Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Austin Carr (former NBA player and current television broadcaster for the Cavs) was interviewed this afternoon on LA Sports Radio (XTRA 1150) by Steve Hartman and Mychal Thompson. Here's what he had to say about Darius:

(I'm not putting quotation marks around this because it's not a direct quote - but I took time to write it down immediately after he said it, and I believe that these are his exact words)

Darius Miles could be one of the very best players in the NBA today if he just developed a consistent 15 foot jump shot.

He then made it clear that he doesn't mean that Darius COULD develop into one of the best players, he means that he could be one of the very best players RIGHT NOW if he had that consistent jump shot.

Let's hope that the Blazers re-sign this kid....

·
Registered
401 Posts
and developed his positional defense.

and man-to-man

and learned to pass

and to rebound

and when to shoot

etc., etc. etc.

He has the physical tools, but is FAR FAR away from becoming one of the best players ever. He's RARELY the 2nd or 3rd best player on the floor (or 9th best) during a game......best ever is a little optimistic

·
Registered
649 Posts
As a Cleveland fan, I have heard Austin Carr speak many times while commentating games for the Cavs. All I can tell you is, don't listen to what he says. He likes to exaggerate and plain make things up. If you were to watch a game or two where he was calling it, you would easily see this.

Not to mention, any player WOULD be one of the top players if they had the skills they don't. Darius simply doesn't have the heart needed. He does need a consistent jumper, but he needs the desire to improve and play hard every night first. I have been watching since we traded him, and he seems to be playing well for you. I hope he has finally decided to try on a nightly basis, you guys MIGHT have something special on your hands...But McGinnis has been playing pretty well for us too, so I think it was a great trade for both teams.

Best of luck with Miles, I honestly never wanted him on the Cavs and was glad to see him go, but it was because he did not display the will to win.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Originally posted by <b>TheBowski</b>!
...But McGinnis has been playing pretty well for us too, so I think it was a great trade for both teams.
Everyone here in Portland seemed to spell his name wrong too- it's "McInnis." :cool:

Jeff is going 'fro in Cleveland! He didn't do that much in Portland.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As a Cleveland fan, I have heard Austin Carr speak many times while commentating games for the Cavs. All I can tell you is, don't listen to what he says. He likes to exaggerate and plain make things up. If you were to watch a game or two where he was calling it, you would easily see this.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, it's nice to hear things that fit your hopes/expectations, but there are people out there who look at things with rose-colored glasses.

But McGinnis has been playing pretty well for us too, so I think it was a great trade for both teams.
And I thought we wouldn't see this on the board any more..... :nonono:

Sorry, TheBowski, it's an inside joke on the board about the spelling of Jeff's name. No offense intended.

·
Registered
649 Posts
sorry

I knew I was probably spelling his name wrong, but I was just too lazy to look it up. My apologies.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: sorry

I knew I was probably spelling his name wrong, but I was just too lazy to look it up. My apologies.
No apology necessary. As I said, it's become an inside joke on the board, one that we can't resist jumping on whenever it comes up.

Unless, of course, you mean George McGinnis.....:D

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Originally posted by <b>cram</b>!
and developed his positional defense.

and man-to-man

and learned to pass

and to rebound

and when to shoot
Your sarcasm is mis-placed. Miles is actually quite good in all those categories. Shooting is his glaring weakness.

He has the physical tools, but is FAR FAR away from becoming one of the best players ever.
You didn't read very closely. He said "today," not "ever."

Dan

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
As a Blazer, Darius Miles will never amount to anything. However, he will amount to something.

Look it up.................

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
He could be a great player if he learned to shoot outside.

He has blown me off my feet since he came over from Cleveland. I was expecting a guy who cant play, but Miles has been the most efficient blazer latley.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ThatBlazerGuy</b>!
He could be a great player if he learned to shoot outside.

He has blown me off my feet since he came over from Cleveland. I was expecting a guy who cant play, but Miles has been the most efficient blazer latley.
I agree. I really hope Portland keeps Miles. He really brings a lot to the table.

·
Registered
936 Posts
If Portland doesn't resign Miles, they will have made a HUGE mistake. This is where he belongs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts