Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Swirsky mentioned that in his discussion with babcock that North Carolina continues to come up in the conversation. I think <b>Jarrett Jack</b> is the best pick esp since it could greatly increase the chances of bringing bosh back - however Babs is totally unpredictable.

<b>Raymond Felton</b> seems the most likely candidate for Sam Mitchell style & I would not rule out <b>Rashad McCants</b>.

Some mocks NBADRAFT.NET have <b>Deron williams</b> ahead of him but I agree with Draft City they have Felton ahead of Deron Williams.

<b>Deron</b> had a tough game yesterday 0-4 from behind the NCAA arch and 3-9 over all with 6 a ssists. Did not look too impressive but did win the game. Should go deep into the tourney so he has a chance to erase the memory of that game.

I would not be suprised to see the Raptors get PG with their top pic and tandem Skip with who ever it is much like (<b>hinrich & Gordon</b> or <b>Nash & VanX</b>).

Should be a huge upgrade from <b>palacio & skip</b> . Also I think it would put a healthy pressure on <b>skip</b> to conform and not go balistic.

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
There are going to be a lot of PG's out there.
I think Babcock will either pick Jarrett Jack or Raymond Felton as you said.
I don't think Paul will be available with our 1st pick.
I'm pretty sure though that at least one either Jack or Raymond will be available when it's our turn to pick.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Babs is scouting all over. Lots of ACC talent to look at. He also talked about the great job Eddie Sutton is doing in Oklahoma. Suposedly the Raps have scouted Gerald Green pretty heavily as well.

Felton and Paul are the only PGs I would consider with our first pick. But I really think we should be looking for a star SG or SF with that first pick. PGs are riskier and there are a lot of PG's available all through the draft. I like Anthony Roberson in the second round. Watched 2 or 3 Florida games this year.

Watching these players work out against each other will determine who the Raps will favour. Its the only real way to compare quickness and gauge competitiveness on D. Scoring ability you can judge from game action.

·
Banned
597 Posts
When scouting draft picks, one of the factors they are trying to determine is whether the player has the potential to develop even more when in the NBA. Some of these college players have plateaued and what you see is what you get and no more. Most of the rookie duds were just not able to improve their game because they were limited either mentally or physically.

You can make big men a long term project, but when you are looking for PGs you must expect almost instant performance and continuing improvement. You cannot make a PG a project because it's not possible to give them adequate playing time to develop. That would be disasterous for any team.

So when you are watching the PG or SG performances in the tournament, the question you should be asking yourself is will that player provide instant game or will he be learning on the bench. That's what Babcock is trying to determine ..... and it's difficult to predict.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MonsterBosh said:
When scouting draft picks, one of the factors they are trying to determine is whether the player has the potential to develop even more when in the NBA. Some of these college players have plateaued and what you see is what you get and no more. Most of the rookie duds were just not able to improve their game because they were limited either mentally or physically.
That is what they said about Mo Pete "... he is as NBA ready as anyone in the draft but as a 4th year player he has realized his potential..."

MonsterBosh said:
You can make big men a long term project, but when you are looking for PGs you must expect almost instant performance and continuing improvement. You cannot make a PG a project because it's not possible to give them adequate playing time to develop. That would be disasterous for any team.

So when you are watching the PG or SG performances in the tournament, the question you should be asking yourself is will that player provide instant game or will he be learning on the bench. That's what Babcock is trying to determine ..... and it's difficult to predict.
The other thing that is a huge asset for PG's being scouted is their defensive ability. Can they at least "hold their own" while they are on the NBA learning curve.

Turkish Delight said:
There are going to be a lot of PG's out there.
I think Babcock will either pick Jarrett Jack or Raymond Felton as you said.
I don't think Paul will be available with our 1st pick.
I'm pretty sure though that at least one either Jack or Raymond will be available when it's our turn to pick.
With an emphasis being on toughness and defense I think Jack is the one who Babs should take. I am sure Bosh has already put a bug in Babs ear about that one.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I hope GT and Jerrad Jack don't do well in the NCAA tournement, that should leave him available with our second pick (Philly), where Felton would be chosen in the 8-10 range.

With our first pick we need a SF,SG prospect (Green, Warrick)
I am really high on our second pick, I believe there will be quite a few mid-lotto sleepers that can really make a name for themselves in the NBA

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I would like to think that Babcock is looking at UNC freshman Marvin Williams, he has what we neen out of the three spot. 6'9" 230 lbs can rebound block shots has a very good college 3 point %, This is a player who I think can contribute on a Raptors team that lacks a long wing player.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I would think of him as a true small forward, able to shoot from out side, post up smaller players, grab a fair share of boards, toss down an allley oop and play some solid "D".

When was the last time Peterson took someone in the post and made a back to the basket move, or caught a lob?

I think he would be able to compliment Bosh well, as Bosh increases his range he could be used as a low post passer. When Chris demands a double team in the post then he can cut to the hoop or get the kick out for the open shot. I feel that with CB4 on the floor he could be a sneaky offensive rebounder as well.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
billfindlay10 said:
I would like to think that Babcock is looking at UNC freshman Marvin Williams, he has what we neen out of the three spot. 6'9" 230 lbs can rebound block shots has a very good college 3 point %, This is a player who I think can contribute on a Raptors team that lacks a long wing player.
A) he would have to declare. This is unlikely unless UNC win it all.
B) We would need to be in the top 3 to have a shot, ie win a spot in the lottery.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
I would not rule out Rashad McCants
I hope to God we don't even think of drafting this guy. 6'2 shooting guard with below average handle and passing skills. He is not a good defender and is a headcase.

I hope GT and Jerrad Jack don't do well in the NCAA tournement, that should leave him available with our second pick (Philly), where Felton would be chosen in the 8-10 range.

With our first pick we need a SF,SG prospect (Green, Warrick)
I am really high on our second pick, I believe there will be quite a few mid-lotto sleepers that can really make a name for themselves in the NBA
Think about it. If GT and Jarrett Jack don't do well in the tournie, he will be determined to prove himself for another year and come back to try and lead his team to the promised land. I always hope the player I want goes far in the tournament, so they are satisfied and actually declare.

As for our second pick, it won't be mid-lottery, as of now it looks like it wont be lottery at all, unfortunately.

but is he a wing player?

could be like trying to fit dirk with walker/jamison.
Marvin Williams is definetly a wing player.

Roy Williams has him playing post because of his size, and wirey strength. I'd like to see him play the perimeter more, but thats not what hes told to do. But, he does have good ball handling skills, great passing ability, good form on his jumper (despite being a little inconsistent), good post game, good rebounder. Thats about everything you'd want in a prototypical SF.

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
I'm pretty sure there's no way Jack goes back for a senior year. He's pretty much NBA ready at this point, and will be a 1st round pick, potentially lottery. He's already had some NCAA tourney success, and staying another year won't improve his stock at all. Remember, Vince Carter and Antawn Jamison ended their 3-year careers at UNC on a disappointing note and still declared. Just using those two as similar situations.

Plus he's gotta be aware of the great chance that he might be reunited with one of his best friends in Bosh, and that should have at least a little to do with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts