Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.athlonsports.com/college-basketball/ranking-nations-top-college-basketball-coaches

10. Brad Stevens, Butler
Overall record: 139-40 (11-4 in the NCAA Tournament)
Record at Butler: 139-40 (73-17 Horizon)

By reaching two national championship games, Stevens elevated Butler from plucky mid-major to a national brand. Beyond the NCAA Tournament, no coach has won more games in his first five seasons. The 35-year-old Stevens spurned an opportunity to coach Illinois to bring Butler from the Horizon the tougher Atlantic 10.
12. Shaka Smart, VCU
Overall record: 84-28 (6-2 in the NCAA Tournament)
Record at VCU: 84-28 (38-16 Colonial)

Beyond moving into the A-10 at the same time, Stevens and Smart have a handful of parallels in their careers. Both took over at mid-majors accustomed to success and elevated their profiles in short order -- Stevens took Butler to the Final Four in his third season, Smart did the same for VCU in his second, losing to Stevens’ Bulldogs. Smart has only five fewer wins through his first three seasons (84) than Stevens did in his first three (89).
29. Rick Majerus, Saint Louis
Overall record: 517-216 (19-13 in the NCAA Tournament)
Record at Saint Louis: 96-69 (44-36 A-10)

The longtime Utah coach returned to the bench at Saint Louis in 2007-08 after three seasons out of coaching. Despite injuries and suspensions at Saint Louis, Majerus has proven he hasn’t lost his touch, leading the Billikens to their first NCAA Tournament berth since 2000.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
The Final Four is a powerful feather in a coaches' cap.

Mack actually has a better conference record than Smart, in arguably a tougher conference.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Final Four is a powerful feather in a coaches' cap.

Mack actually has a better conference record than Smart, in arguably a tougher conference.
I agree.

The Final Four is bigger though. As is the fact that he did it coming from a weaker conference and a program with far less recruiting advantages/program prestige/tradition than Xavier.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I know Dunph's numbers are very, very bad in the NCAA Tournament, but in terms of regular season, that's pretty disrespectful to put Majerus over Dunph. That's purely a legacy move to put Majerus ahead of Dunphy. A10 numbers: Majerus: 96-69 (44-36) .582 (.550) . Dunphy: 134-65 (69-27) .673 (.719)

·
Banned
5,541 Posts
I don't think Majerus should be there.
I respectfully disagree.

http://www.athlonsports.com/college-basketball/ranking-nations-top-college-basketball-coaches

10. Brad Stevens, Butler
Overall record: 139-40 (11-4 in the NCAA Tournament)
Record at Butler: 139-40 (73-17 Horizon)

By reaching two national championship games, Stevens elevated Butler from plucky mid-major to a national brand. Beyond the NCAA Tournament, no coach has won more games in his first five seasons. The 35-year-old Stevens spurned an opportunity to coach Illinois to bring Butler from the Horizon the tougher Atlantic 10.
12. Shaka Smart, VCU
Overall record: 84-28 (6-2 in the NCAA Tournament)
Record at VCU: 84-28 (38-16 Colonial)

Beyond moving into the A-10 at the same time, Stevens and Smart have a handful of parallels in their careers. Both took over at mid-majors accustomed to success and elevated their profiles in short order -- Stevens took Butler to the Final Four in his third season, Smart did the same for VCU in his second, losing to Stevens’ Bulldogs. Smart has only five fewer wins through his first three seasons (84) than Stevens did in his first three (89).
29. Rick Majerus, Saint Louis
Overall record: 517-216 (19-13 in the NCAA Tournament)
Record at Saint Louis: 96-69 (44-36 A-10)

The longtime Utah coach returned to the bench at Saint Louis in 2007-08 after three seasons out of coaching. Despite injuries and suspensions at Saint Louis, Majerus has proven he hasn’t lost his touch, leading the Billikens to their first NCAA Tournament berth since 2000.

"What about ME ? I’m kicking ass with Sean Miller’s recruits !"

Also missing from the Top 30: Brad Soderberg, who is kicking ass at Lindenwood University.

What a difference a good coaching change can make !

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Today's Fun Factoid:

Chris Mack in 3 years at Xavier has twice as many NCAA wins (4) as the entire Dayton coaching staff in the modern era, since they expanded to 64 teams in 1985 (2).

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Athlon also ranked all the A10 coaches.
http://www.athlonsports.com/college-basketball/ranking-atlantic-10s-basketball-coaches

The rankings seem mostly fair, though I do think that Dunphy's recent work might put him ahead of Majerus. At the same time, Majerus' previous success does seem to trump that of Dunphy.

Not sure what to think of Archie Miller's ranking. One season of headcoaching experience is more deserving of an incomplete in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Those A-10 coach rankings seem pretty fair. The only questions I have are in regards to Hurley and Pecora. Hurley may turn out to be, and perhaps will likely be, a high quality coach in the A-10. I'm just not sure that his two seasons at Wagner earn him 8th. Also, Pecora's years at Hofstra might warrant placing him a bit higher.

·
Banned
5,541 Posts
Athlon also ranked all the A10 coaches.

http://www.athlonsports.com/college-basketball/ranking-atlantic-10s-basketball-coaches

Not sure what to think of Archie Miller's ranking.

One season of headcoaching experience is more deserving of an incomplete in my opinion.
12. Archie Miller, Dayton

Overall record: 20-13 (no NCAA Tournament appearances)

Record at Dayton: 20-13 (9-7 A-10)

Dayton exceeded expectations by finishing fifth in the A-10 in Miller’s first season despite a depleted roster.
That's Athlon's logic for Archie Miller's 12th-place ranking ?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hurley is not a first year coach. He coached for 9 years at the St. Benedict Prep School posting a win loss record of 223 and 21. Then he went on to Wagner where in his first year he went 13-17 and his second year he went 25-5.

He most definitely knows how to coach and I would absolutely put him in front of Archie miller who has only one year of head coaching experience, And according to Muddy, his first year can't count toward how good a coach he is because they were all BG's recruits.

·
Banned
1,112 Posts
"What about ME ? I’m kicking ass with Sean Miller’s recruits !"
Again, Muddy, I'll ask... How is that any different from Shaka Smart since Mack and Smart have been head coaches at their respective schools for the exact same amount of time (3 years)?

If anything, Mack should get more credit since he had been at Xavier for the 5 years prior helping to recruit and develop recruits along with Miller. Smart was half-way across the country at another school.

·
Banned
1,112 Posts
Today's Fun Factoid:

Chris Mack in 3 years at Xavier has twice as many NCAA wins (4) as the entire Dayton coaching staff in the modern era, since they expanded to 64 teams in 1985 (2).
This is awesome. Muddy, or any other UD fan, care to explain this FACT?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts