Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But you failed. Shut up.

There are no silver medals in superstar sweepstakes.

The Suns went for the gold in trying to negotiate a deal to acquire James Harden from Oklahoma City, but Houston landed the gold medalist Saturday.

The Suns have assets of salary-cap space, draft picks (10 in the next three years) and players on good contracts but no offering struck Oklahoma City’s fancy, and the Thunder sought more than Phoenix was willing to give.

“We were engaged in discussions on numerous occasions,” Suns President of Basketball Operations Lon Babby said. “We most recently met in person when we played them (in Tulsa, Okla., on Oct. 19). At the end of the day, there wasn’t a deal that was workable for both sides.”

Babby said no proposal “got a whole lot of life.” He did not specify the pieces or the time frame of the talks but mentioned that the deliberations were not a one-sided pursuit.

Houston now has the All-Star it had been seeking in a roster makeover that included using its amnesty waiver on Luis Scola, who Phoenix claimed with the top bid. The Rockets sent Oklahoma City a package of Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb and two first-round picks. They will sign Harden to a maximum five-year deal worth nearly $80 million.

Martin and Lamb address immediate and long-term off-guard needs in Harden’s absence.

Houston has four players remaining from last season, when Scola and the Suns’ Goran Dragic played there. Only Patrick Patterson remains from 2010-11.

“They were looking for an All-Star,” Scola said. “I think they have one in James Harden.”

It gave a shake-up to the West, where Oklahoma City is a contender and teams like Houston and Phoenix battle to get into the top eight.

“It was a great trade for both teams,” Suns coach Alvin Gentry said. “Houston gets a really, really good player that’s on his way to being a superstar. Oklahoma City gets a good young player (Lamb) and a really established player in Kevin Martin, and they also get some draft picks.”
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...-says-phoenix-suns-made-run-james-harden.html

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
The Suns don't need James Harden, the Suns need to land a franchise player. Draft picks and/or cap space, not fringe all-stars.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I would of been happy with Harden for the price OKC was offering but not max. He may be worth it on the market but I don't think he has the talent to be THE guy on a championship caliber team.

·
Administrator
67,768 Posts
He's better than Eric Gordon.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^Agreed. Much prefer him. Now, we're left with no options next summer. Bleh.

The Suns don't need James Harden, the Suns need to land a franchise player. Draft picks and/or cap space, not fringe all-stars.

No shit, he's not a franchise guy. But those guys don't fall off trees. You either bottom out land one if you're lucky or plug away til someone does. But you can collect talent in meantime. This roster doesn't much of it regardless.

·
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
18,794 Posts
To quote the great Jack Donaghy, "There was only one way out, so fighting every natural instinct I have, I did the thing I hated the most. I climbed down into the darkness. And when I came back to camp, I went to the person who cut my line and said, "Connie Chung, you saved my life.""

1 - 7 of 7 Posts