Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well? I'm not looking to I say "I told you so" or anything... but I'm just wondering if you supporters of that trade envisioned Kwame looking this bad early? As for me I'm really dreading the fact that I have to watch him for two more years. He disgusts me.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Caron Butler is an above average dime a dozen SF. Smush Parker, an SPL pickup, is performing better than he did at any point last season, including all those worthless 20+ ppg games he had at the end of the year (where he didn't play any defense). Kwame has performed poorly through 6 games, big deal. Laron Profit has been good off the bench, though.

Really, you can't logically argue that the Lakers should miss Caron Butler. You could have given him away for free and this team wouldn't have noticed the loss of his impact, they already have Odom playing his position, and the way Devean George has played this season it actually works out for the better as Devean can at least play defense (I know, Devean seems like he may be worth more than Doritos, shocking).

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
EHL said:
Caron Butler is an above average dime a dozen SF. Smush Parker, an SPL pickup, is performing better than he did at any point last season, including all those worthless 20+ ppg games he had at the end of the year (where he didn't play any defense). Kwame has performed poorly through 6 games, big deal. Laron Profit has been good off the bench, though.

Really, you can't logically argue that the Lakers should miss Caron Butler. You could have given him away for free and this team wouldn't have noticed the loss of his impact, they already have Odom playing his position, and the way Devean George has played this season it actually works out for the better as Devean can at least play defense (I know, Devean seems like he may be worth more than Doritos, shocking).
Devean George isn't worth a bag of Fun'Uns

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
i dont care if kwame gives the lakers 5 pts and 5 rebs
the only reason the lakers made that trade was to get a big man.
kwames BANGING :rocket: bodies with the likes of KG, k-mart, and webber.
plus, if the lakers kept caron butler, instead of trading him for a big, laker fans would of start bashing mitch kupchak anyways. for not getting a big.
so the point is, the trade gave us a starting PF (yeah hes not performing as well as expected but hes still starting :biggrin: )
with devean george coming back we had too many SF anyways..
so no matter what kwame brown gives us, i think we didnt have any choice but to make the trade. so cant really label it as a disaster. more like destiny.

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Jamel Irief said:
Well? I'm not looking to I say "I told you so" or anything... but I'm just wondering if you supporters of that trade envisioned Kwame looking this bad early? As for me I'm really dreading the fact that I have to watch him for two more years. He disgusts me.
I don't like Kwame at all right now but I don't think we should have kept Butler either. If you're arguing that we should have explored another deal for him, I'm with you. However, it makes little to no sense to keep Butler on the roster. He's a SF and a SF only. Lamar's best position is SF and he has a much higher ceiling than Caron does. We couldn't live with Lamar playing PF for another year and getting worn down by bigger, stronger players. It also doesn't make much sense to have Caron come off the bench because he likely wouldn't be playing for more than 15 mins per game. There's just not alot of playing time available at SF or SG on this team. I would have much rather turned Caron and another player or two into Jamal Magloire than Kwame Brown. However, we're stuck with Kwame now so I've got no choice but to support the deal. I'll give you credit for one thing, though. You thought he was a loser and so far he looks like a loser. Bad hands. Bad judgement. Lack of desire. Man on man how that 2001 draft worked out. Tyson Chandler is the best player by default.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Pinball said:
Man on man how that 2001 draft worked out. Tyson Chandler is the best player by default.
Pau Gasol, Richard Jefferson, and Gilbert Arenas might have something to say about that.

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
tone wone said:
Devean George isn't worth a bag of Fun'Uns
and honestly over the past couple years, most laker fans would agree with you. infact alot of us wanted to trade him for a bag of doritos. However through the first couple games this year he has looked pretty decent and someone that i dont cuss out Phil Jackson for putting him in the game. However I probably just jinxed it and will have more fouls than points on monday

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Soooon lol

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
EHL said:

Wow, in order to avoid overly bashing Kwame I got you defending Devean! I'll take that.

I don't like Kwame at all right now but I don't think we should have kept Butler either. If you're arguing that we should have explored another deal for him, I'm with you. However, it makes little to no sense to keep Butler on the roster. He's a SF and a SF only. Lamar's best position is SF and he has a much higher ceiling than Caron does. We couldn't live with Lamar playing PF for another year and getting worn down by bigger, stronger players. It also doesn't make much sense to have Caron come off the bench because he likely wouldn't be playing for more than 15 mins per game. There's just not alot of playing time available at SF or SG on this team. I would have much rather turned Caron and another player or two into Jamal Magloire than Kwame Brown. However, we're stuck with Kwame now so I've got no choice but to support the deal. I'll give you credit for one thing, though. You thought he was a loser and so far he looks like a loser. Bad hands. Bad judgement. Lack of desire. Man on man how that 2001 draft worked out. Tyson Chandler is the best player by default.
Believe me, I wanted the Lakers to trade Butler the minute the Shaq trade went down. But not just for the sake of trading him for the first big available. I said at the time we could of gotten more for him and the Desmond Mason + 1st for Magloire deal proved that. The logic in trading Butler cause you have Odom for Brown would be like having Nash and Kidd on the same team and then trading Nash for Gerald Wallace cause you have no SF.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Give Kwame some time. I know he hasn't played up to par this first 6 games, but a lot of people who have come to the lakers since phil was coach hasn't been able to grasp the triangle. I think this is one of the reasons he's struggling and all he needs is time to adjust.

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Coatesvillain said:
Pau Gasol, Richard Jefferson, and Gilbert Arenas might have something to say about that.
Sorry, I meant among the 3 HS big men. Chandler is the best by default.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Serg LeMagnifique said:
Give Kwame some time. I know he hasn't played up to par this first 6 games, but a lot of people who have come to the lakers since phil was coach hasn't been able to grasp the triangle. I think this is one of the reasons he's struggling and all he needs is time to adjust.
Yeah, that's partially true. At the same, as I said at the beginning of this trade, Kwame Brown has been a loser his entire career and if he doesn't do jack by the ASB he'll very likely never do jack the rest of his career with the Lakers. Which is sad given his physical gifts.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
though odom is a better player than caron...caron has more chemistry with kobe...and he plays with a passion that makes the laker crowd go crazy...even though he over does it sometimes...my point is that chemistry is more important than talent...look at the pistons (though i hate to say it)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts