Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize it's a little early, but looking at draft express gave me a few ideas.

Here's a short list of guys who I would be interested in around the area we should be picking (in no particular order).

Jeff Withey - C, Kansas
Dario Saric - SF - Cibona Zagreb
Gorgui Dieng - C - Louisville
Trey Burke - PG - Michigan

There are a few names to look at for now!

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Got this from the Lakers forum:

According to Sam Amico, the Los Angeles Lakers are among the teams looking to move up in the draft and nab a lottery pick, possibly by trading Pau Gasol:

The Los Angeles Lakers and Atlanta Hawks are said to be two such teams, with both supposedly exploring the idea of improving their draft position.
Interesting.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Draft Express has Atlanta drafting Gorgui Deng with the 17th pick and Archie Goodwin with the 18th pick (via Joe Johnson trade).

I forgot we got a pick in that deal. Such a smart trade. Too bad this draft blows.

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Hawks Big Board (in no particular order):

KCP
Deng
Dario Saric
Steven Adams
Archie Goodwin
Sergey Karasev
Shane Larkin
Giannis Adetokunbo
Dennis Schroeder

·
Premium Member
17,902 Posts
My Hawks Big Board (in no particular order):

KCP
Deng
Dario Saric
Steven Adams
Archie Goodwin
Sergey Karasev
Shane Larkin
Giannis Adetokunbo
Dennis Schroeder
With all those international players, are you sure that this isn't the KVBL draft board?

·
Premium Member
26,979 Posts
After measuring in at a legit 6'11" with great reach I expect Dieng to be a lottery pick now. Goodwin put on a shooting display that made Rajon Rondo look like Pistol Pete, so he might be available in the second round now. I have no idea what people are seeing in Adetokunbo's highlight reels. Whenever I watch them I'm struck by the absence of actual highlights. And the lack of NBA athleticism. Schroeder I'm more impressed with, though.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
I wouldn't be mad at drafting KCP.. at all. I was surprised he didn't declare last year, but he was the best player on the court in every SEC game I watched this year (admittedly, that's not saying much).

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He's tall, great shooter, young, and he played at Georgia. Seems too easy.

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DraftExpress has us taking Mason Plumlee and Jamal Franklin, I don't know how happy I'd be with that haul. Rather package those picks and move up a little bit if that's an option, though in this scenario we pass up on KCP/Deng/Dario Saric/Shane Larkin. I think we shouldn't be worrying about position, just grab guys who can play. Our roster is in transition or anyways. Plumlee might not be a horrible snag with one of those picks though I suppose.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Hawks brought in Gorgui Dieng this week. 6'11, 230, Big East defensive player of the year. His numbers suggest he isn't an offensive threat, but you can't teach size.

This is what the SB Nation Mock Draft looks like:

1. Cleveland Cavaliers: NERLENS NOEL
2. Orlando Magic BEN MCLEMORE
3. Washington Wizards OTTO PORTER
4. Charlotte Hornets ALEX LEN
5. Phoenix Suns VICTOR OLADIPO
6. New Orleans Pelicans TREY BURKE
7. Sacramento Kings ANTHONY BENNETT (for Philly)
8. Detroit Pistons C.J. MCCOLLUM
9. Minnesota Timberwolves KENTAVIOUS CALDWELL-POPE
10. Portland Trail Blazers RUDY GOBERT (For Phoenix)
11. Philadelphia 76ers MICHAEL CARTER-WILLIAMS (For Sacramento)
12. Oklahoma City Thunder CODY ZELLER
13. Dallas Mavericks SHABAZZ MUHAMMAD
14. Utah Jazz DENNIS SCHROEDER
15. Milwaukee Bucks SHANE LARKIN
16. Boston Celtics GORGUI DIENG
17. Atlanta Hawks GIANNIS ADETOKUNBO
18. Atlanta Hawks MASON PLUMLEE
Do not want Plumlee.

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
KCP 9th, wow.

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I mean, we aren't going to get Burke unless we trade up. If we somehow get Burke I don't imagine we keep Teague.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Ferry must not be sold on Teague.

If Atlanta can't trade up, Franklin and Plumlee are the only names that have been reported for coming in for a 2nd workout with the team.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
Burke, MCW, and C.J. McCollum will all go off the board before the Hawks pick.

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DraftExpress
17th Giannis Adetokunbo
18th Sergey Karasev

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Burke, MCW, and C.J. McCollum will all go off the board before the Hawks pick.
At 17? Sure, but the link I posted mentioned a rumor that Atlanta is involved in trade talks to move up in the draft.

If we don't move up, I would be cool with taking some super young international players. Adetokunbo's scouting report doesn't move me, but Karasev sounds like an interesting prospect.

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Karasev looks like the better prospect between the two because you know his mixture of height and shooting will translate to the next level (6'7 with a 6'9 wingspan), and I think that's something every team can find a use for as long as he's not miserable everywhere else. Very young too, I'd be very happy to bring him in. He was one of the better scorers in his Russian league at only 19, which is pretty rare for international ball.

Rudy Gobert is an international C we could consider, he's rail thin, but he's still only 20 and is a legitimate 7'2" in shoes and a capable shotblocker. There were early talks of him going in the lotto, so he's definitely falling out of favor, but if we're talking 18th overall it might not be a bad roll of the dice.

Dennis Schroeder is another 19 year old international cat I'd really love to fall to us, athletic young PG with a funky but efficient shot. I'd still want us to keep Teague obviously, but it would be great to fill out the backup minutes with a guy who could potentially be a starter down the road (or could flame out in a year).

If we walked away with 2 of those 3 I'd be very happy, especially if they end up being high quality guys.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Jamaal Franklin sounds like a prototypical Bud/Ferry guy. Hard nosed competitor. DraftExpress doesn't have him going until the 24th pick, but the Hawks have worked him out twice so there's a good chance they like him.

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jamaal Franklin sounds like a prototypical Bud/Ferry guy. Hard nosed competitor. DraftExpress doesn't have him going until the 24th pick, but the Hawks have worked him out twice so there's a good chance they like him.
Athletic, great size (6'5", 6'11"+ wingspan), high motor, gritty rebounder, good passer, and defensive playmaker. I'd be happy if we drafted him, especially if they think he can play SF.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts