Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watched these videos earlier today (not sure why they are not currently available)
and though not sure what you can really tell from "best of" clips, but Bargnani
does seem to really move well for his size, has a really nice stroke with range,
and attacks the basket. May not be the banger the Bulls need like Thomas,
but he doesn't like another Tskita either.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6131822744621417810&q=bargnani
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6413229403014366549&q=bargnani&pl=true
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8507760607728565556&q=bargnani&pl=true

He seems to have a lot of Songalia skills, but is taller, faster, a better athlete, and has more range

· Registered
5,207 Posts
Dammit, I want Bargnani. Proof that he exists is good enough. :biggrin:

That being said, TT still seems like a safer pick. But grrrrrrrrrrrrr, as long as Bargnani will drive and get to the line, then he's our guy.

One knock on him though is that I think he may be hard to coach, or may be a selfish teammate, but that's just hearsay.

· Registered
3,393 Posts
Well, a few reality moments:

These are highlight videos. So only his highlights are going to be shown.
He seems to be on the perimeter a little much. Hard to fault him when he's hitting.

OK, now for the Holy CARP.

Watching this reminded a bit of AK-47 and some of Dirk.
I have seen a couple of other clips floating around that are just as impressive with him dunking and rejecting opponents shots.

I love how when his opponent challenges his outside shot he drives to the basket and makes it or gets fouled (I wish we had more guys on our team who would do that).

I like on Defense he not only blocked shots, but also crashed the boards often.

He's a big mismatch on the offensive side. Defensively it's hard to tell. The effort and skills are there, but he definitely needs to bulk up and how will he adjust to the banging in the NBA. I did see a few times where he took it right into defenders and took the hard fouls.

Right now, I am really torn between TT, Bargnani and Lamarcus Aldridge. Good news as long as we are top 4 I think we end up with one of them. Regardless, I think we improve greatly with the addition of any of these guys.

I really wish Tyson wasn't such a deathstick. If we knew he would become more than a deathstick, we could narow it down better. Right now, when I look at these three guys, I ignore that CHandler is one the team. He's just not reliable.

Tyrus Thomas gives us every bit of the Defense Tyson does and more. Wish we had seen more of his offensive moves (besides dunking) if he has any. He makes Tyson useless.

LaMarcus is such a fundamentally sound, right position, developed moves, but non contact guy. He might actually fit in with Tyson who would continue his role of master defender, obscenely inadequate offender.

Bargnani is the hybrid between these two guys. He doesn't shy away from contact, has the skills to score in a multitude of ways, could become that go-to-guy we really need desperately (see loss to orlando for more proff we have no one). His defense is no where near Thomas, but appears good enough to better than average. He would be the best fit IMO with Chandler the Basketball wonderlic. Tyson can patrol the lane and not get more than 5 feet from the basket on both ends of the floor.

If I were on the clock and had all 3 available and going only on what I've seen......I go Bargnani.

Bargnani then hope for O'Bryant with our pick #14. I sign Harrington in the off-season to start and put up consistent point from our PF postition. I also sign Nazr, Ely or Pryz to again start.

Yes, we would have an abundance of frontcourt guys, but we should be able to move big for small (SG) that we need. I also believe that Bargnani and O'Bryant will need two years before they emerge as starter quality guys. I would also try to sign DeMarr Johnson to back up the SG position.

PG - Hinrich, Duhon
SG - Gordon, Johnson
SF - Deng, Nocioni
PF - Harrington, Bargnani, Songalia
C - Nazr, Chandler, O'Bryant

Towel waivers - Pargo, Sweetney and open roster slot

· Registered
566 Posts
What you see is what you get. Bargnani is not a post player so if you're looking for a player to bang inside Andrea is not your choise. If you're lookin for a 7 footer that can shoot and drive then he is as good as it gets. His game really reminds of Dirks.

· Registered
3,393 Posts
JPTurbo said:
Don't get me wrong I love what I see from his abilities, but is another jump shooter really what we need?

I think he can quickly develop a inside post game, should he need it. Reports I've read is he's a workout warrior.

Regardless, if you can use all of your abilities to cause mismatches, we can use it. He does seem to like to drive, drawl the foul and make some tough shots. Will he have that swagger and confidence in the NBA?? That's something else with all of these guys.

As for post moves, none of the draftees have solid post moves (unless dunking is considered a solid post move). Aldridge has the closest to a good range of post moves.

I also believe his ability to take his man will create open looks for everybody else. He can play closer to basket and be effective. Real question I have is on the defensive end. Will he be able to hold his own against PF's in the league?

Again, Bargnani may be the best 24-30 minute guy available. Especially considering he's been playing that role in Italy for two years now.

His game is years ahead of others, but his body isn't there.

Again, any one of TT, LA or Barg would be an improvement over what we currently have.

· Registered
893 Posts
He's a SF....He'd address size issues...But won't address those issues in the paint.

I still wouldn't mind if we drafted him...He's a star.

And Splitter is garbage...From his "highlight" video's...He's nothing special at all.

