Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What ever happened to the rule against palming the ball while dribbling. Some of these guys take two or three steps while palming the ball. Used to be called a turn over, but is not called these day's. Just wondering.........

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
Because they can do more exciting things when they palm, and the masses like sportscenter highlights. :puke:

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
HeinzGuderian said:
Because they can do more exciting things when they palm, and the masses like sportscenter highlights. :puke:
Right, if everything would be called exactly, no player would ever try to do something spectacular or something new...but I think everybody likes it like it is right now!

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Diesel said:
What ever happened to the rule against palming the ball while dribbling. Some of these guys take two or three steps while palming the ball. Used to be called a turn over, but is not called these day's. Just wondering.........
It was written off the rule book when Michael Jordan started playing, that´s what.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
They rarely call alot of plays which are traveling as well. It's kind of funny that in highschool games kids are required to follow the rules of basketball more than professionals. I see traveling and palming called all the time in highschool games while the pro's can do almost anything they want.

I guess if you are a fan of a team with a player that really uses the palming to gain an advantage than you probably think it's OK. If you a fan of a team playing that player and he gets by your guy with what should be an illegal move than you probably are not in favor of allowing it.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
it's this reason that it's difficult to objectively view the game from the 60s and 70s and conclude on players abilities. you can look at tape of cousy and think the guy couldn't dribble, until you understand that that's the way they had to dribble. the game, from a ballhandling standpoint, was alot more awkward. by definition.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Funny thing. Last night they called it on Parker(it was pretty obvious by the replay). On the next play one guy from the Warriors did it and the refs didn't call it. Pop went ballistic over it.

Still it's pretty much impossible to stop Iverson, Parker, Wade if they palm the ball. It's not even fair.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Referees in pro sports are trained to go by the rules (obviously), but also to make calls only if the violation is blatantly obvious or will have a significant effect on the game. If a player travels or palms it at halfcourt and then continues his dribble, the refs aren't going to call it, just because it's an unnecessary stoppage of the game. Let the players play.

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
HeinzGuderian said:
My English teacher said you can't start a sentence with the word "because".

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Ballscientist said:
Post of the Year Nominee.

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Sad Mafioso said:
Post of the Year Nominee.
Thank you so much for not giving me the award.

·
Premium Member
3,482 Posts
Palming or carrying is much more frequent than traveling yet is called far less. The refs usually only like to call it if it gives an advantage. They usually do not call it when a guard is standing out on the perimeter just waiting for something to develop. Several pg's do this all the time.

The advantage with palming one on one is the hesitation it creates. Defenders don't know if the offensive player is going to rise up for the jumper or cross them over, or simply blow by them. It keeps the defender on his toes.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Palming is more exciting and dramatic. It's not like anyone has completely gotten carried away with it. No one is picking the ball up and running with it. The refs are doing a good job of keeping the game in balance generally. Remember, this is also about entertainment, and the game is just plain better to watch with more leeway in ballhandling.

The real thing that never gets called is the push off combined with the crossover, that more and more players are doing post Jordan-Russell. Guys like Marbury or Wade will cross their man up and give him that little touch that makes him fall down, and all of us laugh. Actually...don't call that either. Watching Wade break Snow, even though I was rooting for the Cavs, was good stuff.

If you think dribbling is insane now, Iverson's rookie year was really the high point(or low point depending on how you look at it) of dribbling. That Iverson crossover he used to be allowed to do, was NASTY.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Ballscientist said:
All your base are belong to us.

As for palming, I don't want too see more turnovers. Some stars get 4 a game. Call me crazy but there are 30 teams, they can't all get 48 minutes of sound dribbling from guards who can get a shot off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts