately I'm beginning to think this whole radio thing is a big waste of my time and money... Contrary to what people may believe, Commercial radio is not a good place for music nuts like us.)

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Ride the Lightning or Master of Puppets

True fans will go with Ride, but Master was my introduction to the band. Master. Master.

Village Green Preservation or Arthur

Kind've companion pieces, but I'll give the nod to Village Green, for two reasons: The Village Green Preservation Society is one of my favorite Kinks songs, and Victoria is, to me, one of the most overrated Kinks songs. Shangri-La, from Arthur, is in my opinion underrated.

The Doors or Strange Days

Strange Days. The first album is more hit heavy, but I am a huge fan of the Strange Days title track, and When The Music's Over is my all-time favorite Doors song. I was a HUGE Doors freak in HS.

Freak Out or We're Only in it for the Money

I'll give the nod to Money. You can't overstate the importance of FZ and the Mothers -- the whole montage editing thing, Frank's orchestrations, the humor/complicated music dichotomy. Money gets the nod for Let's Make the Water Turn Black, Idiot ******* Son, What's the Ugliest Part of You Body, Who Needs the Peace Corps.

Ziggy Stardust or Low

Ziggy. I like the whole Eno/Germany period of Bowie, but of those albums, Low is my least favorite. And you can't beat the glam rock excess of Ziggy, Suffragate City, Rock and Roll Suicide.

Highway 61 or Blood on the Tracks

Tough call. My first reaction goes to Highway 61, but Blood on the Tracks...Tangled Up in Blue, Senor (Tales of Yankee Power), Simple Twist of Fate, Shelter From The Storm...mmmmmmm gonna go Blood. But still, Like a Rolling Stone, Ballad of a Thin Man...no, I made my choice and have to live with it. At least you didn't throw Blonde on Blonde into the mix.

No, wait...what am I talking about? Highway 61 is classic all the way through. Rolling Stone. Tombstone Blues It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry (Bruce Hornsby does a nice version), Ballad of a Thin Man, Queen Jane Approximately, Highway 61 (ever hear Johnny Winter's version?) The Dead did about 3/4 of this album regularly in concert. Jerry Garcia did a good portion of Blood on the Tracks in his solo band.

Highway.

In the Court of the Crimson King or Red

Another heartbreaker. Crimson King is classic, but you know...it kind of plods along. But Red is a sax-blowing mindbender of a nois album. Red. Personally, Discipline is my favorite King Crimson album. I love Adrian Belew.

Beggar's Banquet or Let It Bleed

Let it Bleed is one of the classic albums of all time, but Beggar's Banquet is a TB#1 Desert Island Disk. Street Fighting Man, Sympathy for the Devil, Salt of the Earth, Prodigal Son, Stray Cat...

Dark Side of the Moon or Animals

No hesitation here. Dark Side is the heavy-hitter for chart success and sales, but I'll go with Animals, any time. Pigs on the Wing, Sheep, Pigs (Three Different Ones) Dogs. An underappreciated classic.

Selling England by the Pound or The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Genesis seriously needs to do a best of the Peter Gabriel years. Of all the PG era albums, Foxtrot, with Watcher of the Skies and Supper's Ready, is probably the best. Lamb is the best known, with the title track, Carpet Cralers, In the Cage. But there is a lot of filler, to keep the concept album story going. Selling has I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe), the cool keyboard workout of Firth of Fifth and Cinema Show. Overall, I say Selling England. Nursery Crimes is also worth mulriple listens.

Tommy or Quadrophenia

Now just the opposite here. There is more filler on Tommy, but I am going with Tommy. I love Pinball Wizard, Christmas, Sally Simpson, I'm Free, See Me, Feel Me. I do love Quadrophenia, espeavially 5:15. Bellboy, The Real Me -- but Tommy.

2112 or Moving Pictures

Gack. You kill me. Moving Pictures. See my Rush reviews on the CD Recommendation Thread for discussion of both. I am also awfully fond of Permanent Waves and Signals. I love 2112 and it was a big part of my junior high experience, but when Moving Pictures was released, I became a full-on Rush freak. That first side (yeah, I still think in terms of LPs) -- Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ, Limelight --holy crap! Not that 2112 is any slouch, with the 2112 suite 1st side, then classics like Passage to Bangcock and Twilight Zone on Side 2, but Rush was still in its Zeppelin-Shadow mode at that point. By Moving Pictures, they were setting standards, instead of following them.

VU & Nico or VU

VU&Nico. Waiting for the Man, Heroin, Venus in Furs. Not the hugest Nico fan, but these are some of the best VU songs. VU is a bit soft, for them, IMO. Loaded is my favorite VU, front to back. Sweet Jane, Rock&Roll.

Another Green World or Before and After Science

I have AGW, and although I am aware of B&A, I haven't heard it all the way through. I like Eno, especially his ambient Music for Airports, etc. AGW by default.

Paranoid or Masters of Reality

No offense to Masters of Reality, but how can you not go with Paranoid? Paranoid, Iron Man, War Pigs, Faeries Wear Boots, and sludge like Electric Funeral? Masters has classics like Sweet Leaf and Children of the Grave, but come on...Actually, most of the Ozzy/Sabbath albums have something to recommend them (and none of them, including Masters and Paranoid, are front to back essential). Supernaut and Changes from Vol. 4, Black Sabbath from Black Sabbath, the title track to Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

Disco Volante or California

No idea. Sorry.

The Dreaming or Hounds of Love

Hounds by a long shot. Running Up that Hill is my second favorite KB song, behind Wuthering Heights, from her debut.

Ahh. Kate Bush. Sadly ignored in the US.

Are You Experienced or Electric Ladyland

Overall, Are You Experienced. I love the title track, which is sadly underplayed. Tough, because Experienced, Axis and Ladyland are three of my favorite albums. And there are some deep cuts on Ladyland that are sadly underplayed (like Come on, Part 1). But Are You Experienced is on that short list of Albums that Shook the World. You know?

Facelift or Dirt

Another killer choice. Dirt. Even though Man in the Box is my favorite AIC track, Dirt is a disk full of essential material, especially Rooster and Would.

Aqualung or Thick as a Brick

Aqualung. Thick is great as an edited track, but as a fullout albumlong tune, its a bit much. On the other hand, Aqualung, Locomotive Breath, Crosseyed Mary, Hymn 43, Wind Up...a masterpiece of social and religious angst.

Fragile or Close to the Edge

Once again, see my reviews.

But once again, another intersting juxtaposition -- Aqualung/Thick followed by Fragile/Close. And again I'm going to flipflop with my criteria. In this instance the long songs win, and I'm going for Close. Close to the Edge and And You and I flow into an incredible suite (and Siberian Khatru is no slouch).

Fragil has some of my favorite Yes music -- Roundabout, Long Distance Runaround, the incredible acoustic guitar workout of Mood for a Day, Heart of the Sunrise -- but also has some solo workouts that are, quite frankly, irritating. Cans and Brahms, We Have Heaven.

Whew.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I did all these, and somehow lost the whole ****ing post.

Well, here goes again...

You asked for it. BTW, I finished up the pick ems you left me.
---------------
Talking Book or Innervisions or Songs in the Key of Life

Talking Book. Maybe because it was the first SW album I ever bought

The Cars' debut or Boston's debut

If you'd asked me in HS I'd have said Boston. Now I'd say Cars. See my review.

Hendrix's Little Wing or Derek and the Dominoes's cover or SRV's cover

Anyone who knows me knows how easy this one is for me. In college, I had a Hendrix "shrine" in my dorm and my graffitti tag has always been "Jimi Lives"

In Rock or Machinehead

Machine Head, for being front to back essential, but I have to say Speed King may be my favorite Purple track

Mothership Connection or Maggot Brain

One of my finest college memories is getting with 2 other guitar players and speending an afternoon jamming a version of Maggot Brain

Leonard Cohen or Nick Drake

Not really all that jazzed about either, but I'll go with Cohen

Low End Theory or Midnight Mauraders

I like a Tribe Called Quest, but have to admit Low End is the only one I've heard

Rust In Peace or Master or Puppets

Master. Never was all that fond of Megadeth

Vivid or Time's Up

Living Color? Vivid!

Marillion's Misplaced Childhood or Genesis's Selling England by the Pound

I saw Marillion open for Rush once. Genesis by a landslide

Gretchen Goes to Nebraska or Faith Hope Love or King's X

Always been fond of Kings X (but I'd rather listen to King Missile ;)).

Skinny Puppy's Last Rights or Minstry's The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste

Skinny Puppt is righteous, but I'll go with hometown (Chicago) heroes Ministry

Purple Rain or Sign O The Times

Purple Rain takes me back to a special time (and girl.

Little Earthquakes or Under the Pink

I liked Under the Pink when it first came out, and I've heard Little Earthquakes, but I'm not that interested in Tori Amos anymore. Pink, I guess

Stand or There's A Riot Goin On
I like Happy Sly better than Angry Sly -- Stand (but I have both and they are great -- I love Family Affair from Riot

In A Glass House or Octopus

Never heard Glass house, but I do like Octopus. Gentle Giant deserves greater recognition from modern audiences

Bad Brains or I Against I

I used to have that ROIR cassette of Bad Brains and wore it out, but I have to go with I Against I

·
36,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
I have an mp3 player, but its not an iPod, and doesn't have much memory. Rarely use it.

Mostly listen to the CDs or DirecTV music stations. I still have boxes and boxes of records and tapes in the garage.

I miss my records. My record player is in the garage, but my wife insists on keeping the stereo and tv in one of those monster "armoir" cabinets, and there is no room to hook up the turntable.

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
TomBoerwinkle#1 said:
I miss my records. My record player is in the garage, but my wife insists on keeping the stereo and tv in one of those monster "armoir" cabinets, and there is no room to hook up the turntable.
Solution: Time to find another receiver and a set of speakers. Set up that sucker in the garage, or something.

Every man has to have a working record player somewhere. It's as vital as a good AM radio, or water.

241 - 260 of 330 Posts