· Registered
219 Posts
smARTmouf said:
And Splitter is garbage...From his "highlight" video's...He's nothing special at all.
I think you would say the same thing about Duncan...

Splitter is doesn´t do anything flashy, but he makes the things effectivilly. He would be our best man to man defender, he is already arguablly the best PF/C defender in Europe. He is fundamantaly sound, I´m sure Paxson and Skiles would fall in love with him, he isn´t an amazing offensive player but I think he is good enough to put 10/14 ppg in his rookie year. He isn´t the tipic "european" player (he isn´t even european), 4 years ago he had range, could be SF, now he doesn´t hava 3 point range, he is banger and play inside. But he definitily won´t look good in an highlight clip, the same as Duncan...

I´m hoping for Bargnani or this Tyrus Thomas with the Knicks pick, and Splitter with our pick.

· Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
JPBulls said:

Splitter is doesn´t do anything flashy, but he makes the things effectivilly. He would be our best man to man defender, he is already arguablly the best PF/C defender in Europe. He is fundamantaly sound, I´m sure Paxson and Skiles would fall in love with him, he isn´t an amazing offensive player but I think he is good enough to put 10/14 ppg in his rookie year. He isn´t the tipic "european" player (he isn´t even european), 4 years ago he had range, could be SF, now he doesn´t hava 3 point range, he is banger and play inside. But he definitily won´t look good in an highlight clip, the same as Duncan...

I´m hoping for Bargnani or this Tyrus Thomas with the Knicks pick, and Splitter with our pick.
Out of the bigs, Splitter would probably be the best fit for us. However, I don't see an inkling of "star power" in him. He would certainly be a great pick if we were a 4 or 5 seed looking to add one more piece to get over the top. With our current squad, I think we need to gamble a bit more on the "potential".

This is why I have Aldridge, Bargnani, Noah, and Thomas all rated above him. I do like Splitter more than O'Bryant, Williams, and Glen Davis.

A Bargnani/Splitter draft sounds very intriguing if a quality wing we were looking at is gone by the second pick. Even Aldridge/Splitter, Noah/Splitter, or Thomas/Splitter... Point being, Splitter would be a nice complement to whomever we draft with the NY pick (assuming he is still available of course). Our frontcourt would be extremely young and inexperienced, and we'd almost have to sign a vet to come in with Tyson and the kids if we do draft big with both picks. Someone in the AD mold, if not AD himself.

· Registered
1,568 Posts
as much as i advocate acquiring size, i suspect paxson will opt for experienced bigs as opposed to one of the much bandied triumverate of aldridge, thomas and noah. all three will be in the league at some point, but none look like they're ready to be impact players at the next level; YET. an athlete with 'star' potential might be where pax's head is at, if a trade doesn't materialize.

i could see pax gambling based on the scouting reports for one of the euros, but picking 2; no way......

roy, carney, williams, brewer all seem like solid choices with a trade of one of the picks happening. i'm hoping pax doesn't include a pick with a S&T for harrington or gooden; imo, he'd be better off just offering more $$ than the other guy can pay, or at the least swapping picks so that he'll have trade leverage down the line.

nene, pryzbilla, wilcox, wright, et al seem like better fits for the bull interior. this way there's less waiting for "development" on a big guy.

but who knows? obviously we fans don't.......

· Registered
10,191 Posts
BULLHITTER said:
as much as i advocate acquiring size, i suspect paxson will opt for experienced bigs as opposed to one of the much bandied triumverate of aldridge, thomas and noah. all three will be in the league at some point, but none look like they're ready to be impact players at the next level; YET. an athlete with 'star' potential might be where pax's head is at, if a trade doesn't materialize.

i could see pax gambling based on the scouting reports for one of the euros, but picking 2; no way......

roy, carney, williams, brewer all seem like solid choices with a trade of one of the picks happening. i'm hoping pax doesn't include a pick with a S&T for harrington or gooden; imo, he'd be better off just offering more $$ than the other guy can pay, or at the least swapping picks so that he'll have trade leverage down the line.

nene, pryzbilla, wilcox, wright, et al seem like better fits for the bull interior. this way there's less waiting for "development" on a big guy.

but who knows? obviously we fans don't.......

Actually, both Bargnani and Splitter are every bit as experienced as most anyone entering the draft. If I'm not mistaken, they're both 21 years old. Both have several years of experience in a COMPETITIVE Euro league. Both have played major roles for good teams and have played in big games. This is the same sort of pedigree that made Pau Gasol so good from the day he entered the NBA. So Pax better get these guys in for a workout.

· Registered
893 Posts
JPBulls said:

nah.

i think smooth stiffness when i think of duncan...he's effectively stiff...lol

Splitter...i saw clips of him trippin over his own feet...looking like as much of a force down low as songelia

· Registered
3,393 Posts
smARTmouf said:
nah.

i think smooth stiffness when i think of duncan...he's effectively stiff...lol

Splitter...i saw clips of him trippin over his own feet...looking like as much of a force down low as songelia

LOL - I saw the clip of Tyrus Thomas dancing and have concluded he is the next mark Madsen.............

Those two will never be on dancing with the stars.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.