Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Patrick Garrity and Hillary Read
Free Press Staff Writers

Marcus Barnes logged 36 minutes in Northeastern's 77-70 win over Albany on Sunday, but his presence in the Huskies lineup does not necessarily mean he has avoided discipline from America East Conference.

Barnes is at the center of the University of Vermont's request for the league to look into an incident involving the Northeastern guard that took place in the Catamounts' win over the Huskies on Jan. 7.

The incident occurred late in the second half when Barnes clipped the heels of UVM's David Hehn during a Catamounts' fast break, sending the two players tumbling to the floor. Television replays --including those of New England Sports Network, which was broadcasting the game -- showed Barnes landing on Hehn, and Hehn's face striking the floor. Hehn was left with a broken nose, chipped teeth and facial lacerations.

America East commissioner Chris Monasch was to review a video tape of the incident, but Monasch spent the weekend at the NCAA Convention in Nashville, Tenn., and only received a tape Sunday night, said Matt Bourque, assistant commissioner. Bourque said no determination had been made regarding disciplinary action.

Monasch might be spending a lot of time with his VCR in the next few days. A flagrant foul by Binghamton's Alex Adediran during Saturday's game at Boston U. also is under review. That game, coincidentally, was broadcast on NESN, too.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
The incidents.

In the Barnes incident the Commissioners Office has to review the tape make a decision ( which means nothing will probably be done).

In my opinion (which carries no weight) I felt Everhart and his staff made a major "faux pas" by starting and playing a player who got ejected by getting 2 Ts in a close game, almost fighting with the opposing coach and then told a NU staff member to "F" Off before leaving the court.

Playing and starting Barea sent a clear message to the NU Team and school as what is important. It also sent a message to every team and coach in the league.

Regardless of any outcomes NU has not done anything to help their image and reputation.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I've heard a decision will come about today or tomorrow, and won't be for more than one game.

I'm thinking Barnes gets a game, and Adedrian (sorry if I botched the spelling, Bearcat Fans) gets a game.

Monasch is (albeit delayed) trying to show some balls here.

How come the world can see the Paris Hilton video about 10 minutes after its released, but it takes Monasch a week to see the tape of a game that was on cable tv??? The AE can't e-mail Monasch the file?

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
NU Hoop Fan

Hoop Fan did you really expect the Commissioner to act swiftly and decisively on any matter. Whatever the decisions are you know the commish will delay and hedge.

I would have loved to have heard him respond right away - it was accidental or it was intentional and here's what we're doing.

End of story, but this is the AE - it has to become a long drawn out "Soap Opera" with no real closure.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
It makes NO sense...

Matt Bourque was at the game, so he saw everything from courtside. I know he talked to people at NU after the game, and he probably got an earful from Tommy B as well.

I've got to believe Bourque must have said SOMETHING to Monasch. If you think about it, Monasch not looking at the tapes sooner is a big of a deal since he's keeping teams in limbo.

The AE produces these games for crissakes, how hard is it to Fed Ex a tape from Boston to Nashville?

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Matt Bourque

From what I've seen Matt Bourque is a nice guy but has no authority or influence in the AE office. If he did - something would have been done immediately.

Either accidental or intentional!!! That's it.

Why couldn't Bourque as the league offices representative ( if he had any authority) view the tape that night or the next day and advise the commish.

Now NU has already played a game since and has another game tomorrow.Two teams are working on game plans that will be thrown out the window if a suspension comes down.

From what I've heard VT. is really pushing this issue (and rightfully so from their point of view). The AE office should have realized that right away and acted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts