Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gott give him some props for that. :clap:

SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 21, 2005--The Paul G. Allen Family Foundation (PGAFF) today announced its most recent round of grants to 98 nonprofit organizations throughout the Pacific Northwest. The Foundation reviews and awards grants twice per year and for the current application period, the Foundation contributed $7 million to organizations in Washington, Oregon, Alaska, Montana and Idaho.

Named one of the top 10 philanthropists in the nation, Paul Allen's lifetime giving totals more than $800 million and includes PGAFF grants and personal gifts to a wide range of nonprofit organizations in the Pacific Northwest. Over the last year alone, the Foundation has contributed more than $16 million to health and human service and arts organizations in Seattle and the Pacific Northwest. In just over a decade, the Foundation has awarded approximately $250 million to organizations that support social and community development, youth engagement and arts programs throughout the region........

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
And he gives it to people in the LOCAL community, not some place most of us will only ever see on a map.

Seems like a pretty sincere guy.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Way to go PA..:banana::banana::banana:

:clap:

·
Registered
826 Posts
Allen's charities are just a way to waste money. Those charities don't accomplish much. Allen "gives" the most back by running successfull businesses providing services and products people want.

I am all for charity. But charity is not "giving back". If someone makes an honest dollar, in so doing they are already contributing to society. America is incredibly wealthy because there are a lot of people making honest dollars. And it is a good place because a lot of people give.

Charity is another way to contribute to society, and I think it is incredibly important -- but mostly for the person giving, not those receiving. The act of giving is important, and it shows humility and improves character. Everyone should give 10-30% of their income to a charity of their choice. But most "takers" are certainly unworthy.

iWatas

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Tax write off......

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
Tax write off......
Yep. Iwatas, there are some very worthy charities and nonprofits to donate money to. I should know, I work for one.:angel:

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Iwatas said:
Allen's charities are just a way to waste money. Those charities don't accomplish much. Allen "gives" the most back by running successfull businesses providing services and products people want.

I am all for charity. But charity is not "giving back". If someone makes an honest dollar, in so doing they are already contributing to society. America is incredibly wealthy because there are a lot of people making honest dollars. And it is a good place because a lot of people give.

Charity is another way to contribute to society, and I think it is incredibly important -- but mostly for the person giving, not those receiving. The act of giving is important, and it shows humility and improves character. Everyone should give 10-30% of their income to a charity of their choice. But most "takers" are certainly unworthy.

iWatas
The iWatas Foundation. All proceeds go towards euthanizing the unworthy.

"Won't you give a starving child a lethal injection today?"

barfo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts